Are dizzy spells and chronic fatigue feelings part of long term withdrawal?

[Sh...]

Hi I have just changed over from Ativan to Valium and was doing well for a little while after the cross over but the last while I have been doing horribly (even though I just made another cut 2 days ago). For the last month I have felt this horrible chronic fatigue feeling, some dizzy spells at times and exercise which used to help is more tiring and doesn't now help. Is this just part of the withdrawals or could there be something else going on? Is there anything that could help? Also the depression part of it and shaky/edgy part of it which seemed to have subsided for awhile is now back in full force which is very scary and hard.

Thanks Sean

I've had both dizziness and fatigue throughout my taper and post benzo experience.  I think everyone's worst and longest lasting symptoms are different, but those two have been pretty regular companions for me.  Unless you have a specific reason to suspect something else, I'd say that they're fairly definitely a part of withdrawal and will clear up with time.

Best wishes.

:)

Dizziness and fatigue plagued me during my taper. But as I got closer to the end and am continuing through out my post taper, it has gotten much better and is hardly there on most days. It still comes and goes though, but I think it will be gone in a matter of months. Hang in there, it will get better

Dkaplan

this is normal , lower  dose is your body more and more crave the drug , reason why  less drug in body worst you feel . Listen to your body , always , and go slowly .  For me hell started moment I stop clonazepam . But then month after month getting better .

Best is not  mix any other drugs , b/c  you  have more chemicals in and w/d  is more mixed up .

I never took any  due 15 months  recovery and maybe this is why  at 15 months i am pretty ok , only one symptom .

Just listen to your body.

Hi guys. Ashton mentions balance exercises http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#15 Here is what she says:

"Problems with balance. Some people during benzodiazepine withdrawal report feeling unsteady on their feet; sometimes they feel they are being pushed to one side or feel giddy, as if things were going round and round. An important organ in controlling motor stability and maintaining equilibrium is a part of the brain called the cerebellum. This organ is densely packed with GABA and benzodiazepine receptors (See Chapter I) and is a prime site of action of benzodiazepines. Excessive doses of benzodiazepines, like alcohol, cause unsteadiness of gait, slurred speech and general incoordination, including inability to walk in a straight line. It may take some time for the cerebellar systems to restabilise after benzodiazepine withdrawal and the symptoms can last until this process is complete. Exercises, such as standing on one leg, first with eyes open, then with eyes closed, can speed recovery."

I found it useful to do more exercises than what Ashton suggested. I added two exercises from Vestibular Retraining Therapy (VRT) commonly used for certain types of balance disorders.

One was for gaze stabilisation (known as VOR exercises) . See the description of moving business card/pencil while moving your head given here. http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/rehab/gaze%20stab.html

The other was for gait stabilisation. I used the one where you walk in a straight line looking at a fixed spot and turning your head left and right. 5 minutes back and forth in a room. See http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/rehab/visual%20dependence%20exercises.html

The second was more useful for me. It takes a week or two before they start to have an effect.  Need to be done twice a day. I found it took self discipline, time and effort (especially when I was feeling awful) but has been worth it! The exercises are no fun even at the best of times as they try to provoke mild imbalance and your brain learns to correct it (in a similar way that you have to keep trying to ride a bicycle and slowly learn what reaction to make to the way the bike as it's about to fall over).

-Zoner

Dizziness, depression, anxiety, visual overload are some of the worst symptoms I experienced.  8 months off they have both lessened in intensity and duration when they occasionally pop up.  It gets better, but is VERY rough the first few months.  Hang in there.  If you are concerned you should get it checked out by a doctor.  I had an MRI, a CT scan, saw an ear, nose and throat doc, and a neurologist - all said I was fine.  For me, it was just the Ambien and the damage it did.  It gets better with time. 

All of you are so reassuring, I really appreciate the support and feel better that this is withdrawal and not something else.

Thanks

Sean

I got hit with horrible fatigue right when I switched from Ativan to Valium as well.  It has been with me for six months now and waxes and wanes in intensity.  I also always worry that it could be something else (that was triggered from benzo w/d).  Exercise just makes me feel ill--no good endorphins.  I hope you feel better soon.  I think a lot of people have had fatigue and it should go away, just like everything else.

I wonder why the valium had that affect so much more then the ativan, like chronic fatigue. It is so scary when we feel like this. I will keep believing it will change.

Thanks

Sean

More corroboration here too.  Lots of dizziness, extreme fatigue, physical agitation (akasthisia), cog fog. First few mos were rough but I could feel getting off benzos was the right thing and would bring improvement eventually.  Symptoms became more severe around 4 mos which was very confusing (becoming worse so long after)...spent much time wondering if there was an underlying illness. Now at 7 mos, symptoms are slowly fading. Exercise used to help reduce symptoms but now difficult due to fatigue and seems to exacerbate fatigue. Still long way to go. Sorry you're experiencing this - it's a long, bumpy road.

I wonder why the valium had that affect so much more then the ativan, like chronic fatigue. It is so scary when we feel like this. I will keep believing it will change.

Thanks

Sean

I don't see it as caused by the Valium, as much as I see it caused by the Ativan wd during the crossover. I had a bad crossover due to the Ativan wd and couldn't fully cross over.