Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations

[Co...]

Colin my experience has always been qhs for every night never used qn in the States that I know of

btw what is sticky

Pennyblue

At the top of most threads, there are posts that have a little push pin.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Wh...]

• [Kl...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin my experience has always been qhs for every night never used qn in the States that I know of

btw what is sticky

Pennyblue

At the top of most threads, there are posts that have a little push pin.

Oops - missed that.

Theresa meant "At the top of most boards". When viewing the listing the titles of threads (topics) on a board, some are permanently displayed at the top, irrespective of when the received their last reply. They carry a pushpin image, and the backround colour to the title is darker too.

• 7 months later...

Couple of terms i did not see on the list.

GTT = Drops.

AC = Before meals.

HS = At bedtime.

Q = Every.

TID = Three times a day.

X = Times.

Not that important just thought they could be added to the list.

Dane

Hi Buddies

I have sometimes heard Doctors in a social situation when discussing a patients condition use the phrase " Train Wreck"!

Teakettle

Hi Buddies

I have sometimes heard Doctors in a social situation when discussing a patients condition use the phrase " Train Wreck"!

Teakettle

So that would be T.W. then!? OK! ::)

You know, I've heard another phrase used by doctors in in a similar context: a complete teakettle. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I thought SOB was something else.  :laugh:

A most unfortunate abbreviation used by doctors. But I think its use in medicine predated current slang.....

• 2 months later...
[ec...]

I like the Medical Abbreviations, I know all of them.. there's a lot of them...A-Z.

LOL, I actually use them in my journal..

One I recall: SGOT or SGO-T, which means serum glutamic oxalacetic transaminase.

There's so many, some Doc's have their own way of shorthand or Medical Abbrev.

S#

• 6 months later...
[19...]

s/s- signs and symptoms

c/o- is one that someone could get confused  :D I use it as crossover, but it means "complaint of"... in Med. Shorthand.

• 2 weeks later...
My best advice to members is to explain their shorthand the first time they use it in every post they make. Abbreviations are unfair to Newbies (new members) [see what I did there ;)], and sometimes can even catch me out after all these years.

Maybe we should write up a similar sticky for commonly used phrases used on this forum. What do you all think?

I think this is a grand idea Colin, as I struggle sometimes to understand BB acronyms like dp/dr ?!?#$*

As a former R.N. I understand medical speak, but there is one that you missed that is a personal fav.  While I have seen it only used for reading X Rays, I have found it to be a very useful description at times:

FOS = full of sh*t

[19...]

What I remember of Medical Abbreviations, most doctor's have their own way of abbreviating, not so much q or po, bid, tid, qid, but they shorthand things.

Also in Mathematics, these abbreviations are used/ some of them.. like the "and" symbol which is a loop, c, s, f(x), or fx.. which is actually function, I have seen some doc's write it out like that. Also other symbols and Abbreviations, depending.

The symbols I know are-

q every

po by mouth

c/o complaint of

s/s signs and symptoms

c with or /c

s without or /s

bid 2 x a day

tid 3 x a day

qid 4 times a day

ad lib to tolerate (as much as needed)

bx biopsy

dx diagnoses

hx history

L left

R right

For example:

Valium 10mg

bid po c AQ

2 times a day by mouth with Water.

Just an example.

Forum Wise

w/d withdrawal

c/o cross over

sx's or s/x symptoms

x is times

X Xanax

V Valium

K Klonopin

A Ativan

People abbreviate differently. I know most of them, but when it comes to new members, it's always good to not abbreviate.

S#

• 2 months later...
Thanks Whoopsi and Sigma, Those sound like very difficult symptoms to deal with. I have had the anxiety attacks and mental fog but I am grateful that I don't think I have had the DP/DR thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks....the next stumper for me is what is "CNS" ?

Also...I love the support here at BB but I just naturally want to look for a list of abbreviations in the "Community Documents and Policies" section since not all abbreviations have to do with withdrawal support???