[Mi...]

Hi my name is Mickey.  I'm new to this forum and feel a little lost re: "tickets" etc.  I've been on doctor prescribed Ativan for sleep for about 10 years.  Have tried tapering it using Benadryl with some success.  Want to withdraw from it all as it's causing signifigant short term memory loss.

Hi Micky,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Don't worry about "tickets". That's just something we use at the Help Desk. You have now been approved.

We have many members who have successfully tapered Ativan, who will be very informative and supportive.

It's easier for forum members to help you if you create a signature so that we know exactly which medication you're on and how long you've been taking it, etc.

Please Click Here to learn how to create a signature.

Hope

Hello Mickey,

Welcome to the forum !

You will be given plenty of support here from a group of very caring and knowledgeable people.

Short term memory loss can be a common side effect of benzo use, I experienced this myself. I wonder if you could let us know a little more of how you are tapering.

General tapering advice is to reduce the dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 to 14 days according to how you are feeling. This rate is a good starting guideline but often has to modified when we reach the lower doses where many of us feel the need to cut less.

Here is a link to The Ashton Manual which is a good resource for understanding how benzodiazepines affect the body and how to withhdraw from them.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Here also is a link to The Withdrawal & recovery support board where you can post questions relating to your symptoms.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=55.0

Finally here is a link to the Ativan support blog where you can meet other members who are also tapering from Ativan. I'm sure they'd be happy to assist you with sage tapering advice.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44903.msg884215#msg884215

I'm glad you found us and I wish you well.

Debbie  :)

Thank you everyone for your support and the time you took responding to me!  It means so much!  Talked my doctor into a Valium taper from Ativan today;  he got a little huffy but agreed to help me.  Frankly I feel like he inappropriately prescribed Ativan for sleep the last ten years, (which I now find is a potent amnesic and the reason for my significant memory loss) so he should be willing to help me out.  I've used the Ashton model and come up with a schedule to switch over from Ativan 3 mg. at bedtime to a gradual reduction with Valium.  Wish me luck!  I feel like such a newbie, and you'all have so much experience, I'm in awe!

Mickey

Hi Mickey :)

Welcome!  You can do this!  Just wondering if you've split up your dose?  My lovely dr has had me on a similar dose of Ativan for the past 10 years.  I just started my taper and I'm down to 3mg now.  I too was taking one dose per day at bedtime and am feeling better since splitting my dose into 4 equal every 6 hours.  Btw, my doc won't help me with the taper....

Between the Ashton Manual, Benzo Buddies, and your semi-supportive dr., you've got your bases covered :thumbsup:

Best wishes for a smooth taper!

Live

Hello LiveintheNow!

Thanks for your support;  I really appreciate it!  Don't understand tho what splitting my dose would accomplish?  Why did you split yours?  My problem is insomnia, and I doubt I could sleep without the whole dose at bedtime.  I have no anxiety, etc. during the day.  Thanks for your help.

Mickey

Hi Mickey-

I developed severe tolerance withdrawal, meaning, around 12 hours after my nighttime dose, I started feeling terrible.......within a few hours, much worse, and by early evening severe withdrawal symptoms.  So, in order for me to function AND taper, I split the dose into 4 equal doses appx 6 hours apart.  Since Ativan has a relatively short half life (meaning it loses it's effectiveness sometimes as soon as 6 hours after a dose), taking the smaller dose every 6 hours keeps it level in my system. I was amazed that I was able to fall asleep fine after taking only 1 mg (taking the other 3 every 6 hrs prior to bed). 

With my taper, I reduce the exact amount from each dose every 4 hours.  This seems to work best with my nervous system.  With that being said, if you don't have any withdrawal symptoms between doses, you may be able to just slowly reduce your one, nighttime dose.  Everyone's taper will be a little different. 

There is a thread specifically for those of us tapering off of Ativan.  It's in the Withdrawal section of the forum.  There very well could be others that are tapering off with just a single dose.  You might want to post a new question in the withdrawal section to find out if others are tapering with one dose.  I know some can do it with Klonopin or Valium sometimes because they have a longer half life.

Have you noticed any other symptoms aside from the short term memory loss?  Anyway, sorry for the long winded response........ I can get a bit rambly at times ;)

Take care

Live :)

Thanks Live,

It helps to hear about other people's experiences --- so don't apologize for being "long-winded"!  Boy, withdrawing from ativan directly must be really hard!  Good for you!  I'm so grateful that my MD agreed to switch me over to Valium, even tho he doesn't understand the Ashton model and is only trusting me bec. I'm a psychiatric nurse.  I gave him alot of reading to do!  It seems that the long half-life of Valium will carry me thru the day.  At present I have no other symptoms except the short term memory loss, TG.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for your support!

Mickey:

Hey Mickey-

Hope you're doing well :). Just wondering how the c/o to V has been treating you?  I may c/o when I get down a bit more...... I'm not totally sure......

Peace :)

Live

Hi Live,

Hope you're doing well!  The first week of c/o to valium was hard, sleepless every other night.  This week is better with the valium doubled since it's such a much better sedative.

Mickey

Hi Mickey -

It sounds like your c/o hasn't been too bad , aside from no sleep for a week :(. It's good to hear that you've been able to c/o.  I am considering it closer to the end of my taper...... My dr isn't really on board with the whole idea of me getting off this drug as he thinks it's perfectly "safe" to be on forever ....... My memory loss, etc begs to differ!  I'll probably need a new dr to c/o.......  I'm glad your doc is sympathetic.....

Can't wait to read your success story :)

Peace-

Live