Detox

[ev...]

I have made inquiries about detoxing from benzos at two hospitals nearby. I am onlyon 4mg but my symptoms have become unbearable. However, I understand they may use other drugs to compensate for the witdrawal from the valium. I read on another site that this process is dangerous and could result in long term problems. I am really facing a dilemma here.

I will not be making the decision until tomorrow evening but am very frightened as my present symptoms are unbearable.

Ivan

Ivan, I don't see that you have much choice under the circumstances. It's not ideal, but it might just be your solution. You do not seem to be reacting to Valium typically this time around. Lizzy did what your about to do and is very glad of it. She was also having a paradoxical reaction. I hope she checks in.

Thinking of you,

Flip

I posted this as a buddie blog butrealise that it is the wrong place for something like this so herre is my question: does anyone have a viewpoint on detoxing. I have only managed to talk to the admin of the hospitals and I want detail of the drugs that they are likely to use before oI commit myself. i do niot want to make the same mistake I amde aboiut the benzodiazepines in August.

Ivan

[50...]

Hi Ivan

As you know I have had two failed detox attempts, one lasted 4 days, the other 9 days.  I was given the following drugs to 'help ease the benzo withdrawal sxs'

Seroquel

Largactil

Cymbalta

Baclofen

Imovane

Effexor

I am hyper sensitive to meds due to a liver condition and none of these helped me, but I believe most of them to be fairly standard in the benzo withdrawal toolkit in most detox centres.

All the best, just remember, just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you.  You are holding the reigns Ivan.

Hello Ivan,

I went through a 4 day hospital detox in Seattle in 2009.  They gave me Seroquel for sleep and Neurontin for seizure prevention, which I was to take for a month afterwards.  I didn't mind taking them because I assumed they benefitted me.  Not having to worry about seizures and being able to sleep were blessings as far as I was concerned, since I was having awful physical symptoms.  When the month was up, I tapered off both meds without any trouble.  I was then and still am on a fairly high dose of Citalopram (Celexa) for depression.

I'm sure that you are aprehensive about going into detox, which is understandable.  Once you get there you can talk to them about your concerns and hopefully come to an understanding.  But sometimes medications can be of help in these situations.

megan

If I end up taking seroquel it will only add to my frustration as this was the drug I was monitored on for 10 days prior to a disgusting psychiatrist putting me on benzos. There is a waiting list so i amy not get in quickly and my Gp may not be in favour of it but for me I simply have to get off asap; as my symptoms are so dreadful and no matter how long I stay on one dode they remain awful. My counsellor thinds like I do that whatever i attempt will result in agony so it is best right now to get off the drug. I have never fely as sick as I do now excpt this morning when my body felt as if it was on fire. This hospital does not use flumazenil as far as the person i spoke to knows so that makes me feel a little less apprehensive. It would be so nice to get my lfe back again but i suspect it is going to be along long time before I will be able to sile again.

Ivan

I don't think you should do a rapid detox myself.

In my view, if you are suffering bad symptoms now, bringing you off valium quickly will make things much much worse, so I urge you to think carefully.

Also, I have read about many people who have been to detoxes and rehabs and been taken off benzos over a matter of weeks and have ended up having to go back on them due to worsened symptoms.

I also feel uneasy about others suggesting detox/rehab, even if they are one of the lucky ones who got well from it.

Dunno, I am just really doubtful. If it were me, I would not do it.

I would split your dose into three and take every eight hours and wait to stabilize and then you could start tapering or possibly look at daily cuts, as many people feel better doing a daily cut.

I've even heard of an improvement in symptoms from some users.