What is happening in your brain?

[pa...]

That's a long journey. Go slow and you will get there. I did the Ashton method and it worked. Right now I have caught myself again through lack of sleep. And I am doing the Ashton road again. Best wishes Dd.

I can only say thank you. I search endlessly sometimes to figure out why certain things are happening & I search & search & search to no avail. To visualize my brain healing is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

great post and article :D

However, never cold turkey everybody following Parker if you are yet to start.

Taper, Taper, Taper. ok? :thumbsup:

Thanks for message.

Feel pretty zonked doing this change over, the valium makes me depressed in the morning, so I have to keep moving. I live in the countryside (60K west-ish) from Tokyo. and live quite an oiutdoor life, farming and chopping wood ect.  Been down this road before, so I know roughly what to expect. My doctor is fairly understanding which helps, also the pharmacy tell me that they can dispense any amount of powder of V, no matter how small. I just need to get my head around having to do this taper for so long. Any thoughts on coping. Best wishes Dd.

• 2 weeks later...
I am 10 months out and symptom left is head pressure. It seems to get worse when I drive and when laying down. Any recommendations on timeline of healing? I wasn’t on benzos long and at a baby dose compared to most people.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the brain healing as you’re tapering or does the healing start after you’re totally off the medication?

Parker,

As a person who used to teach, you make an excellent teacher. Good use of word craft to explain a complex subject in an understandable way. Too, it is comforting and reassuring to read. It reinforces the "healing" we ARE going through.

Thank you for sharing this. :angel:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for explaining this. It made perfect sense that withdrawal symptoms are actually our brains way of healing!

Parker, that was the most AMAZING post in regards to benzorecovery I have ever read!  :smitten:

I honestly am speechless. So informative, so positive and encouraging, and it restored hope in me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

With great appreciation,

Georgi

Thanks for the insight, although it's unfortunately my second time around, still great to read and the reassurance your message gives. Cheers and all the best to you. Dd.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this post - amazingly helpful and so easy to understand.

My main issues have been racing heart rate and seizures.  The seizures start by my feeling increasingly ill and have included  needing to lie down/feeling of collapse, uncontrolled arm and leg movements, laboured breathing, loud grunting.  I am about 8 weeks from my last dose and tapered down to 125micrograms in milk.  Are you able to explain what part of the brain is causing the seizures?

Many, many thanks

Why is it like trying to steal gold from Fort Knox trying to get back in here after a year or two away? Very encouraging post, perhaps one of the best and should be one of the introductory ones. I am a healthcare professional and did quite a bit of my own research, but this post seemed to sum it all up in a manner that I could totally understand from one who has some specialty in it. For the person without a lot of medical knowledge, basically you dampened your brain chemistry and got used to feeling chilled out, feeling relaxed. When that changes, say if you get cut off from your xanax, klonopin, ativan, or valium, your brain goes back into full speed, and the ability to relax is minimal or not there. That is why you feel anxious, have trouble sleeping, keeping a train of thought, etc. It takes time to go back to normal, the withdrawals are signs that the brain/nervous system is healing, or going back to its natural state. All the experts agree a long slow taper is needed to minimize the utter hell that fast or sudden tapers can bring. I did an immediate 2mg to 1mg taper from xanax to klonopin after reading the Ashton manual (you can download it for free). Short acting benzos like xanax are harder to kick than the longer acting Klonopin or Valium. For some unknown reason, doctors in the US are reluctant to prescribe valium. After doing that 50% taper of xanax some time ago, I felt tense and had brain fog issues, but made a full recovery after 5-6 months. Then I did the switch to the longer acting klonopin. No problems going on 3 weeks, I actually feel much better, but I also quit drinking and take many vitamin and mineral supplements as well as various amino acid supplements that are said to be the building blocks for gaba and others that are supposed to help with nerve transmission, memory and cognitive function. My experience is that they do in fact help me.  I also stockpiled on L-theanine, a natural amino acid only found in plants and passion flower extracts.  The L-theanine in 800-1000mg doses mellowed me out without sedation (they supposedly block glutamate receptors) and passion flower is marketed as a natural stress relieving supplement. That worked for me as good or better then L-theanine but do your own research and ask your doctor. Exercise helped during the 50% taper and as a water titrate .1mg every month or two, will let you know if weekly acupuncture treatments helped me, as others swear by them. Keep fighting the good fight, stay strong and you will prevail. Just takes timde

Hi

This really sucks.

Good post.

I looked for L-theanine 800-1000mg, but could only come with 400mg, I live in Japan, so it's a  little difficult to get this. Would you say 800mg is the minimum you would take?? I just crossed over to 10mg of Valium about a week ago, from 0.8mg of Xanax, the last Xanax I took was 0.050mg before crossing. This is my second time around, so I know what to expect. I found that the V really depressed me, but that's faded, now I just have Cecil B Demille dreams, the height of fantasy, mind blowing stuff. I get a little dis orientated and anxious, but at least I know why.

Your point about on exercise is spot on, before breakfast, I do an hour on the treadmill (listening to music) ranging between 5-6K an hour, this sets me up, I am sure the feel good chemicals in the brain increase, also long walks with the mutts helps.

Thanks for the  L-theanine tip, I will try it.

All good things to you.

Davidjc

I have to say 3 quarters, maybe even more is plagiarised from the internet and it is scientific theory and some of your 10% theories.

Parkers supplements...talking about yourself in the 3rd person and having people now ask you for suggestions when you have no background in scientific studies of Anxiety or Benzo Pharmaceuticals. I grant you this in taking the time to find the info and cutting and pasting or putting it in more your grammar from studies by others took some time, but for the individual who is suffering... one theory does not apply and this is all available except for what you do personally on the internet and your saying thank you to people for a great post. I don't expect this to be popular, my post, but honest. Well let me take something back. Your theories are now on the internet in a post that it seems you may be testing on anxiety folks as book research. By using the back door.

The cause is one thing...the recovery is another. I can break my leg in half and have 9 screws and a 10 inch plate to hold it together (which I did by the way ) I would rather go through that than anxiety or the Benzo Pharmaceutical withdrawal. Whether it's recovery as you say or withdrawal and it doesn't matter what you call it. The result is the same. If it helps people to call it recovery, that's great ! Now from what I read and this includes myself is when we taper a lot of what we are feeling is the anxiety that we had and were prescribed the medication for. It is not all withdrawal. I didn't have to read that on the internet to know that. I am a My studies and degrees are in Human Relations and English Communications. Which have nothing to do with anxiety or pharmaceuticals nor does your degree. Now in know way am I knocking you except your post is a Frankenstein version of other folks hard work and your own theories sewn together. Which is fine in a post. That does not guarantee a recovery for anyone else and the studies listed the actual person who wrote it and researched it, should have a credit as opposed to the facility.

I think folks, from all the posts I have read are looking for people like them to not feel so alone. I do not claim to have any answers nor would I post something from the internet because it sounds scientific of mind and body. Unless I gave the Scientists, Doctor, Author full credit for their work. I don't know where your research is coming from for the book you say your writing. I have a whole library of books on the subject of Anxiety and the Pharmaceuticals used to treat it and unfortunately I think most Doctors don't educate their patients on long term use and then we all believe we have two problems when really we have the same problem that we started out with. We just masked it and when we mask it...as soon as we take off the mask the same person Is revealed and the anxiety that was masked feels even stronger. Because we have forgotten how bad it really felt.

I can read the cause a million times and for 5 minutes there may be a feeling of euphoria as a lot of folks have replied with and I can't blame them as they are tired and looking for answers. Peace for all.

I would really like to hear from the folks that were so deep in to it and got out and their reflections on the road out of hell. I am one who got out years ago, but somehow lost his way and got back in through 6 deaths in the family. Now most people would say, that would cause a mental illness. True, but I knew how to deal with it and got lost and don't want to use it as a excuse or a sympathizer to the road back.

So if your post helped some folks that's great, but talking about yourself in the third person and supplements and giving advice. I think there may be some disappointments with that as individuals who were triggered in different ways. Because you are not qualified and people are asking you for suggestions and until you have the Psychology Degree on your wall and even that with some patients is not worth the paper that it is scribed on. Because it hasn't worked for them. You know as well as I that the research on Anxiety Disorders has and probably always will be lacking because it is not a fatal disease. If you can pull this off in the future. I would commend you 100%, but Frankenstein Posts from the internet from folks who put a lot of time and effort in to Psychological Disorders and you taking bows for it. I think you might want to rethink your execution on education in this area. I don't mean any harm. It is just a tired anxious person( me ) who knows the cause and searching for the individual recovery. I know the road there and once knew the road out, but forgot it.

Peace,

DG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[c1...]
thank you for the beautiful explanation.  there is research being conducted, and information being presented about the TSPO.  Apparently, TSPO is expressed greatl with inflammation...and expressed in many organs outside of brain.  i read articles pertaining to MS and other neurological diseases.  does anyone have any insight on this?

• 1 month later...

I have to say 3 quarters, maybe even more is plagiarised from the internet and it is scientific theory and some of your 10% theories.

Parkers supplements...talking about yourself in the 3rd person and having people now ask you for suggestions when you have no background in scientific studies of Anxiety or Benzo Pharmaceuticals. I grant you this in taking the time to find the info and cutting and pasting or putting it in more your grammar from studies by others took some time, but for the individual who is suffering... one theory does not apply and this is all available except for what you do personally on the internet and your saying thank you to people for a great post. I don't expect this to be popular, my post, but honest. Well let me take something back. Your theories are now on the internet in a post that it seems you may be testing on anxiety folks as book research. By using the back door.

The cause is one thing...the recovery is another. I can break my leg in half and have 9 screws and a 10 inch plate to hold it together (which I did by the way ) I would rather go through that than anxiety or the Benzo Pharmaceutical withdrawal. Whether it's recovery as you say or withdrawal and it doesn't matter what you call it. The result is the same. If it helps people to call it recovery, that's great ! Now from what I read and this includes myself is when we taper a lot of what we are feeling is the anxiety that we had and were prescribed the medication for. It is not all withdrawal. I didn't have to read that on the internet to know that. I am a My studies and degrees are in Human Relations and English Communications. Which have nothing to do with anxiety or pharmaceuticals nor does your degree. Now in know way am I knocking you except your post is a Frankenstein version of other folks hard work and your own theories sewn together. Which is fine in a post. That does not guarantee a recovery for anyone else and the studies listed the actual person who wrote it and researched it, should have a credit as opposed to the facility.

I think folks, from all the posts I have read are looking for people like them to not feel so alone. I do not claim to have any answers nor would I post something from the internet because it sounds scientific of mind and body. Unless I gave the Scientists, Doctor, Author full credit for their work. I don't know where your research is coming from for the book you say your writing. I have a whole library of books on the subject of Anxiety and the Pharmaceuticals used to treat it and unfortunately I think most Doctors don't educate their patients on long term use and then we all believe we have two problems when really we have the same problem that we started out with. We just masked it and when we mask it...as soon as we take off the mask the same person Is revealed and the anxiety that was masked feels even stronger. Because we have forgotten how bad it really felt.

I can read the cause a million times and for 5 minutes there may be a feeling of euphoria as a lot of folks have replied with and I can't blame them as they are tired and looking for answers. Peace for all.

I would really like to hear from the folks that were so deep in to it and got out and their reflections on the road out of hell. I am one who got out years ago, but somehow lost his way and got back in through 6 deaths in the family. Now most people would say, that would cause a mental illness. True, but I knew how to deal with it and got lost and don't want to use it as a excuse or a sympathizer to the road back.

So if your post helped some folks that's great, but talking about yourself in the third person and supplements and giving advice. I think there may be some disappointments with that as individuals who were triggered in different ways. Because you are not qualified and people are asking you for suggestions and until you have the Psychology Degree on your wall and even that with some patients is not worth the paper that it is scribed on. Because it hasn't worked for them. You know as well as I that the research on Anxiety Disorders has and probably always will be lacking because it is not a fatal disease. If you can pull this off in the future. I would commend you 100%, but Frankenstein Posts from the internet from folks who put a lot of time and effort in to Psychological Disorders and you taking bows for it. I think you might want to rethink your execution on education in this area. I don't mean any harm. It is just a tired anxious person( me ) who knows the cause and searching for the individual recovery. I know the road there and once knew the road out, but forgot it.

Peace,

DG

Davesupport

I really would like to know where you found this information. Really, I'm not being combative, but would really like to read the place where this information came from. Can you put a link to one/some of the material? It's all over the internet because people repost things, but the scientific papers are interesting read. I've been on the NCBI database and gleaned information there but are there other sources? Thank You.

I agree. This article was the very first one I read, way back when I was a newbie here, that explained WHY I felt as bad as I did. Her writing was a bit technical for a benzo brain to grasp, but I understood enough of it to understand that I felt the awful way I did FOR REASONS. I was NOT insane. That alone was priceless.

east

• 4 weeks later...
Wow! Thanks for this post. If I've ever found this info before I got into benzo, I would've never touched a pill! Currently going through my last round of doses. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the complex nature of tapering. It really helps to understand "good days" bad days.

I felt better after reading it ... knowing on the "bad" days Im healing, and as you said THE DRUG IS GONE.  I printed it and will

remind myself of the "process". I am also sharing the family member part with my husband - who needs to understand also. Thanks

again and prayers for your complete recovery.

• 2 weeks later...