Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations

[Co...]

Hi,

I've added 'CNS' to the list in the opening post.

This topic probably doesn't deserve its own Community Policy & Documents thread, but it might be useful to add it to the FUM.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Wh...]

• [Kl...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[5d...]
This topic probably doesn't deserve its own Community Policy & Documents thread, but it might be useful to add it to the FUM.

I think that would be nice to add it to the FUM.

Ok, I feel really bad/benzo brained.  What is the "FUM"??  BUT on the good side I had actually guessed that CNS was central nervous system. I just wanted to be sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LonestarRN,

You may have found your answer already since you posted it a couple weeks ago, but from what I understand, a wave is feeling miserable from heavy symptoms, and a window is a moment, a day or week of feeling somewhat normal.

hope that helps

• 3 months later...

Hey,

Start a new thread, asking for contributions, and we can sticky the thread.

I think it should include any commonly used terms on this forum.

"Cold turkey"

"Window"

"Thread"

"Sticky"

"shout" (and shoutbox)

"PM" (Personal Message)

Just a few suggestions.

I think this was a great idea!!  If it was done, where can I find it?  I'm having a hard time understanding the specifics of things like "waves" and "flares".  What is the difference??  Thanks!!!  Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Start a new thread, asking for contributions, and we can sticky the thread.

I think it should include any commonly used terms on this forum.

"Cold turkey"

"Window"

"Thread"

"Sticky"

"shout" (and shoutbox)

"PM" (Personal Message)

Just a few suggestions.

I think this was a great idea!!  If it was done, where can I find it?  I'm having a hard time understanding the specifics of things like "waves" and "flares".  What is the difference??  Thanks!!!  Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

Hi,

I think just about all those terms are referenced in the FUM (Forum User Manual). The FUM needs an overhaul, and I might include a section detailing abbreviations.

I prefer to not encourage clique-speak phrases, such as X, V, windows, etc. The use of such phrases are confusing to newer members and visitors, and excluding. So, I probably wouldn't create such a resource.

Colin.

I see that I have already included a few common abbreviations used at this forum. Still, I would encourage members to not use uncommon abbreviations or euphemisms that may not be easily understood. I am willing to add some more abbreviations to this list. Although i don;t encourage the wholesale use of such abbreviations, the reality is that they are used. I try to be pragmatic, deal with reality, rather than stick rigidly to an unobtainable ideal situation.

• 2 weeks later...

sunnyside let me know of a mistake in the list:

q.i.d. is the medical term for 4 times a day, not every 4 hours.

Every 4 hours would be written as:  q4h

I've updated the list to take account of sunnyside's correction.

Thanks, sunnyside.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for this, but could you put this info where new members can find it?  People don't write out what the abbreviations stand for and I can't hold them in my head...  Yep, already forgot what sx stands for...

Hello Icarus,

This post is called a "sticky topic", thats why its at the top of the board.  We put it there so members will see it first before reading the other posts.  I read through all the sticky topics when I first joined.

BTW, sxs stands for symptoms.

pianogirl

pianogirl,

Thank you so much for your helpfulness and your patience with me.  I have never done anything like this before and if feels really awkward...especially trying to do the right thing when I'm not feeling well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not sure if these fit the profile of the post, but lots of us mention our HR and BP.

HR - heart rate

BP - blood pressure

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Amy

• 2 months later...

Somehow I had the notion from the beginning here that all these shaded threads at the top were all locked.  Boy was I glad to finally try just clicking on them... lots of good info... I've finally figured out alot of these abb. but great list and helped to clarify some that were still vague.  I wondered why so many great sounding threads were all locked up  :idiot:.  I have a whole new wealth of information to peruse.  I should've known to reread the directions considering my state of mind when I got here.  Hope you are all having a bountiful, if yet, uncomfortable day.  ..."the sun will shine through my back door someday."  _GD

"

Hi Njoy,

Some of these sticky threads are locked and some aren't. The one's that are locked have been locked because some members have posted questions on them that would be better posted on the main forum. Rarely do members read the stickies (never mind the threads) so we have locked some of these threads so members can get as much feedback as possible from the entire forum.

Hope

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

The Merck Manual online has a fairly complete list of medical abbreviations, and more than you ever wanted to know about that funny bump behind your ear.

Aweigh

• 1 month later...

Interesting list. Does anyone know why the slash '/' is used so much and inconsistently? Like w/d = withdrawal which is a single word?

In normal written language, it is hardly used at all - and if, more like a shorthand for the words 'and' and 'or'. So what's the system/rationale behind the abreviations with the slash in them?

Interesting list. Does anyone know why the slash '/' is used so much and inconsistently? Like w/d = withdrawal which is a single word?

In normal written language, it is hardly used at all - and if, more like a shorthand for the words 'and' and 'or'. So what's the system/rationale behind the abreviations with the slash in them?

halen,

hope this helps

http://www.all-acronyms.com/reverse/withdrawal

I assume that the reason behind the / is the fact that one of the common medical abbreviations of the word with is w/

Amy :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I don't know why the slash is sometimes used and sometimes not. I have not created any of the terms. Rather, I just report report upon what is used by members at the forum.

T -1 tablet/pill

PO(per os)=by mouth

x 1w=for a week

x1m=for a month

MDD+Max Daily Dose

NTE=Not To Exceed

SL+Sublingually

Dx=Diagnosis

DSM-IV-R=Diagnostic Statistical Manual 4(Revised)

PS.Sorry if there r repetitions, I wrote what I  didnt seeCheerz+)

Tpiroq,

SOB stands for short on brains and it applies to doctors/others who, when presented with

our withdrawal problems choose to be ignorant.