Author Topic: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations  (Read 55824 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 10:36:21 pm »
sunnyside let me know of a mistake in the list:

q.i.d. is the medical term for 4 times a day, not every 4 hours.

Every 4 hours would be written as:  q4h

I've updated the list to take account of sunnyside's correction.

Thanks, sunnyside.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2012, 02:36:25 am »
Thank you for this, but could you put this info where new members can find it?  People don't write out what the abbreviations stand for and I can't hold them in my head...  Yep, already forgot what sx stands for...
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 02:42:12 am »
Hello [...],

This post is called a "sticky topic", thats why its at the top of the board.  We put it there so members will see it first before reading the other posts.  I read through all the sticky topics when I first joined.

BTW, sxs stands for symptoms.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:24 am »
[...],

Thank you so much for your helpfulness and your patience with me.  I have never done anything like this before and if feels really awkward...especially trying to do the right thing when I'm not feeling well.

[Buddie]

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 08:17:30 pm »
Thanks [...] and all others for this great List....much needed.

BB.

[Buddie]

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »
Not sure if these fit the profile of the post, but lots of us mention our HR and BP.
HR - heart rate
BP - blood pressure
Just a thought.
Thanks,
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:01 pm »
Somehow I had the notion from the beginning here that all these shaded threads at the top were all locked.  Boy was I glad to finally try just clicking on them... lots of good info... I've finally figured out alot of these abb. but great list and helped to clarify some that were still vague.  I wondered why so many great sounding threads were all locked up  :idiot:.  I have a whole new wealth of information to peruse.  I should've known to reread the directions considering my state of mind when I got here.  [...] you are all having a bountiful, if yet, uncomfortable day.  ..."the sun will shine through my back door someday."  _GD
"

[Buddie]

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2013, 09:59:33 pm »
Hi [...],

Some of these sticky threads are locked and some aren't. The one's that are locked have been locked because some members have posted questions on them that would be better posted on the main forum. Rarely do members read the stickies (never mind the threads) so we have locked some of these threads so members can get as much feedback as possible from the entire forum.

[...]

[Buddie]

Re: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations-online source
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:18 am »
Hello:
The Merck Manual online has a fairly complete list of medical abbreviations, and more than you ever wanted to know about that funny bump behind your ear.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:26 am »
Interesting list. Does anyone know why the slash '/' is used so much and inconsistently? Like w/d = withdrawal which is a single word?

In normal written language, it is hardly used at all - and if, more like a shorthand for the words 'and' and 'or'. So what's the system/rationale behind the abreviations with the slash in them?