melatonin and vistaril

[ch...]

Just thought I'd plug this info in.

I've been seeing a hormone doc as well during my wd phase. He just told me today that 10mg melatonin is OK. It's a good antioxidant. Sleep has been an issue for me so I will happily give the "double dose" a try tonight.

Also, my pshyc gave me vistaril to help with wd from ativan. It actually did help, just not for long, but it was long enough for my need. It did knock me out pretty good the first couple of times I took it but then it didn't bother at all. So it was also good for sleep at first as well. Now it is only good for the gut issues that occasionally come because of it's drying effect.

Hi chick

I appreciate the info re: melatonin as there are varying  opionions on Melatonin, although a degree doesnt insure correctness.

TC

Bob

Chick,

you probably mentioned this in your other thread, but I can't find it at the moment. Have you tried a lower dose of melatonin? Like 3 or 5? Even though it's tempting, it's always better to start low and work your way higher as needed. 10mg is a wallop of a dose. I take .75mg. 3mg knocks me out.

If you start at 10mg, and somewhere along the way, that doesn't work as well as when you started it, you have less wiggle room.

Chick,

I agree with Linda, 10 mg of melatonin will knock a horse on its hind end.  Try 2-3 mg at first and see how you do. I think the lowest dose is 1 mg pills.  So try an easy dose at first.

Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, you can take a little more. It's pretty short acting.

silver

That was good :laugh:

Thanks for the concern from all of you. I have tried all other doses of melatonin. I began with something very low (probably) 1 mg. and until I got to 5 it didn't work. The very first time I took melatonin it worked great but that was all. That is what happens for me with many of the herbal meds....works great! ONCE.

I did sleep great last night, though :yippee: I did add 1 calms forte for good measure. Tonight I may try just calms forte but now that I've taken it once....?

bluemoth

OK, I may have gained some weight over the holidays but I don't even closely resemble a horse  ;D and I still wasn't knocked on my hind end...still woke up a couple of times but got right back to sleep.

OK, I may have gained some weight over the holidays but I don't even closely resemble a horse  ;D and I still wasn't knocked on my hind end...still woke up a couple of times but got right back to sleep.

Horses are beautiful majestic creatures.Well,some of them.  ;) Just depends on the breed.The (tennessee) Walkers are pretty much an ugly breed.Lipizzaner's on the other hand,are gorgeous.  :)

Horses are beautiful majestic creatures.Well,some of them.  ;) Just depends on the breed.The (tennessee) Walkers are pretty much an ugly breed.Lipizzaner's on the other hand,are gorgeous.  :)

Arabians!!

LOL Chick,

Sorry about that post.  I can only speak from my own experience.  I should have said that 10 mg of melatonin will knock ME on my hind end. Of course you don't resemble a horse!! :laugh:

However this is how I would look if I took 10 mg of melatonin.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/shobelle/dead%20horse/2bec.jpg

Poor Horse!

Linda, I saw the Lipizzaners once here in Portland.  OMG were they beautiful!!

Arabians!!

Apparently I still don't know how to do the quote thingy either. :laugh:

I had an Arab/Quarter tri-color paint. She was funny and feisty! She was great. Her name was Cherokee.

I ended up selling her when I was 17 cuz I became too distracted by Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll and didn't give her the time she deserved.

Her new owner was a 13 year old girl who adored her, and used her for her paper route. It was very cute.

Sadly she was stolen, never to be found again. To this day, even though she would be 44  :o , I still look for her when I see paints.

I always hoped she was stolen because she was so beautiful and someone wanted her, and not stolen for the glue factory or dog food. :(

Sorry for hijacking your post, Chick!

No problem eljay. It kind of played itself out anyway.

I'm getting out for the day. BIG storm here in CA and the lights keep flickering.

No problem eljay. It kind of played itself out anyway.

I'm getting out for the day. BIG storm here in CA and the lights keep flickering.

unbelievable, another Californian! Yep, I"m in NoCal and my power has gone off twice, and my cable (tv, phone, computer) went out once already.