Agoraphobia and Panic Attacks

[Su...]

O.K.  Anybody ever deal with agoraphobia here?  That's the reason I started taking benzos 22 years ago.  Just got off of the pain pills and ended up back on xanex (only this time only 2 mg vs 4 mgs). Only thing is that it is hardly touching the anxiety and I'm having panic attacks even at home all day.  If anybody reads this, can you help me?

Summer!!

Missed you alot.

I am not having panic attacks, but still dealing with anxiety, and definitely agoraphobic. Not to the point of panic,  but very uncomfortable getting dressed and made up and leaving the house. I used to love doing that. Hate it now. I don't want to see anyone. 

Congratulations on d/c'ing the pain pills. Good Job :yippee: :yippee:

I'm sorry you aren't doing too well. How has your sleep been?

Love Linda  :smitten:

Hi Summer,

Yes I have suffered with Agoraphobia and panic attacks this year. I have never had them in my life until I got out of a rehab place and re-instated the valium.  The only way I have been able to get over it, and I am over it 90% is to FORCE myself to go out.  I cowered in my house a full three months before I could even get up the courage to walk to the end of the driveway.  I think a lot of parnoid thinking is benzo/trauma induced.  Now that I am at a low dose of valium, I am able to do more and more things, go out, exercise and forget about staying indoors.  You must MAKE youself get out.  Even if you have a panic attack, even if you shake, even if you get DP/DR.  The only way through it, is through it.  INVENT a reason to go outside, even if it just to look at the sky or a tree.  Walk around your yard if you cannot go down the street.  Push yourself a little further every day.  You will soon be better.

Summer, I think that as you get used to the lower dose of xanax, you will find that you are improving.  Try and keep cutting/tapering, no matter how hard it gets. The lower the benzo, the lower the paranoia.

Take care, I am sure someone else will be along soon to give you their experience.  Remember, a panic attack never killed Anyone.  

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

summer there were times i would wait until the sun went down just to reach my mail outside the door.

when i have a doctors appointment i try to schedule as much as possible - because i am out and i do not know when i will be out again.

how is that for agoraphobia - and i have a party to go to tomorrow - all red eyed and feeling like the wind is blowing thru me and everyone i am sure can read every thought that crosses my mind.

wish me luck

no girl you are sooooooooooo not alone - but you have sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to be proud of - you kicked pain meds and that is a BIGGGGY. ;)

summer there were times i would wait until the sun went down just to reach my mail outside the door.

I do that too!

when i have a doctors appointment i try to schedule as much as possible - because i am out and i do not know when i will be out again.

And that too!

Silver,

You will be fine tomorrow and they will love you just like we do. :)

Summer,

Once I hit tolerance I had horrible panic attacks. The bad ones would have me taking an extra 2mg of Xanax then lying in bed until it would stop. When it happened outside my house it was disastrous. I would avoid that situation and never return, Certain things I haven't done in months some even years. I was eventually diagnosed agoraphobic.

Since my Xanax dose has decreased the major panic attacks are gone. I’m still for the most part housebound but not trying right now to change that. I do get out occasionally. The worries I had about driving my daughter to school just a few blocks away are all gone. I just came back from doing that taking no Xanax since last night

I found a local therapist who specializes in panic disorders and agoraphobia. I’m not going to go until I am off the Xanax. I just want to go clear-headed and put all my energy into this taper. I accept agoraphobia as just part of my benzo withdrawal. I don't try and fight it or even let it get me down. I don't force myself to do too much because w/d symptoms could easily put myself deeper into agoraphobia.  Very soon after I am benzo free I will start going to this therapist and do very aggressive exposure and CBT therapy. When I look at my earlier posts at how worried I was about driving my daughter to school and how I feel today I know exposure therapy will play an important role in not just coping but curing my anxiety/panic/ agoraphobia disorder.

Dave

Hello Linda, Christine, Silver & Dave,

So nice of you wonderful people to help me out right away.  I am amazed at all of your progress and status (moderators & Ambassador).  Silver - are you off?  Congrats!  Linda and Dave, I'm amazed at your progress.  Way to go!

Thanks so much for answering me.  I feel less alone.  Yes, I've been having a pretty bad time lately.  I think it has to do with so much med changes.  Since July I've been switching meds from antidepressants Paxil to Cymbalta to Lexipro and off and then on valium and recently back on xanex and off of Percocet.  Think the Percocet was adding to the effects of the Xanex so that when I was on 4 mg of xanex and percocet, it was probably like being on 6 mg of xanex or more. 

I'm seeing an anxiety counselor (about one of the few places I can still go).  I guess I'm expecting my anxiety to be like it was when I was having very few panic attacks.  Well, I got so depressed I hate to admit it but I'm back on the Paxil (so I still have 2 drugs to get off of).  Well, I'm just trying to stabilize on the 2 mg of xanex right now.  Actually if I have to go up to 4 mg of xanex to stabilize, it will be worth it.  Eventually, I will get off the xanex, but my body has to stabilize from being off the pain med.  It has only been 1 week.  Wish I knew how to set goals on tackling the anxiety.  I know I know how to taper when the time comes and I know I have all of you for support.  It makes me feel much better.

Do you guys ever have your pulse racing all day long?  Oh well, it's nice to see you all again.

hi summer - yes i am off - thank you for the congratulations.

i suffer from agraphobia - i think it may be a common trait amongst all of us or at least most of us.

i am glad you are off pain pills that is a bear.

it would be wise not to up your doses of other pills - benzo's are a bear that requires bigger and bigger doses - so if you felt decent on the dose you are on - hold it.

Hi Silver,

So far I am staying on 2 mg of xanex or 1.5  each day.  Going to probably stay here until after the 1st of the year - then I'll reevaluate.  I've made too many medication changes over the last 5 months and my body and mind have to catch up to all the changes.  So happy to see you are off the meds.  I've missed you and everyone else!

• 4 weeks later...
[64...]

I have been on Valium for 40 years. I am 56 years old.  I recently have horrible agoraphobia,panic attacks.  I just found this site.  I only take 4 mg daily, but I am very sensitive to meds.  When you get your agoraphobia, are you able to move around the house freely. I do not even feel comfortable in my own home any more.  I am also very weak and have hormonal issues.  Help me.

Thanks

Mary,

Hello and welcome to Benzobuddies.  Would you like to start a new thread in the welcome section and tell us a little about yourself and benzo history.  How much are you taking?  You say you have been on benzos for 40 years?  We will be happy to help you as much as we can.  Are you looking to stop taking your valium?  Would you like some help with that?  Come back and tell us more.

XXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

[64...]

Hi,

I do not know if this is the source of my problem.  The shrink wants me to go on Lexapro as I also have clinical depresssion.  I take 4mg of Valium per day and it is brand not generic.  I am going to start weaning off tommorrow.

I hope that is the right thing to do.

I have been on Valium for 40 years. I am 56 years old.  I recently have horrible agoraphobia,panic attacks.  I just found this site.  I only take 4 mg daily, but I am very sensitive to meds.  When you get your agoraphobia, are you able to move around the house freely. I do not even feel comfortable in my own home any more.  I am also very weak and have hormonal issues.  Help me.

Thanks

I was very agoraphobic and felt strange and alien in my own skin, let alone my home and God forbid anywhere outside, including my own backyard.  I was totally exhausted and had what I called jelly legs...they felt like they were made of jello and would give out on me at anytime...but they never did, thankfully. I am also in early peri-menopause and have a lot of hormonal issues, as well, at almost 38 years old.  In fact it was taking a birth control for endometriosis that gave me the panic attacks that sent me to the ER and was how I got put on Ativan in the first place. >:(

Hi,

I do not know if this is the source of my problem.  The shrink wants me to go on Lexapro as I also have clinical depresssion.  I take 4mg of Valium per day and it is brand not generic.  I am going to start weaning off tommorrow.

I hope that is the right thing to do.

Everything you feel is benzo-related.  You are doing the right thing in getting off the Valium and although it won't be an easy road...you will be glad you did it in the end.  Please don't further poison your body and mind with Lexapro.  It won't help.  What you feel is not clinical depression, it's chemical and will gradually leave you when you have gotten lower in your Valium or are off entirely.

Hi Again Mary,

LOL I am SUCH a ditz. You said in your first post how much you were taking.  Ok. 4 mg.  Well that is not such a large dose.  You will be able to taper off of it without too much of a problem.  If you have the 2 mg pills start with taking away 1/4 of 1 mg.  Hold that for about two to three weeks and see how you are doing.  I would not start the Lexapro Mary.  It is not going to ease your benzo withdrawal, it is not going to make you less depressed, or make you happy.  It is just another cursed drug with horrible side effects you will have to taper off of.  Please read some of the posts here about AD's, read Jane24's thread about using Lexapro. Get on the internet and do some research about SSRI side effects and discontinuation syndrome before you start taking it. OK?  If you decide to take it, at least be informed about what you are getting into, and I don't mean information from your doctor or the pharmacutical company.  Take care.

XXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

mary if you have a problem you cannot take drugs and make it go away - you need to treat the problem.

drugs rebound and make the problem worse.  if you are acrophobic you need to get to the bottom of it not cover it up.

shrinks are drug pushers - that's about it - cognitive therapy is good - getting off drugs and reclaiming your life is good.

Hi Mary,

I've been on xanex for 20 years and am 52 years old.  I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia.  Also have generalized anxiety disorder and am a major space cadet.  Pleased to meet you.

Summer

Hi Mary,

I've been on xanex for 20 years and am 52 years old.  I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia.  Also have generalized anxiety disorder and am a major space cadet.  Pleased to meet you.

Summer

All these things will go away after you are off the Xanax, Summer...I truly believe that. :)

• 1 month later...

I have been off Klonapin now for about 9 weeks. Although the halucinations and voices are gone, I am having panic attacks and agoraphobia really bad. I am having problems leaving the house and getting in the car. I haven't left my house in over a week. I am glad to know that i am not alone but i am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I hope you find some relief.

Matt

hi matt - i sent you an inspirational song in the mail - please click it - if you listen to it when you are having a hard to you will realize you are not the first or only.

ok - stages of post benzo for me

1. looked and felt like hell - but really happy to be off

2. realized that my gaba rays had a way to go and could not sleep after sleep supplements stopped work

3. had to keep going over my progress cause i felt like i had failed to do anything but become benzo free

4. gained strength by looking back

5. practiced relaxation excersies even if i was doing ok

6. every night when i was in bed i gave thanks for all the good things in my life

- a bed

- a roof over my head

- being benzo free

- having this board

- having support on an unlimited basis from this board

and i am sure you can think over others - like that lady in your life -

i went over my thanks every night - some nights i would giggle cause i had so very much to be thankful for that i felt like a fool not to see it and appreciate it.

matt i hope i said at least one thing that will help you