Motrin caused a bad wave. Does Aspirin? Please advise.

[ch...]

Maybe this should go under Other Medications but I need people to read this and Motrin has only ever backfired on my since going off Klonapin.

I took 2400 mg of Motrin daily for 1 1/2 years after my back surgery. I discontinued it and when I took as needed after my benzo w/d I felt dizzy for weeks. I was really very sick. It may have been a coincidence, but I don't think so.

My biggest fear has happened. I am trying to taper off the opiates from my surgery and I hurt my back. I really do not want to take any more pain meds. I am holding on my taper for now but the pain in my back in not good and I need to deal with it.

So, does aspirin have the same ill effects as Motrin does? I am in trouble here. I feel like this post doesn't even make sense but I hope I get some responses.

Chrysanthemum

I wish I could give you some good advice, but I can not take either one....I hope someone else chimes in with their experience.  So sorry to have to add the back pain issue to your w/d....how awful.  Can you use external pain aids, like ice or heating pad?  Best of luck to you....

Hoping2BFree

NSAIDS are known to mildly antagonize GABA receptors.  (Advil,Motrin, Aleve, Celebrex, etc.)

I haven't had this experience with Advil, however, I've only ever taken 2 pills (400mg).  I would imagine the higher doses of NSAIDS like you mentioned may be a problem with our current GABA sensitivity.

You can always try Tylenol. It doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't act on GABA.  I may not help your pain, either.  I don't know. It's not an anti-inflammatory.

However, I've had a sore throat and body aches from a cold recently and 2 Tylenol knocked this right out, so you never know. You could try it??

:)Parker

I am still on an opiate pain medication so I don't know that tylenol will add much to that. Will it?

I had a broken back and a spinal cord injury. This is what I had surgery for, among other issues. So it is a pretty big thing I am dealing with.  Is aspirin the same thing as motrin? When I was taking such high doses of motrin -- this was after my surgery-- and pre-benzo withdrawal. I have only had issues with it since I stopped taking the klonapin.

I am using a lidoderm patch.

I have been using ice and heat.

So now the questions will aspirin have the same (now negative) effect as Motrin? Is Aleve a little different because I just remembered that I took liquid aleve gel caps after my surgery.. NOT motrin. And will tylenol still be an additional help if I am already on an opiate. I just do not want to take more opiates. I have spent a year lowering my dose.

Thank you for all your replies. I hope I don't sound too crabby, because I am.

I wish I could give you some good advice, but I can not take either one....I hope someone else chimes in with their experience.  So sorry to have to add the back pain issue to your w/d....how awful.  Can you use external pain aids, like ice or heating pad?  Best of luck to you....

Hoping2BFree

Thank you for your well wishes. I hope you are having a good day!

Hi,

Every so often I have a bad headache or shoulder/neckache and I have no problem taking either 3 aspirin or 3 ibuprofen.  Oddly, tylenol has never worked for me.  Neither aspirin or ibuprofen seem to cause me any problems and work for pain for me.

I am still on an opiate pain medication so I don't know that tylenol will add much to that. Will it?

I had a broken back and a spinal cord injury. This is what I had surgery for, among other issues. So it is a pretty big thing I am dealing with.  Is aspirin the same thing as motrin? When I was taking such high doses of motrin -- this was after my surgery-- and pre-benzo withdrawal. I have only had issues with it since I stopped taking the klonapin.

I am using a lidoderm patch.

I have been using ice and heat.

So now the questions will aspirin have the same (now negative) effect as Motrin? Is Aleve a little different because I just remembered that I took liquid aleve gel caps after my surgery.. NOT motrin. And will tylenol still be an additional help if I am already on an opiate. I just do not want to take more opiates. I have spent a year lowering my dose.

Thank you for all your replies. I hope I don't sound too crabby, because I am.

Hi Chrys,

Aspirin is NOT ibuprofen at all. It does not act on GABA. However, it can thin your blood. So ask your doctor the saf dose considering your condition.

Tylenol can work synergistically with opiates, which is why it is often included with them for additional pain relief (Ultracet, Hydrocodone, Percoset --- pretty much all the "-ocet" and "acet" endings stand for "acetominophin" which is Tylenol. With that in mind, your opiate may ALREADY contain Tylenol.  It depends on what opiate you are using.  If your opiate already contains acetominophin, it may not be good for your liver to take more Tylenol.  I don't know what opiate you are taking. However, if the opiate you are taking is NOT blended with acetominophin, Tylenol may work together with it to help. It all depends.

Really, I am not the one to ask - your doctor is. But just explaining how that can work.  :smitten:

:)Parker

Thanks for the good day wishes Chrysanthemum....Just wanted to say that (and I see Megan just posed it as well) Motrin is Ibuprofen.  Aspirin is not.. They are both anti-inflammatories though.  Aleve is in the ibuprofen family but don't know what it is.  But I do know that it lasts longer - the directions say take it twice a day whereas aspirin and ibuprofen you take more often.  What I'm trying to say is that if you have an adverse reaction to Aleve, you could have it for at least a whole day...12 hours....with the others the bad sx (if there are any) would be shorter lived. 

I would try tylenol - that is acetaminophen and is fairly harmless I think.  If I had to take anything that is what I would take.  Whether it will help your pain, I don't know, but it might.

Glad you have the lidoderm patches and wish I had some more advice for you....is it possible you can just grit your teeth and get through this pain without any further medication?

wish you you some BIG relief Chrys....

Love and Courage

Hoping2BFree

...and Parker's advice about the Tylenol is very timely...I never thought of the opiate already having Tylenol......we have to be so careful....

Hi all. I have taken Bayer advanced aspirin 500 mg, 2 pills. It helped my pain. I don't feel it bothered my wd much. I think it made the tinnitus worse. It did effect me stomach.

Best,

Bear

Thank you so much for all your replies. I feel like I wasn't clear in my questions but I did receive the information I needed. I do know that motrin is ibuprofen and aspirin is not. I guess my question is for those of us who had adverse reactions to NSAID during benzo w/d such as Motrin, would aspirin have that same effect?

Also, the opiate I am on is opana which is an oxymorphone. It is in the morphine family and there is no Tylenol in it so I am glad to learn that I can enhance it a bit with that.

I will certainly talk to my Dr. but A) I doubt that he would agree that the Motrin flared me up so much during benzo w/d and B) he doesn't want me to go off my pain meds, but is trying to support my desire to do so. I do not want to get into all my aches and pains if they level out eventually.

As for the can I grin and bear it question. Obviously, that is always the goal. I have pain everyday but this is beyond what I feel comfortable coping with. I am having trouble putting pressure on my leg it is so painful. I am hoping this is going to heal and I am trying to cope the best I can.

When I took 400 mg of Motrin at the end of August, I woke up dizzy and sick for the next three weeks. I believe it really triggered a reaction in me, because I am still healing the GABA receptors. I am trying to avoid this again which is why I was worried about aspirin.

Apart from dealing with benzo w/d, I am also dealing with opiate w/d, and rehabilitating a spinal cord injury. Throw in menopause and you've got the picture. I am sick to death of it all.

I really appreciate your help. Very much.