Author Topic: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations  (Read 56563 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2013, 04:42:40 am »
Interesting list. Does anyone know why the slash '/' is used so much and inconsistently? Like w/d = withdrawal which is a single word?

In normal written language, it is hardly used at all - and if, more like a shorthand for the words 'and' and 'or'. So what's the system/rationale behind the abreviations with the slash in them?

[...],
[...] this helps
http://www.all-acronyms.com/reverse/withdrawal
I assume that the reason behind the / is the fact that one of the common medical abbreviations of the word with is w/
[...] :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2013, 03:53:59 pm »
Thumbs up, [...]!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
Interesting list. Does anyone know why the slash '/' is used so much and inconsistently? Like w/d = withdrawal which is a single word?

In normal written language, it is hardly used at all - and if, more like a shorthand for the words 'and' and 'or'. So what's the system/rationale behind the abreviations with the slash in them?

Hi,

I don't know why the slash is sometimes used and sometimes not. I have not created any of the terms. Rather, I just report report upon what is used by members at the forum.

[Buddie]

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2013, 12:51:09 am »
T -1 tablet/pill
PO(per os)=by mouth
x 1w=for a week
x1m=for a month
MDD+Max Daily Dose
NTE=Not To Exceed
SL+Sublingually
Dx=Diagnosis
DSM-IV-R=Diagnostic Statistical Manual 4(Revised)

PS.Sorry if there r repetitions, I wrote what I  didnt seeCheerz+)

[Buddie]

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »
Tpiroq,
SOB stands for short on brains and it applies to doctors/others who, when presented with
our withdrawal problems choose to be ignorant.

[Buddie]

« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2013, 03:48:35 am »
Rx- prescription
G.P-general practitioner
TCM-traditional Chinese medicine
od once a day
hs- at night
bid-twice a day
tid-three times a day

Just a few that came to mind  :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
Hey [...]
I am not sure if that repost by bluemoth was supposed to be funny, but It sure made me laugh.  I am not laughing at what they experienced but, how they relayed it.  It should be in a BB anecdote book.
Thanks
peace
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:41 am »
In the medical center I worked at, a fire was identified over the intercom as "Dr. Red", followed by the location. A code blue was "Dr. Blue". A 'developing security situation' was "Dr. [...]".

Don't all head for the exits at once, now... :o

[...]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:17:10 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 11:14:24 pm »
Anyone mention CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)

[Buddie]

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »
[...] Thank you for posting these and thanks to all who have included more I understand alot that I didn't understand. I also had a few laughs at some of the post That is def med for the soul and body and I found laughter helps somewhat Thanks again [...] for taking the time out to post all these  :thumbsup:   

[...]