rapid, pounding heart rate

[wa...]

Hello, BBs.

It's certainly no secret that many of us suffer with chest pain, chest tightness, and a rapid, pounding heart rate.  I have been having this symptom since August.  My doc prescribed propranolol but because of its affect on my ashtma, I am unable to take it.

I am worried. Do you think that having this racing heart for months on end will cause heart damage or do you think that once w/d is over the heart will be fine?

Thanks for you input.  I'd rather not have to go to the doctor AGAIN, but I also hate to risk permanent heart damage.

WFR

Hi there, WFR,

I know how horrible that pounding heart feels, not nice, and it is scary.  I really feel that you will be fine but you must remember that an internet forum is not designed to replace medical advice.  Will you please ask your doctor to check you out and tell you that you are doing ok, especially that you have an underlying condition.. Betsy xxxx

Sorry to hear about this waitingforrelief,

What exactly is your relaxed heart rate?  Mine always seems fast or high even while relaxing.

Also can you describe the chest pains?  I have been having chest pains for weeks now.. It's off and on. I'm also experiencing drops in blood pressure which wound me up in the ER the other day. I had a recent EKG and even wore a 24hr heart monitor. Of course my luck I had no strange pains during that 24hr period.

Hi, Fonz.

The chest pain is a burning tightness, and sometimes I feel a little short of breath.  My resting hr varies from 60 to 110.  It's all over the place, as is my BP.  I can keep my BP under control if I stay still.  However, the slighest activity (e.g., taking a shower) causes it to rise, and I have NEVER had BP issues until coming off of Xanax. 

My doc has done a stress echo, which showed what he called a "slight" abnormality.  He referred me to a cardiologist who did a 14 day heart monitor, which he found unimpressive.

The heart rate goes up mostly if I get up and when I wake up.  In fact, since getting off Xanax, I have not woken once without a racing heart.  It's very unsettling.

What did they tell you in the ER about your low BP?

Have your tried exploring other medications with your doctor?  Propranalol and beta blockers aren't the only heart meds out there.

As for permanent damage, you really didn't post any sort of information to give anyone any idea, but as Betsy pointed out it's really more of a question for your doctor than for us.  For whatever it is worth, though, most benzo related cardiac symptoms are very uncomfortable while they are going on, but are gone once they're gone.  I suggest talking to your doctor both to put your mind to ease and to find another medicine to make you more comfortable until this process is over.

Best wishes.

:)

Thanks, sweet g.

I have not tried exploring other meds.  I have to say that after this experience, I am completely frightened of meds. 

I think I will try to ride this out a little longer.  I just wish this sx would go away already!

I understand as I have become pill phobic, myself, after this experience.  That said, I do try to intellectually rise above the fear when I know it is an instance where it will help me significantly without negative consequences.  I suspect that this is a very readily controled symptom and that finding a medicine that you could safely take would dramatically improve your quality of life.

Either way, it is still a good idea to talk to your doctor about your heart symptoms.  When you have this discussion, you can discuss your options regarding other medications.  You may never want to take anything and that is fine (as long as your doctor agrees that it's safe not to), but I'm a fan of having something (like a rx on hand) and not needing rather than needing something and not having it.

Best wishes.

:)

My resting heart rate is between 90 and 120.

I also suffer chest pains.

I am a week off diazepam after over two years use.

Benzo withdrawl can cause damage to the heart muscle, I have a swolen heart muscle on the right side, and have spoken to others who have benzo withdrawn and have the same damage.

I think the inmportant thing is to try to keep as stable as possible as you taper, dont overstress the body by cutting too fast, that way you should eliminate the likelihood of doing any permanent damage.

Henryk.

Hmmm, that's interesting. What did the doctors tell you about your heart rate?  Mine is around 90 at rest which I'm understanding is perfectly fine. The magic numbers 60-100 seem popular.

For me I have gone through rapid hear rate upon waking up but seems to have been caused by anxiety/panic.

In the ER they made it a big deal until I mentioned I was coming off of a Benzo. They said "We have no time for this". haha, I'm not even joking. This after me falling down multiple times etc. I stayed in the hospital until my BP went back up and I left..

I also wore a blood pressure monitor for 24hrs and I had a call to go see my doctor. No details were given so I have yet to find out.

I can imagine that would be very upsetting in regards to the racing heart upon awakening. So do you suffer from Panic disorder or ?

[be...]

Benzo withdrawl can cause damage to the heart muscle, I have a swolen heart muscle on the right side, and have spoken to others who have benzo withdrawn and have the same damage.

I think the inmportant thing is to try to keep as stable as possible as you taper, dont overstress the body by cutting too fast, that way you should eliminate the likelihood of doing any permanent damage.

Henryk.

Can this be found in the Ashton manual or is there any proven research. I am not in any way doubting you, I would just like to see it.  This is scary as well.

Thank you.

That is not in the Ashton manual. That's scary indeed, but what can I say.. I believe anything is possible with these drugs, they are potent to some of us that's for sure.

I also have asthma and at times have rapid heart beat and shortness of breath

I went to the doctor he did an EGK and ex ray and said I am normal and this is withdrawl from Benzos

Remember taking this crap really effects your body

I am now down to 3 MG of Frisiam and did my last drop yesteday So far so good

Time will tell

Don't worry Just keep reminding yourself its the Benzo that is doing this

Henryk.

Can this be found in the Ashton manual or is there any proven research. I am not in any way doubting you, I would just like to see it.  This is scary as well.

Thank you.

I dont think you will find this in the Ashton manual, I have it, and Jan at Benzo etox recovery has the same, she is convinced her heart damage was a result of benzo w/d, I am the same, I have also spoken to another ex- benzo user who withdrew and has the same, enlarged heart muscle right hand side, so no research I know of, but seems logical to me.

Henryk.

fonz - I cannot get my mind around the fact that the ER physicians told you they had no time for "this".  Unbelievable! 

I told my sister just yesterday that I was scared that from now on I would receive substandard medical care...because of the benzo use....funny thing is, the most substandard medical care I received was the outrageously liberal benzo scripts. 

I hate this whole thing.  I can hardly take it anymore!

I've had a pounding heart, tachycardia, chest pain, chest burning, elevated bp ...all the "good stuff".

I've seen too many drs, had too many tests, and visited the ER way too many times. I always get the same answer: your test results are excellent, there is nothing of concern, go home and take your .... (insert benzo name here), we can't help you any further.

One dr told me "don't come back unless you faint or something", as she stated that a resting heart rate of 160 is just giving me a good work up and there is nothing I should worry about.

In my experience ER doctors are only willing to spend time with you if they perceive the situation as life threatening - wish I know what their criteria is.

It's unfortunate that drs dismiss and refuse to acknowledge benzo withdrawal and/or side effects as real, debilitating, quality of life destroying medical conditions.

Joking aside, after all the episodes I've had, after all the times I waited out an episode of chest pain and/or tachycardia, I would probably adopt the same attitude if I were to have a heart attack or a stroke - relax and wait for it to pass.

Amy

Hi, Amy.

I so understand your feeling about now just "waiting out" a heart attack or stroke.  On one occassion, I really thought that was what I was doing...But I am still here.....rapid, pounding heart and all!

Blessing to you.

WFR

I am into my 5th month off and it seems I have more of the rapid, pounding heart rate.  Does anyone have this condition, along with severe drooling and so weak/tired you can hardly walk or stand up and your lower legs feel tingly and numb?  Very scary.  Also have gastrointestinal problems off and on.     :tickedoff:

Hi, Amy.

I so understand your feeling about now just "waiting out" a heart attack or stroke.  On one occassion, I really thought that was what I was doing...But I am still here.....rapid, pounding heart and all!

Blessing to you.

WFR

Hi WFR,

I hear you loud and clear. Unfortunately this kind of scenario is way too familiar for me.  Not to mention that once such an episode is over I feel so exhausted, all I want to do is sleep ...and have no nightmares ...wishful thinking for now.

Blessings to you as well.

Amy

I am into my 5th month off and it seems I have more of the rapid, pounding heart rate.  Does anyone have this condition, along with severe drooling and so weak/tired you can hardly walk or stand up and your lower legs feel tingly and numb?  Very scary.  Also have gastrointestinal problems off and on.     :tickedoff:

Woe, I'm still working on my klonopin cuts but I recognize the weakness, tiredness, tingliness/numbness in my lower legs.

The rapid pounding heart is also a good ol' friend of mine - it keeps showing up uninvited.

I keep thinking these are neurological symptoms and all sorts of nasty things keep crossing my mind, but I've come to realize it's the klonopin talking/thinking and not my rational self. Ugh I h a t e these pills.

I hope you find relief soon.

Best,

Amy

In answer to your  question about being off benzos and having all that nasty heart pounding and other nasty things going on

The answer is Yes it happens but will diminish over time Some people it will not bother and others will hate the feeling

Its your bodies way of saying I WANT BENZOS PLEASE GIVE ME BENZOS

What I did was I went out and went bike riding for an hour . Some times I was so tired but I forced myself and guess what over time it did get better

I have been off Valium now for over a year now and feel somewhat better but remember

For all the time you used Benzos  it will take a while to come back to normal .

I am now down to  3 mg of Frisium and doing well

but you never know  So be thankful for today You are benzo free

Good Job