Author Topic: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations  (Read 55123 times)

[Buddie]

Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:27:38 am »
Hi

The following is a list of common abbreviations used within the medical profession and/or at BenzoBuddies. If there are some omissions, please reply to this post and we will add them to the list.

• AC Before meals
  • b.i.d.  two times per day
  • CBC  Complete Blood Count
  • CNS Central Nervous System
  • c/o  crossover
  • c/t  cold turkey*
  • d/c discontinue
  • DP depersonalization
  • DR derealization
  • dx  diagnosis
  • GTT Drops
  • HS At bedtime
  • hx  history
  • PCG  Primary Caregiver
  • PCP  Primary Care Physician
  • PRN  as needed
  • pt  patient
  • q  every
  • q.4.h  every 4 hours
  • q.d.  once a day
  • q.h.  every hour
  • q.h.s.  Every night
  • q.i.d.  four times a day
  • rx  prescribe
  • script  prescription
  • SOB  Short Of Breath
  • sx  symptom
  • t.i.d.  three times per day
  • t.d.s. three times per day (less common alternative to t.i.d.)
  • tx  treatment
  • w/d  withdrawal
  • X times

Abbreviations are best avoided, but repeatedly using whole words and phrases can become tiresome. If you are using a medical term several times within a post, it it would be better to write something like this:

*We always advise against a c/t (cold turkey) withdrawal as it can be dangerous and counter productive. Unfortunately many come here having already attempted a c/t withdrawal.

Simply, explain the abbreviation the first time you use it within a post. ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:34:10 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Doctorspeak - common medical abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:31:53 am »
Thanks [...],
Those are very helpful. I see I'm not using some correctly. Your example helps.
chick
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:33:00 am »
I had to retrieve this from the previous abbreviation thread. It is a perfect demonstartion of how not to make a post using abbreviations. Thanks Bluemoth - it's a gem! :laugh:

So here is my story in a nutshell:  I was in a car accident. my PCP did a dx and rx 5mg valium q.d., q.n.  Boy, did i feel better.  After two years of tx I thought i could just ct.  When I did, the PCG (who really is an SOB), x-ed my rx, said I was not in benzo withdrawals and advised me to see a Pdoc.  Boy, was that new guy nuts.  As a new pt, he rx 5 mg valium b.i.d. which eventually went up to 15mg taken q.n.  Wish I had known about benzobuddies, because after detox tx I was in a world of hurt.  When I got home, the pdoc rx 10 mg t.i.d or prn.  shook his head and said that much valium never hurt anyone.  After I discovered Benzobuddies, got a new PCG who did a CBC and even though I am always SOB, said I was fine but wanted to rx me an SSRI.  "No thanks", I exclaimed.  Now I am down to 1 mg q.d and 1 1/2 mg q.n. and boy, do I feel so much better!

TC
XXXXX
Christine/BlueMoth

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:35:43 am »

[...], can we add to it ourselves? S/E- side effect isn't there.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:43:28 am »
[...], can we add to it ourselves? S/E- side effect isn't there.

Sorry, I've changed it from I to 'we will add them to the list'. Of course you can!

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:45:27 am »
Oh, I'm not sure if you can modify one of my posts - I think the forum software will not allow it. If so, just reply with any additions and I will add them.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 01:31:25 am »
Oh, I'm not sure if you can modify one of my posts - I think the forum software will not allow it. If so, just reply with any additions and I will add them.

Well [...], just as an experiment, I went into your abbreviation post, and deleted the comma after your "Hi". And it worked.  :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:40:09 am »

Well [...], just as an experiment, I went into your abbreviation post, and deleted the comma after your "Hi". And it worked.  :laugh:

Put it back, you minx! :laugh:

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:58:50 am »

Put it back, you minx! :laugh:

:2funny:

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 06:24:12 am »
I thought SOB was something else.  :laugh: