Remeron update?

[ru...]

Although it was back in April lst, I read with great interest the posts from Nikki, Jan and ED about "benefits" (for lack of any better word for any medication)/..of Remeron - mirtazapine generic.  For SLEEP..lack of sleep that is purely depression-based. And for several testimonials on another forum  I have read...for it's ability to lift depresssion, perhaps even anxiety.

NOt to confuse my issue of tapering off ativan as I'm in the new community forum, but my question(s) if Nikki, Jan or Ed are still nearby this forum....Is or CAN  a person able to interdose and continue my  Ativan tapering during the day, and simply taking 15mg romeron at night for the primary purpose of sleep?  And to paraphrase one of the post quotes from the previous remeron topic started by Nikki....I'm not concerned about the sense of another adddiction. DEal with that later as Jan mentioned.  Even if there was such a thing as a "perfect world" and all......

Any response or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

peace, rubee.

Hi Rubee,

Well, I don't know what others might say, but I can give you my two cents worth about my own experience with Remeron.  I won't get into my whole history here, if you are interested, you can go and read my blog.  But over the last year I attempted to take Remeron twice in the hopes that it would ease my anxiety and also sleep issues while tapering off valium. I was only on 7.5 mg for a couple of weeks each time, but I can tell you that I felt nothing but poisoned by the Remeron.  I came to call it "Ramrod" for the stupifying feeling it gave me.  Yes, it will knock you on your ass at night, but you will be barely functional the next day.  I urge you to do some research on the internet as to the possible side effects this drug has.  For me, it made me manic, adgitated and sleepy all at once. it also gave me edema, my legs swelled up like balloons, and it gave me breathing problems.  As with all drugs that mess with your seratonin, it can turn you into an emotionless zombie. 

Everyone is different.  My body seems to be extremely sensitive to psych drugs.  All of them have side effects.  You may get them, you may not. You may get a common one, you may get a rare one.  Only you can decide if it is worth putting another poison into your system while you are trying to kick out the benzo demon.  Please go to wikipedia and look up Remeron, read the side effect list and ask yourself it it is worth it to even try.

May I suggest melatonin, tart cherry caps, hops, passionflower or valerian as alternatives to your sleep isssues? 

Also, if you read the BCNC web page, Remeron is the ONE AD that is not recomended to take while tapering off benzos

Ultimately, you will have to decide whether the possible benefits outweigh the risks of starting Remeron.  I wish you the best no matter what your decision.

XXXXXXX

Christine/Blue/Moth

Hi Bluemoth, and thanks for your reply and input....and I did research remeron further through wik....For that and other reasons, I'm not sure, or probably doubt that I  will try what intially sounded like a bit of a "miracle" pill...and as my doctor once said, we're all vividly aware there is no such, in ANY perfect world.  I reacted badly to trazadone, so as to another pych drug....I dont know... I'm not very enthused about the likely possibilty of swelling, breathing, and insatiable appetite issues, to name a few. 

Yea, I've tried natural herb supplements in any combination and those you mentioned for sleep...and to absolutely no results, even beyond the disgust of valerian taste.  I just received an other mail offer from "Great Night's Sleep 3" which combines NOw up to SIXTEEN propriety-blended such herbs.    wow.  Although I know others have had some success with passion flower, melatonin...etc.  So what to do..

Anyhow briefly back to remeron, it was still enticing to read through pages of testimonials that were largely 2 to 1 in favor...but I keep coming back to what you and others have said about injecting another "poison", and to any lasting benefits of such a powerful drug versus some pretty huge side effects.    maybe the "plus" side is too good to be true, or hindsight is NOT always 20-20. 

P.S> having the difficulty I do with some cognitive ablities and thinking, wasnt able to find the BCNC web page that addressed this drug?  In the meantime, I wish you well, and like you ...what to do, but  to keep on keeping on..to vanquish the benzo demon....

peace, rubeee.

Hi Rubee,

I am glad to hear that you did some research on Remeron (Ramrod).  I wish to God I had done the same before I ever put one benzo into my mouth.  But as you say, hindsight is wonderful thing.  Yes, I read the testamonials about Remeron too.  In fact, when I got out of dietox I was so desperate for relief and so suicidal, I was the one who suggested to my shrink that I try the Remeron.  I remember chosing it for the very reason you are giving it consideration, that it would help me sleep, and it's side effect profile seemed more benign than most SSRIS.  boy, was I wrong!! I have come to the conclusion that nothing will help me to heal except titration and time.  It has been said a thousand times that we all have to walk the hard road, and a rocky road it is.  I am determined to keep trudging. 

BTW, here is a link to the website I was talking about, the link goes to the particular page that talks about Remeron.  I don't think Colin will mind if I post the link.  It is a British site devoted to getting off benzos.  I don't know who wrote this particular page as no author is cited.

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/drugs.html

Good Luck Rubee, Take Care.

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

BTW, here is a link to the website I was talking about, the link goes to the particular page that talks about Remeron.  I don't think Colin will mind if I post the link.

Hi Bluemoth,

Here's the rule that covers such issues:

Links to websites and posts that are considered promotional in nature will be deleted without notice. All decisions in this regard are to the discretion of the BenzoBuddies Team. These decisions are considered final and are not open for discussion.

The Forum Rules.

It is spammy links that are not allowed. Your link is fine. ;)

• 3 months later...

Remeron works great for me..for sleep and fibromyalgia. However, will pack the fat on you like plaster on the wall.

INB

• 3 weeks later...
[b3...]

I take 15mg of Remeron for sleep, but it gives me restless legs which, IRONICALLY is why my Doctor gave me Klonopin...

Which worked for my anxiety...

Still, the Remeron helps me sleep. I think. :)

I take 15mg of Remeron for sleep, but it gives me restless legs which, IRONICALLY is why my Doctor gave me Klonopin...

Which worked for my anxiety...

Still, the Remeron helps me sleep. I think. :)

Pete, I had rls long story, it's gone now. But have you ever been to rlshelp.org? It has lists of meds which aggrevate rls. Remeron is one of them. Also, he says klon does nothing for rls, except maybe help you sleep thru it.

I hadmy rls from a severe iron depletion. I donated to much blood. I brought my iron back up and though it took nearly a year, it's finally gone.

Have you ever had your ferritin levels (iron storage) checked? If it's below 50, this could be causing your rls, and can be corrected with high dose iron supplementation. But only if you are low.

• 1 month later...
[b3...]

I should have that checked, because this rls is driving me nuts.

However, I take a multi-vitamin, which I assumed covered iron. Then again, maybe not.

:crazy:

-pete

However, I take a multi-vitamin, which I assumed covered iron. Then again, maybe not.

:crazy:

-pete

Normally it does, but if you are deficient, it's not enough.

[b3...]

Well, I guess I'm going to have to head to the doctor (again lol). I'll have this checked out just to be on the safe side.

- Pete  :smitten:

Well, I guess I'm going to have to head to the doctor (again lol). I'll have this checked out just to be on the safe side.

- Pete  :smitten:

Good. The test is called "Ferritin".

If it's below 50, I'll let you know what you can do to bring it up.