What Do I do About Stomach and Digestive Issues ?

Since starting my attempt to cross from 1.5mg K to Valium, I've noticed a SEVERE increase in tight, agitated stomach, etc. sometimes a little nausea and slower digestion or who knows what is really going on.......

I have a feeling this is a "valium thing", but also suspect it could be K withdrawals, too, but I tend to believe the former not the latter.

Any suggestions for relief in these areas would be sincerely appreciated.

Kian

I've been tapering from Klonopin for the past 9 months with 4-5 months yet to go and have always had a bloated feeling and usually wake up with this bloated feeling accompanied with nausea. Recently I had severe nausea and bloating, gas, constipation, etc.    Maalox helped with the nausea.  Also crystallized ginger helps.  I've had some luck for the bloating with Gas X.  Magnesium citrate seems to work well for constipation. 

It seems to have a mind of its' own and it comes and goes for no reason. Seems unrelated to what I eat.  Good luck. I think that this is one of the more difficult symptoms of my withdrawal.  I used to chase symptoms before I realized that this is just WD.  I have had 2 gastric endoscopies and colonoscopies, all negative.  Now I just write it off as WD garbage and try to get through it.  There is an end to this eventually.

I wish you well in the hell we are going through.  DK

Kian, I think you're abdominal stuff could very well have to do with the klonopin.  At least from my experience that is some of the exact same stuff that I've gotten.  Especially with recently completely going off k, my stomach tightened up making eating difficult.  I had some bad stomach pain trying to eat as much as I thought I should.  I bought some juices.  Beets or beet juice is good for digestive function.  I started using supplemental enzymes before meals, which helped.  I haven't had any problems with these, let me know if you're interested in what ones I use.

I've been tapering from Klonopin for the past 9 months with 4-5 months yet to go and have always had a bloated feeling and usually wake up with this bloated feeling accompanied with nausea. Recently I had severe nausea and bloating, gas, constipation, etc.    Maalox helped with the nausea.  Also crystallized ginger helps.  I've had some luck for the bloating with Gas X.  Magnesium citrate seems to work well for constipation. 

It seems to have a mind of its' own and it comes and goes for no reason. Seems unrelated to what I eat.  Good luck. I think that this is one of the more difficult symptoms of my withdrawal.  I used to chase symptoms before I realized that this is just WD.  I have had 2 gastric endoscopies and colonoscopies, all negative.  Now I just write it off as WD garbage and try to get through it.  There is an end to this eventually.

I wish you well in the hell we are going through.  DK

DK,

Thanks for all the input.  It helps to hear how others and having the same problems as I am.  What do you mean by "crystalized ginger"?  I have some ginger caps from wal mart I am afraid to take because it seems ginger has somewhat of a "detox" effect, and I need to avoid such affects for now, but maybe I'll try it if you can better explain to me what those are...thanks again...

Kian

Kian, I think you're abdominal stuff could very well have to do with the klonopin.  At least from my experience that is some of the exact same stuff that I've gotten.  Especially with recently completely going off k, my stomach tightened up making eating difficult.  I had some bad stomach pain trying to eat as much as I thought I should.  I bought some juices.  Beets or beet juice is good for digestive function.  I started using supplemental enzymes before meals, which helped.  I haven't had any problems with these, let me know if you're interested in what ones I use.

I've tried the enzymes, but it didn't help me.  I've not tried beet juice, though.  Does that have a "detox" effect?  I hope not, because I'm trying to avoid lowering the drugs in my system right now.  Let me know what you think.

Kian

Yeah beet juice does have a detox effect especially on the liver.  You may not want to use them. 

I think it's different when we take food like beets, apples, other fruits/veggies that detox, compared to other methods like concentrated herb combinations.  It's a much gentler approach.  I lasted only two days on an herb concentration before (while on benzos), but I haven't had any problem with things like beet juice.  I haven't drank the beet juice with intent to detox, just smaller amounts for abdominal/liver support. 

Yeah beet juice does have a detox effect especially on the liver.  You may not want to use them. 

I think it's different when we take food like beets, apples, other fruits/veggies that detox, compared to other methods like concentrated herb combinations.  It's a much gentler approach.  I lasted only two days on an herb concentration before (while on benzos), but I haven't had any problem with things like beet juice.  I haven't drank the beet juice with intent to detox, just smaller amounts for abdominal/liver support.

Your suggestions are appreciated.  Maybe at some point if I get stable enough, I can start walking and taking small amounts of beet juice and other healthy juices.  It is good that you seem to always take steps to do whatever you can to improve your health while you have a window of opportunity to do so.

I'm also going to try to take your advice and repeat those positive thoughts out loud or at least in my head if I can't get myself to say it out loud when I'm by myself which is MOST of the time.

I've also read that citrus bioflavinoids and vitamin C can have a different type of effect on different medications.  I know this to be particularly true with grapefruit and grapefruit juice but WHILE ON BENZOS.  I'm not sure if the effects are negative or just as bad when BENZO FREE and going through post benzo withdrawals. 

That's what is one of the most difficult things or should I say frustrating things about this long journey is that things that are supposed to help you can actually do the opposite in some cases.  It really has been my experience of hit and miss and gambling with your health each time we desperately try something new with the intentions of getting some sort of short term relief, but on the positive side, look at all we learn in the process.

Today, I took your earlier advice and imagined my success story.  It gave me a good feeling inside.  To actually make it through this would be too sweet for words to express.  Can you imagine?  The thought was fleeting, but very very powerful and pleasant.

Kian

Another note I want to add here on behalf of good bacteria and yogurt, etc...

About two weeks or so ago, I was really feeling a drastic increase in my symptoms especially the fear and anxiety and depression.  When I asked myself what am I doing differnetly?, I realized the yogurt I had been eating had a very high sugar content in it.  I assumed that all greek yogurt was low in sugar.  Anyway, when I realized that I had been consuming at least 2 to 3 of those yogurts per day, I decided to check the sugar content.  I was shocked.  Each cup of fruit on the bottom Dannon greek yogurt I was eating had 21 grams of sugar in it!

Needless to say, I was forced to do a CT on the sugary greek yogurt.  I just now realized that since then, I have STOPPED eating the yogurt all together, rather than doing the smart thing which would have been to switch to a low sugar or no sugar greek yogurt.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that I think this MIGHT have something to do with my bad stomach and digestive system issues that I've been struggling with....a good testimony for yogurt with LOW or NO sugar, but, I learned today that there is natural sugar in dairy products, but small amounts, to me, are ok

So the two lessons here that I think I might have learned something from are these:

1.  When making a change in benzos or medication that could cause severe suffering, think about the medicinal aspect of what you changed in great detail, and then think about what may be causing the symptoms that are unbearable.

2.  Don't just think about the medicinal or benzo aspect of the problem at hand...but carefully run those things in your ENTIRE LIFE that you have made changes in such as diet, exercise, stressors, etc....etc.......this is easier said than done during an all out panic wave and horrible physical symptoms as well.  It wasn't until I got some relief that I was even able to put two and two together about the fact that there was more than ONE factor involved in my digestive and stomach suffering.

I am now convinced in my mind that there are 3 different major contributing factors to my stomach and digestive problems now.  I think the main thing that caused me to realize that these things could be a factor (especially the yogurt with probiotics) is that it has been a VERY LONG TIME since I had a sore in my mouth.  After I made these changes, I got a sore between my lower lip and gum inside my mouth.  I think part of the reason for that sore is the fact that I stopped eating yogurt for two weeks prior to starting my k to V crossover.  I just got some lysine which helps heal such sores faster, and some fruitless greek yogurt as well.  I will probably know within a week or two if this was the real case...

1.  Cutting klonopin.

2.  Adding Valium

3.  Stopping yogurt in my diet.

We all know that TIME can change our viewpoint, so it would not surprise me if I think of this post in the future and realize I was wrong.

PS - I also do a few other things to help combat the "sour" or "agitated" stomach like drink sparkling water (sometimes the carbonation effect helps the upset, but not always, and it also helps relieve my craving to drink a soda, too, so it helps me avoid sugar, etc. and all the other bad ingredients in soda pop.) and eat things like crackers, too, or trying not to let my stomach become empty.

Kian

Hi Kian,

I have suffered greatly from nausea and GI issues since tapering off of Clonazepam (and crossing to Diazepam).  I can happily say that at almost 15 months out, the worst of it is behind me.  I will pass on the things that have helped me. 

1) BHI Nausea - a natural remedy that a BB member told me about many months ago.  It didn't help fully but sometimes took the edge off.  You can purchase it online or at some health food stores.

2) Watermelon - also read that here, and WOW...it really helped with some of my nausea.  I was surprised and kept it in stock after the first attempt where it worked.  It never took it fully away, but def. helped.

3)  Ginger tea - homemade.  I'd made a large batch and refrigerate it. 

4)  Drinking apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp in a small glass of warm water...REALLY helps me with GI discomfort and even has lessened the nausea slightly. 

I hope one of these can help.  It DOES go away but I know how hard it is to function with nausea and GI pain...it was my worst s/x by far and brought me to tears many times.  Mine is 100% yet, but a LOT better than a few months ago. 

All my best,

Schatje

Hi Kian,

I have suffered greatly from nausea and GI issues since tapering off of Clonazepam (and crossing to Diazepam).  I can happily say that at almost 15 months out, the worst of it is behind me.  I will pass on the things that have helped me. 

1) BHI Nausea - a natural remedy that a BB member told me about many months ago.  It didn't help fully but sometimes took the edge off.  You can purchase it online or at some health food stores.

2) Watermelon - also read that here, and WOW...it really helped with some of my nausea.  I was surprised and kept it in stock after the first attempt where it worked.  It never took it fully away, but def. helped.

3)  Ginger tea - homemade.  I'd made a large batch and refrigerate it. 

4)  Drinking apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp in a small glass of warm water...REALLY helps me with GI discomfort and even has lessened the nausea slightly. 

I hope one of these can help.  It DOES go away but I know how hard it is to function with nausea and GI pain...it was my worst s/x by far and brought me to tears many times.  Mine is 100% yet, but a LOT better than a few months ago. 

All my best,

Schatje

Schatje,

Thank you so much for this list.  I think there is enough helpful info for possible stomach/GI issue remedies that I am going to print them out now so I have an easy reference on hand.  I'm so glad the worst of those symptoms are behind you.

I'll need to do a search on the BHI Nausea, because that is the one I've never heard of...what it is or where to get it.

Thanks for being thoughtful and taking the time to make this list for all of us who are suffering these symptoms now.  I hope you won't mind if I PM you on occasion (only if need be) about other possible klonopin to valium symptoms and remedies.

The only thing on your list that I've tried so far is Ginger Tea.

Kian

Hi again, Kian!  :)

BHI Nausea comes in pill form.  They look like mini "Tums" or "Rolaids"...you take 1-3 at once (chew on them) and then they do their work.  It didn't always work and sometimes I wondered if it was more psychological...so I took them and then "thought" it worked, but either way I got relief of some sort!  They are supposed to be good for indigestion as well.  They are not too pricey, so if it doesn't work you won't be out a ton of money. 

The watermelon is what helped the most..OR a good cry.  That's how I know it has to be w/d related, because if I could really cry hard, I'd feel the nausea lift.  Crying doesn't take the stomach flu away.  lol  But I think b/c it's all tied back to our central nervous system, the crying would "release" this feeling and the nausea would slowly subside. 

I am happy I could help...I hope one of the suggestions can give you even a bit of relief.  I really feel for people going through the GI issues b/c they can be so tough to deal with...especially when there is no "miracle cure" for it. 

BIG hugs,

Schatje

And yes, you can pm me.  :)  Take care, Kian!

Kian,

I used cabbage juice for an ulcer and it may help with any digestive disorder.

When I was in my 20's, while taking speed for a short time, I developed a stomach ulcer that wouldn't go away.  I started haunting health food stores and tried one cure after another.  Doctors couldn't help me.  After months of this, I remember reading books like, "How to live with an ulcer" and not sure I could.  Finally, I bought a juicer and tried raw cabbage juice and it worked.

The trick with cabbage juice is that it has to be juiced and drank immediately.  In other words, juice a glass and drink.  The active ingredient breaks down rather quickly.  It was just another "cure" in a book of home remedies.  I used green cabbage, drank about 5 glasses per day, and noticed quick improvement.  The ulcer left never to return.

I've been meaning to try cabbage juice again for some current digestive complaints.  I'm dragging my feet because it means setting up the juicer.  (after I find it)

Vrib   

Kian,

I used cabbage juice for an ulcer and it may help with any digestive disorder.

When I was in my 20's, while taking speed for a short time, I developed a stomach ulcer that wouldn't go away.  I started haunting health food stores and tried one cure after another.  Doctors couldn't help me.  After months of this, I remember reading books like, "How to live with an ulcer" and not sure I could.  Finally, I bought a juicer and tried raw cabbage juice and it worked.

The trick with cabbage juice is that it has to be juiced and drank immediately.  In other words, juice a glass and drink.  The active ingredient breaks down rather quickly.  It was just another "cure" in a book of home remedies.  I used green cabbage, drank about 5 glasses per day, and noticed quick improvement.  The ulcer left never to return.

I've been meaning to try cabbage juice again for some current digestive complaints.  I'm dragging my feet because it means setting up the juicer.  (after I find it)

Vrib 

Vrib,

This is very interesting.  The main obstacle I have is that I do not have a juicer, but I would definitely be willing to pull mine out of the cupboard if I had one. 

That sounds very promising if it helped heal an ulcer....which is actually something I have been concerned that I might get with all the stress and worrying that takes place during waves.  I'm going to have to do a little research on this, but I certainly believe it helped you and I'm glad, too.

Thank you for sharing what has helped your stomach.  I'm in awe I don't already have an ulcer from fear/panic/worry/etc....it almost makes me wonder if those things are really what cause ulcers or it it's other things?  Take care...

Kian

Kian,

Looks like you've had many suggestions for GI problems.  The ginger I was referring to was Crystallized ginger that you can buy in any health food store. It's just little squares of ginger coated with some sort of sugar like substance.  You chew and swallow a couple of them and the nausea usually improves, if not goes away.

Also, you might try DGL-  deglycerrized licorice.  Comes in capsules and chewable tabs.  Take about 20 minutes before eating. 

Also  try probiotics every day to restore the normal good bacteria. Can get it in liquid or capsule.

Also, try a digestive enzyme capsule before eating, along with the licorice.

You might also add an aloe vera capsule along with the enzyme, and licorice before each meal. 

Let me know how any of this works.  I've tried all of this and usually improve if not solve the problem.

Kian,

Looks like you've had many suggestions for GI problems.  The ginger I was referring to was Crystallized ginger that you can buy in any health food store. It's just little squares of ginger coated with some sort of sugar like substance.  You chew and swallow a couple of them and the nausea usually improves, if not goes away.

Also, you might try DGL-  deglycerrized licorice.  Comes in capsules and chewable tabs.  Take about 20 minutes before eating. 

Also  try probiotics every day to restore the normal good bacteria. Can get it in liquid or capsule.

Also, try a digestive enzyme capsule before eating, along with the licorice.

You might also add an aloe vera capsule along with the enzyme, and licorice before each meal. 

Let me know how any of this works.  I've tried all of this and usually improve if not solve the problem.

Excellent...    :thumbsup:

Even more good info....  thank you!

Kian

Hey Kian.  I know all about GI issues from having Celiac disease and wd from benzo's.  Both cause all kinds of damage.

Peppermint is good, ginger, and probiotics do wonders for an upset stomach. Try to avoid hard to digest grains (such as wheat) and consider avoiding lactose which is also very difficult to digest.  Avoid it for a couple weeks and see if you notice any improvements.

Hope you get feeling better soon!

Cedar

Hey Kian.  I know all about GI issues from having Celiac disease and wd from benzo's.  Both cause all kinds of damage.

Peppermint is good, ginger, and probiotics do wonders for an upset stomach. Try to avoid hard to digest grains (such as wheat) and consider avoiding lactose which is also very difficult to digest.  Avoid it for a couple weeks and see if you notice any improvements.

Hope you get feeling better soon!

Cedar

Cedar,

Thanks.  This thread is really turning out to be quite resourceful, and I'm glad so much valuable info is coming in.  I have no doubt this info will help many people including myself. 

I was just checking out sugar free smoothie recipes and peppermint leaves was one of the ingredients in one I was checking out.  Sounds like it's time to make some smoothies with plain greek yogurt and peppermint leaves and other ingredients for a nutritious meal  that will help the stomach as well. 

I'm still amazed every time I read your signature and see that you are healed...especially after a long term bout with benzos.  To me, it's simply miraculous.  Take care...

Kian

I'm also going to try to take your advice and repeat those positive thoughts out loud or at least in my head if I can't get myself to say it out loud when I'm by myself which is MOST of the time.

I've also read that citrus bioflavinoids and vitamin C can have a different type of effect on different medications.  I know this to be particularly true with grapefruit and grapefruit juice but WHILE ON BENZOS.  I'm not sure if the effects are negative or just as bad when BENZO FREE and going through post benzo withdrawals. 

That's what is one of the most difficult things or should I say frustrating things about this long journey is that things that are supposed to help you can actually do the opposite in some cases.  It really has been my experience of hit and miss and gambling with your health each time we desperately try something new with the intentions of getting some sort of short term relief, but on the positive side, look at all we learn in the process.

Kian

I've witnessed what you're getting at with the citrus.  I remember being told about grapefruit, but not citrus in general.  I once ate oranges after taking klonopin and depakote and it messed me up.  Not horribly, but it was pretty uncomfortable.

I'm glad you are using the idea of positive thinking.  I think it's important especially where you're at.  This can be very powerful.  Like I said, it was a main thing that got me through some absolute hell times, like I could have chose to die type of stuff, you know.  It doesn't have to be out loud either.  I think it helps consciously counter some of stuff coming at us. 

Kian

I've witnessed what you're getting at with the citrus.  I remember being told about grapefruit, but not citrus in general.  I once ate oranges after taking klonopin and depakote and it messed me up.  Not horribly, but it was pretty uncomfortable.

I'm glad you are using the idea of positive thinking.  I think it's important especially where you're at.  This can be very powerful.  Like I said, it was a main thing that got me through some absolute hell times, like I could have chose to die type of stuff, you know.  It doesn't have to be out loud either.  I think it helps consciously counter some of stuff coming at us.

Yeah, the other day when I got my fist bottle of diazepam, there is actually a sticker on there that says in caps DO NOT EAT GRAPEFRUIT OR DRINK GRAPEFRUIT JUICE WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION.  I thought that was interesting that the clonazepam bottles don't have the same warning.  Must be the high accumulation of benzo metabolites in the system combined with the long half life that makes the chances of valium toxicity higher than other benzos.

K,

Watch the licorice. I'm pretty sure that it makes your heart race. Check to make sure. By sugar free smoothies, you don't mean artificial sugar do you? That stuff is bad news. We have to be careful fruit even. I was making a smoothie myself today and saw that the cranberries I was using had 5 grams for 1/2 a cup. 5 grams is ok but I did not expect that from cranberries. They're so bitter! I need veggie smoothies. If you have any recipes for them send them my way! ; )

You know I love ya,

J

From what i've read and experienced, sugar from fruits and natural sources is not the same as 'added sugar'.  Not that we should have excess natural sugars, but we still need sugar.  We want to avoid 'added sugars'.

I have been getting these little gurgling noises and feelings in my upper stomach lately and they feel weird.  I am sure it's nothing to worry about and will go away soon enough.  Just wanted to share that.  :)

Cedar

When you said avoid lactose do you mean avoid milk?  I have been drinking a quart a day to try to keep from losing more weight but I am wondering if it could be contributing to my nausea and digestive problems.  Does that sound possible?

Thanks

Golden

Cedar

When you said avoid lactose do you mean avoid milk?  I have been drinking a quart a day to try to keep from losing more weight but I am wondering if it could be contributing to my nausea and digestive problems.  Does that sound possible?

Thanks

Golden

Yes, milk is lactose. Anything with cows milk would be considered lactose.  It's very difficult for humans to digest. We're really not meant to drink milk like this our entire lives.  There are hundreds of articles about it on the web. 

Personally I drink Almond milk. It's sweeter and has more vitamins.  Rice milk or soy milk are good options too.  There are so many wonderful alternatives to cows milk.  :)

Cedar

Thanks for the confirmation.  Now I am looking for foods that will help me keep weight on and not rev up symptoms -- I guess bananas, eggs and I will give almond milk a try.

Thanks