Improved Name Redaction System

[Co...]

Improved Name Redaction System

Hi all,

Further to the changes we made about a month ago (read the section on Privacy & Anonymity), we have improved the system to remove most occurrences of member names (as displayed to guests and search engines) when they appear within the body of posts. In most cases, instead of your membership name appearing in posts, it will be replaced with: [...]

The system is imperfect - we expect some false negatives. You can help by using members' proper display names in your posts - as these 'display names' are what are removed by the system when displaying posts to guests and search engines. There might be occasional false positives too, where a member name matches a dictionary word - the real word will be removed in error. We will contact the affected members and make alterations to their display name so that they no longer match real words.

Even with members being more careful to use accurate names in their posts, there will still be times when names are not removed. We have some further technical remedies lined up to help deal with these outlier situations. We will let you know when we enact further changes to the name redaction system.

I'd like to thank Nick for developing the code necessary to make these name redactions possible. And on a side note, I'd also like to thank Jack for the server optimisations he performed last night. We scheduled an hour, but I understand that the forum was offline for just 12 minutes. I expect few of you even noticed the forum was unavailable. ;)

Colin..

I have wondered about stalkers with too much time on their hands, or nosy family members and "friends"-I'd HATE to think of them finding out who I was on this forum and reading what I share here...This is AMAZING. THANK YOU ALL!

~stasia :yippee:

Thanks, you have definitely made it impossible to read anything worthwhile (lol) without signing in.  Good Job!

Hiya,

The system is not perfect, but we have some ideas to reduce the number of false positives (these are every few anyway), and the number of false negatives. Even as it stands, it works very well.

I think that although names are redacted, the meat of the posts are almost totally unaffected, and still useful to guests.

Thank you for all you do.  Your work is very much appreciated.  I owe my recovery to you.

I have wondered about stalkers with too much time on their hands, or nosy family members and "friends"-I'd HATE to think of them finding out who I was on this forum and reading what I share here...This is AMAZING. THANK YOU ALL!

~stasia :yippee:

Thank you again, for protecting us!

Thank you all for your comments.

I am not sure if this is the place to ask this but I noticed I cannot read any new posts on my phone anymore. Is that part of the new privacy protocol? My phone has some issues so I wasn't sure if it was my phone or not? Thanks again for everything.

I haven't been on here in a while and am trying to figure the changes out. SO thankful for all the moderators and you Colin!

Afighter

I am not sure if this is the place to ask this but I noticed I cannot read any new posts on my phone anymore. Is that part of the new privacy protocol? My phone has some issues so I wasn't sure if it was my phone or not? Thanks again for everything.

I haven't been on here in a while and am trying to figure the changes out. SO thankful for all the moderators and you Colin!

Afighter

No Afighter. It's sounds like more of an issue with you phone.

Hi Hope,

I'm not sure about that. It might be connected with another system.

afighter,

It might be to do with some system here - just not the name redaction system. If you send me a PM or start a ticket on the Help Desk with the details of your connection, I'll pass them along to the Techs, Nick and Jack. If you use the Ticket system, use Privacy Level: 'Contact Administrators'.

Thanks, you have definitely made it impossible to read anything worthwhile (lol) without signing in.  Good Job!

Hiya,

The system is not perfect, but we have some ideas to reduce the number of false positives (these are every few anyway), and the number of false negatives. Even as it stands, it works very well.

I think that although names are redacted, the meat of the posts are almost totally unaffected, and still useful to guests.

Sorry Colin, I meant that as a joke that we could no longer read names, and that was a good thing.  I guess my sense of humor has gone out the door, wish the benzos would leave as easily.  I truly meant good job!

Hiya,

Sorry Colin, I meant that as a joke that we could no longer read names, and that was a good thing.  I guess my sense of humor has gone out the door, wish the benzos would leave as easily.  I truly meant good job!

Hi,

No, I understood your comment was a joke - it's the nature of quick-fire text. But, because your post caused me a double-take, I thought I'd explain a bit further for the benefit of other members.

On a side note: we've just made some further changes to plug potential holes in the system. We have still to implement some changes to improve the rate of false positive and false negatives. I'll post more about that when we have enacted those changes.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank You for this, colin and the team!  :)  Thanks to all the BenzoBuddies staff for providing this service for free and with no adds.  Truly a blessing.