There's a lot I didn't know about Melatonin

[Be...]

Yes, very interesting. I have mixed feelings about how much melatonin helps. I have 1mg capsules and I have taken as much as 4mg at a time, but after reading that if I use it at all I think I will just stick to the 1mg. It is in a capsule form which I think I could probably open and it would have powder inside, so I could maybe even try taking less than the 1mg.

[15...]

I was forced onto it while in hospital and it was dreadful.  After two days of taking it I had a period for 9 days, right after I'd just completed my normal cycle.

In my humble opinion it does have quite significant side effects, well for me it did really interupt my menstrual cycle amongst other things.  Incidentally, it is also has a hallougen component to it.

Staffy

[15...]

Diaz Pam

Everyone is different, some people swear by it.  I believe it's over to our general biochemistry and perhaps overall constitutions.  If it works for you, go for it.

I don't remember having any bad side effects from it but it could be that it was the placebo effect on those nights I thought it helped.  It seems it can be useful for those working odd shifts, traveling to other time zones, etc., who need help tricking their body into thinking it is time to go to sleep when it isn't yet dark.

Three weeks ago I started taking a low dose of melatonin for about 5-6 nights. It left me feeling pretty odd the moment I took it so for the next few nights I experimented with lower doses and finally figured out it was causing me more harm than good. I've been in the worst wave I've ever experienced even while I was still tapering. I've had a few nights of total insomnia and horrible flu like symptoms. I wish I would have listened to my body the first night and maybe I wouldn't be in this mess.

I've been taking melatonin for year straight.... in conjunction with EVERYTHING!!!

huh.... maybe I'll stop that. :sick:

I haven't noticed anything from it to be honest....

good or bad.

I was just taking it because it kept me asleep while the ambien put me to sleep.

Hockeygal. Why is that? About the thyroid? I have thyroid inflammation. First I had hyperthyroid, not I have hypo. I've used melatonin for years. 3 mg during my taper and after. Then a yr later I am on 1 mg. Some nites it works, some it does nothing.

• 1 month later...

I'm also interested about the thyroid thing. I've used both melatonin and thyroxin for years... ummm... Now I find myself a bit scared.

Over here the standard dose of melatonin for adults is 6mg and I've been told that that shouldn't be exceeded. I've also been told that for some reason, smaller doses of melatonin sometimes work better that higher doses.

I've never had any side effects with melatonin; after years of problems falling asleep, it was finally the drug that helped me (after trying about a zillion other drugs). One other person who I met in hospital said that she gets weird dreams when she takes melatonin, but I haven't noticed such an effect.

About the thyroid thing:

I did a google search about melatonin and thyroxine and didn't find anything really relevant about it. In some hamsters (or rats or whatever critters they were) it was noticed that melatonin decreases the production of thyroxine.

Even if this applies to humans, too, if you already *know* that you have some thyroid condition, in that case you have regular blood tests to measure the amount of the hormone in your body. Therefore, your medication can be adjusted correctly, if melatonin or some other drug (or anything) has had an effect on it. So I don't see a problem here.

Anyone who has a thyroid problem must stay away from melatonin at all costs

What is this statement based on?

It's a very serious thing to say without giving backup evidence. ???

• 2 weeks later...
I have been seeing an alternative md and he said you need 20 to 30 mg of melatonin to make a difference.  I took this and it really helped me before I made my recent jump off valium.  I also have a low thyroid.  jackie

have some problems w/ hyperthyroid. Not, currently medicating for it... levels seem to have returned to normal.  I need t o know WHY I shouldn't take it?  It works for me... no perceivable side effects.  If I'd been told the why and whats of benzodiazapenes, I wouldn't be in this fix.  Why should I stay away.  I take 1.5 to 3 mg. a night... since taper fell below 1 mg. of klonopin.  I don't want to lose any more natural ability to fall asleep than I already have, but if there is some insidious reasons that aren't apparent, I'd like to know what they are  or what I can expect.   

I have been seeing an alternative md and he said you need 20 to 30 mg of melatonin to make a difference.  I took this and it really helped me before I made my recent jump off valium.  I also have a low thyroid.  jackie

Wow - that's an incredibly huge dose of melatonin and goes against everything that I've ever read about it. What is his source for making such a statement?

I was surprised too.  He said that most people doesn't know this.  I know now that if I don't take it I can't sleep.  if I take it I can and I just recently jumped off of 1 mg valium nov 27