New User

[Fr...]

Hi,

I have been taking 1mg of Lorazepam 3-4xDaily for the past couple of years.  Prior to the Lorazepam I took Diazepam (Generic for Valium) for quite a few years.  I never had problems stopping the Diazepam and sometimes took upwards of 15-20mg per day.  I found myself searching for answers after attempting to go "cold turkey" off the Lorazepam, thinking it was the same as Diazepam.  There is lots of great information on the board and I look forward to living up to my user name! 

Hi Free4Life,

Welcome to Benzobuddies :)

We are glad that you have found our forum.  Going cold turkey off benzodiazipines is not something that we would recommend at all.  It can set you up for some pretty nasty and lengthy symptoms, and in the worst case, seizures.  We would suggest tapering off in a safe and steady manner.. General tapering guidelines would be to cut your daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days according to your symptom level.  The idea being that we assist the GABA receptors time to begin functioning again by slowly and smoothly reducing the levels of the drug.  This doesn't always result in a symptom free taper, but it does help.  If things continue to be too tough then it's always possible to reduce at a rate lower than 5%.

Please have a read of Professor Ashton's Manual It's a worthy read and explains the rationale behind a taper, plus it gives an idea of what to expect during your taper.. Do bear in mind that many have found Ashton's cutting schedules a little steep for comfort.  You will find your own way though.

In preparation for tapering it is best if you take the same dose of Lorazepam each day.  Fluctuating levels can lead to increased symptoms. Here we will be very pleased to help you with putting a taper plan together.  You can post to the General Taper Plans board when you are ready.

May I ask that you create a signature line. This allows members to see what you are taking and what dose.  You can see mine at the bottom of this post.  Here's how: Click Here

You are free to post and join in where you wish.  And do ask questions we will do our best to help.

Betsy xxxx