When people just don't understand you..........

[ce...]

My greatest frustration is that it appears most people simply don't believe  benzo w/d exists.  I've had other medical issues as of late and as difficult as those were, and trust me they were, the hardest thing throughout all of this is the lack of understanding and knowledge of the existence of w/d, mostly by medical professionals I've encountered.  All I really want is the acknowledgement that this experience is as serious and distressful as other medical conditions.

Sometimes, as a result, I start thinking that maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it and then go ahead and try to push things.  Each and every time, it's bit me in the ass and proves to me just how real it is.  I'm as tired of this as anyone in my life, probably more so.  But that changes nothing.  It still exists, I still have to taper slowly and I still have to go though mini w/d's every time I cut.  And yet, I still get the impression from others, family and doctors, that this horrible, long lasting, distressful experience is not real.  This whole thing just makes me crazy.

WWW, I agree.  I wanted validation more than anything else.  Just some acknowledgement from the medical community that what I'd been put through was not "imagined" or me being a "hypochondriac".  This link I found to wikipedia was the validation I needed and all the other written information I found on the internet about benzo wd.  I searched out validation because I wasn't getting any from any of my doctors.  Never did.

But, since having gone through this and recovered I met a wonderful friend who is an RN at an ER and she says they hvae patients come into the ER everyday with benzo wd.  That made my heart soar!  Not that I want others to suffer, but that I had a bit of validation from someone who sees this on a regular basis.

Finally, no one can tell me it's some "underlying anxiety disorder".  Geez!    >:(

My greatest frustration is that it appears most people simply don't believe  benzo w/d exists.  I've had other medical issues as of late and as difficult as those were, and trust me they were, the hardest thing throughout all of this is the lack of understanding and knowledge of the existence of w/d, mostly by medical professionals I've encountered.  All I really want is the acknowledgement that this experience is as serious and distressful as other medical conditions.

Sometimes, as a result, I start thinking that maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it and then go ahead and try to push things.  Each and every time, it's bit me in the ass and proves to me just how real it is.  I'm as tired of this as anyone in my life, probably more so.  But that changes nothing.  It still exists, I still have to taper slowly and I still have to go though mini w/d's every time I cut.  And yet, I still get the impression from others, family and doctors, that this horrible, long lasting, distressful experience is not real.  This whole thing just makes me crazy.

WWW, I agree.  I wanted validation more than anything else.  Just some acknowledgement from the medical community that what I'd been put through was not "imagined" or me being a "hypochondriac".  This link I found to wikipedia was the validation I needed and all the other written information I found on the internet about benzo wd.  I searched out validation because I wasn't getting any from any of my doctors.  Never did.

But, since having gone through this and recovered I met a wonderful friend who is an RN at an ER and she says they hvae patients come into the ER everyday with benzo wd.  That made my heart soar!  Not that I want others to suffer, but that I had a bit of validation from someone who sees this on a regular basis.

Finally, no one can tell me it's some "underlying anxiety disorder".  Geez!    >:(

That's tremendous to have someone who is on the front lines and who will acknowledge it's existence.  I keep going back to the medical stuff I just went through.  What is crazy making is that w/d is just as real and as painful as the other stuff I went through and yet there is such a dichotomy between how this is treated and how those were treated.  After all of the reading I've done including the link you posted (great link btw), it's hard not to think conscious conspiracy.

How do you think I felt when I tried telling everyone that I was going through w/d because I stupidly c/t off my tablets one a AD the other a benzo but no I was suffering from depression,for crying out loud depression is a symptom of w/d and I spend 4 months of hell in psych hospital and I see a man who does't know me and because I had lost a lot of weight and I mean a lot you could see my ribs,he puts me on a different AD Remeron and then Lithium and still puts me back on Nitrazepam 10 mg a sleeping tablet that is worse to come off than heroin.