Looking for good titration taper for low dose Xanax

[...]

I was reading Colin's note where he is making up this new titration system. I would be very  interested in it . Here is my info and you decide. I started taking Xanax to help me sleep about 15 years ago. I take 1/2 mg every night before bed. I break a 1 mg tablet in half. Now after all this time I have finally reached the point where my dosage is not enough and I either have to take more or quit. I have decided to quit. I know this dosage seems small but if I miss my dose, it gets tough pretty quick. I have a pretty busy schedule so I want to try and stop slowly so it hopefully won't effect my daily duties too much. I was thinking 10% to start then ? Can you offer any ideas? I was going to try and just cut my 1 mg pills but how in the world do I get 10% off of that? Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Co...]

• [el...]

• [si...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Nuvi!

Good decision. :)

Well, xanax comes in .5mg pills, and even .25mg. If your doc would be willing to write you a script for one of these dosages, you could feasably direct taper from the pill.

If you quartered the .5, and reduced by a quarter, this would amount to a 12.5% taper. Some feel this is a bit too high. It might be for you, considering how long you have taking them.

But if you got .25mg pills and quartered those, this would be a 6.25% cut.

Also you should taper at a rate of every week or two, adjusting that to how you are feeling.

By the way, no benzo dose is a small dose, if you've been taking it on a regular basis. Your body still is accustomed to it, and it will still hurt to withdraw, no matter what the dose.

If the direct taper suggestions don' t work for you, a titration would be the way to go. We will help you with that.

Linda

Your body still is accustomed to it, and it will still hurt to withdraw, no matter what the dose.

Just to add to this statement, I meant if you cold turkey or taper too fast! It doesn't have to hurt (or at least minimally) if done sensibly.  ;)

Thanks Eljay for the fast response. I am sure I can get a new prescription but I just had my last one filled about a week ago. I feel my Dr. thinks I should up my dose a bit and not worry about this but I don't think this is the answer for me. I want off this drug now.

Hi Nuvi

Xanax is very powerful for our purposes it equals 10mg of Valium so you are very wise to look at tapering as a sensible option, dry pill tapering is certainly an option harder to accomplish with Xanax but doable. The other option is titration which involves turning your Xanax into a liquid solution which then allows for smaller more controlled reductions.

Sounds hard but isn't very difficult. Let us know how you wold like to approach it, good luck

Take Care

Bob

Nuvi,

If you are unable to obtain the 0.5 and 0.25mg tablets, then I can work out titration schedule for you. You mention 10% cuts, but how often? You see I do need a figure like 10%, but instread of set cuts every week or two, the titration system means daily or near daily cuts that add up to 10% (or what ever figure you desire), but gradually over the time 1 or 2 weeks (or whatever time period you decide upon).

10% over 10 days is probably about average, especially if you have not experienced any major difficulties with previous cuts, but you will need to tell me the taper rate you desire. Additionally, you will need measuring cylinder - 100ml marked at 1ml intervals is ideal, but we can work with pretty much anything. So, I will need to know the size of the cylinder and the size of the increments.

I've no idea - I live in the UK. You local pharmacy should be able to get one or order one. If not, they are easy and cheap to obtain on the Net.

good theres a few tricks when mixing, but stay in contact with Colin as he is willing to set up your schedule after you answer his questions

Take Care

Bob

Nuvi,

As Bob wrote, there are simpler ways to to titrate than the method I worked up. My method is mostly used by those requiring extreme control over their taper. You can go with Bobers approach if you prefer - it is probably all you need!

I just wanted to let you know that Colin and I Have the same exact system, and there is no difference, I just felt I could be precise with the equipment I suggested. I only meant that there are ways to make up the solution after you follow Colins instructions. best of luck

Bob

Nuvi,

I'll work out schedule for you tomorrow. I'll base it on 10% taper over 10 days. What date would you like to start your taper? How many pills do you take per day (and dose of the pills). If I understand correctly, you take half of a 1mg tablet per day. Would it be OK to base the taper on one whole tablet (you will take half of the liquid - equivalent to half a tablet)? You can save the remaining liquid for the second day, so you will be loosing nothing, and it is more accurate than splitting the pill.

I take 1/2 mg a day in the form of a 1 mg tablet which I break in half. It will be fine to use 1 mg tablets for a 2 day supply. I would like to start this on friday if possible. I can wait till monday if I have to. Thanks in advance for your time to put this together!!

No, no need to wait that long. If you are keen to get on, I should be able to post it tomorrow so that you have it ready for Friday. The table comes with dates supplied for each new cut, this is why I need a start date. ;)