Any Light W/D Symptoms?

[Je...]

I need to read some positive experiences.  Anyone here feel light symptoms or hardly none at all while tapering titration way?  So far I have had some agitation but am still sleeping, still on a high dose I think 7.5 temazepam.  Will I undoubtedly lose sleep? I feel i can do anything as long as I sleep.  I went cold turkey cause I didn't know any better and got no sleep, was like a lunatic the next day.  I just need to hear that SOME people are doing well, and not going crazy.

I also got the news that I am being moved to a new attorney at work (legal secretary) with a higher work load.  Talk about bad timing...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [si...]

• [...]

• [Je...]

Hahaha. Sorry to laugh Jenn. I'm doing fantastically today....

But I cannot say anymore or I'll spoil my formal, planned update! :yippee:

I'll letcha know; come right back with a linky.

Hi Jenn,

I know, we should have an archive or success stories, and we have not. Not because there have not been successes, it just a failing on our (my) part to have not seeked them out. But look at Sandy, and Therese, and others. Loads of people have withdrawn from benzos and moved on - so will you. I am so much better of the benzo than on. I would never go back. ;)

He

I'm Ok ,didnt have any real ugly life altering experiences through withdrawal, wasnt a tea party but do able,however still have tinnitus.

TC

Bobers

Hey Colin I just wanted to let you know I am going to the doctor on friday to ask for another month of the 7.5 temazepam capsules. I can't even fathom breaking up the 15's when I am already down to 7.5.  I asked the pharmacist for help and that didn't get me anywhere so somehow I have to explain to the doctor what I want to do, a SLOWER taper.  I'm going to get a bigger cylinder, I picked a baby dropper/cylinder but it only goes to 5ml.  Not sure I can find a 100, but maybe I can get a 10 and eye ball my cuts between the lines?  I still don't know if I can open the capsules but have been doing it already and am still alive, so they way I see it is I have no choice.  I just got a promotion of sorts and having bad days is not an option for me at this point, plus I have bad days with crohns disease already.  I sometimes can't even believe this is what I have to think about now, it was so much easier to take the pill and my problems would dissapear for the night!  I know, I know, it's reality and I'm going to get off of them.  I do feel positive that I have gotten half way so far.  This site is a life saver, literally.

see if you can get pills instead of capsules - it is hard to split capsules.

ok i have gone from 2 mg ativan down to .25.

i started on 4 mg ativan many yrs ago but got down to 2. mg  w/o much trouble.

i am doing ok on .25 mg and will split again in dec..

so yes there is life after drugs - my life has greatly improved from were it was - caveats - not always easily but much easier using this forum - this forum is very very very very helpful.

i wish you well.

Hi

Well no sweat if you only have a 5mil dropper doesnt matter, if you want to say remove 10 just remove 5 twice, most measuring cups have a 100 mil mark on them.

TC

Bobers

Hi Jenn,

The truth is that because of one or two comments on the forum and a PM from from one of the team, we need to look more into splitting capsules. I'm unsure of how the benzo powder is distributed within a capsule. It appears that some, at least, use an electrostatic charge to coat the minute amounts of benzo powder to the inside of the capsule, so there is nothing to grind up. I'm unsure if these capsules are hollow, or if there is filler two. If there is filler, then there is nothing to distinguish between the two types. Or, are all benzo capsules made like this? I don't think so, otherwise we would have had problems reported to us, but maybe the safest way to go is substitution if using benzo capsules. Either substituting for a tablet form, or for Valium.

Hi Jenn,

Welcome! To answer your question, I'm actually not having too hard a time at the moment. Yet!  Did have some bad periods of anxiety, paranoia and crying spells. I'm about halfway done, haven't been on terribly long though.(see my sig line below) My sleep is actually improving. I'm not titrating, I'm dry cutting, so you may have a better time of it, since you can make smaller cuts using titration.

Good luck! :)

Linda

Temazepam is available as 10 & 20mg tablets in other parts of the world. Substituting for Valium is still an option if you can obtain Valium. I'll have to get back to you about the capsules - I know your pharmacist did not recommend splitting the capsules. I also understand that your doctor is unwilling to prescrive Valium.

If all else fails - and I am reluctant to suggest this - you could ask your doctor about a Clonazepam substitution. There is huge resistance to Valium by doctors in States, but they seem more relaxed about prescribing Clonazepam.

Clonazepam is not, in my opinion (and many others), the drug of choice for benzodiazepine substitution, but is used in benzodiazepine substitution quite a lot. It does have a reasonably long half-life, but the tablets are small and potent. The smallest dose (0.5mg) would equate to about 20mg of Clonazepam, according to Ashton's equivalency tables. So, half-a-tablet of Clonazepam would be equal to 10mg of Temazepam. I could work out a titration table that would take care of this small jump in your dose by using the half tablet of Clonazepam, but you might benefit from the slight increase in dose. I say this because Clonazepam has a significantly longer half-life than Temazepam, so the Temazepam will leave your system quicker than it will take for the Clonazepam to build-up. Since you will not be able to gradually reduce one med whilst increasing the other, this might be the better way to go. Once you have stabilised, you would then titrate your Clonazepam tablet.

Comments?

Hi

This might be stupid ,but will the capsules eventually dissolve in Milk? also to preserve the milk solution I added 2or 3 mils of vodka, will that dissolve a capsule?

TC

Bobers

Hi

This might be stupid ,but will the capsules eventually dissolve in Milk? also to preserve the milk solution I added 2or 3 mils of vodka, will that dissolve a capsule?

TC

Bobers

I don't know. I suspect, though, that it is stomach acid that does most of the dissolving.

[79...]

That's kind of odd that Jenn's pharmacist recommended against splitting the temazepam capsules. I live in the states, too, and both my pharmacist and my primary care doctor recommended splitting the capsules to gradually reduce the dose. Just goes to show you, there does not seem to be any kind of consensus in the medical world on how to deal with benzo withdrawal.

Kristin

no doctors are used to prescribing meds - not getting people off of meds - and most pharmacist i see are why too rude and busy to even talk to customers.

That's kind of odd that Jenn's pharmacist recommended against splitting the temazepam capsules. I live in the states, too, and both my pharmacist and my primary care doctor recommended splitting the capsules to gradually reduce the dose. Just goes to show you, there does not seem to be any kind of consensus in the medical world on how to deal with benzo withdrawal.

Kristin

no doctors are used to prescribing meds - not getting people off of meds - and most pharmacist i see are way too rude and busy to even talk to customers.

Amen!

These credentialled providers have never been in our shoes.

We are on our own.

[68...]
Ten!  I can't believe you were taking 12mgs of clonazepam per day!  I was up to 4mgs per day a few years back and I got to a point where my mouth started to burn after taking a pill.  You write in sort of a buoyant manner... either you are still loaded to the gills on the 6mgs or you are starting to spin out!  Just wondering how the ramping down feels today.  I know that clonazepam is very nasty from my experience.  You are saturated with it... hopefully when it starts to ooze out of your system from a deeper level, you will still be feeling good!  :thumbsup:

Well my doctor last week gave me a small amount of valium, no way will she switch over to Chlomazepam or whatever it is.  I'm sticking with my 7.5 of restoril, hopefully she will oblige and give me a 30 day prescprition so I can taper off gradually over the next month and a half.  It seems my only option at this point.  I have no idea if she will even agree to another month at today's appointment.  I can only hope for the best.  I'll let you know what she says in a few hours.  I am anxious at just the thought of explaining all of this to her, she is just a primary doctor after all.

Hi Jenn,

Are you sure that your doctor will not prescribe Clonazepam? In the States, doctors are very reluctant to prescribe Valium - many refuse outright! However, they tend to be far more relaxed about prescribing Clonazepam. They are mistaken in their belief that Valium is worse that other benzos and Clonazepam being relatively safe. But, this is the prevailing attitude, so most people find their doctors are willing to prescribe Clonazepam. We are not talking about an additional benzo, we are talking about substitution of one benzo for another that will allow you to make small cuts to your dose (so long as you use titration). Actually, once on Clonazepam, you could ask about Clonazepam wafers (they come in 0.25mg & 0.125mg doses, but you cannot split them, as their dose is guaranteed to to distributed evenly throughout the wafer). However, since the 0.125mg wafer is equivalent to a quarter of a 0.5mg tablet (these tablets come with quarter-score marks), there maybe little advantage.

I understand what you are saying Colin. I just have to keep this plan as simple as possible so that my doctor understands.  They don't even understand what tapering means.  I am also switching health care plans to Kaiser in January so I KNOW they won't give me hipnotics, so I have a limited time to get off this and stay off of it.  I can't afford my company sponsored health care anymore and am making the switch for the new year, saying goodbye to all my doctors I have now. So wish me luck! I really hope she at leasts understands and gives me a month supply of smaller capsules (no tablets available) so I can titrate off.

Well, perhaps if you explained that the Clonazepam wafers are designed to allow people to make a gradual withdrawal, he might be more inclined to help. You are only seeking a very 'moderate' dose of Clonazepam too!

Does you doctor understand that you want off benzos and is OK with that, or is one of those that insists that his patients do exactly what he says, even when possible downsides of ignoring his advice are minimal (no one dies from not taking benzos for anxiety or insomnia, after all).

Ten,

How about getting hold of some 0.5mg tablets. These 2mg drops in dosage are going to kick in backside at some stage!

We have pill-splitters, over here too, Colin. But I'm glad you bring that up--the foreboding of imminent nasty w/d's.

Ampersand writes, "I know that clonazepam is very nasty from my experience. You are saturated with it..."

Thanks guys. It really "helps"! ::)

Peter Breggin would be right at home here.

I think sometimes the frightening, horrifying possibilities (I point you to the van der Kroef, C. Lancet Journal quote on our homepage) unintentionally scare the snot of people, and I believe a distinct disclaimer should follow these kinds of terrifying quotes that a statistically small portion of people prescribed benzodiazepines ever suffer so terribly.

I have daily e-mail contact right now with one member who came to me because she and her doctor together reached a conclusion that reading these boards were exacerbating a problem which, in reality, was very minor.

I personally am convinced this holds true for many other visitors, and it's a shame because not all patients are aware enough to AVOID Internet sites which may exacerbate symptoms they are already having.

Jenn4, MAN do I like your approach. Keep it simple as possible, get the hell off the stuff, don't obsess.

In closing:

I think it is an achievement worthy of celebration to get completely clean. I do not think it a sin to be on managed doses for life, of any drug, which one finds beneficial.

We have pill-splitters, over here too, Colin. But I'm glad you bring that up--the foreboding of imminent nasty w/d's.

Of course, but a quarter of a 2mg tablet is 0.5mg, whilst a quarter of 0.5mg tablet is just 0.125mg. ;)

I think sometimes the frightening, horrifying possibilities (I point you to the van der Kroef, C. Lancet Journal quote on our homepage) unintentionally scare the snot of people, and I believe a distinct disclaimer should follow these kinds of terrifying quotes that a statistically small portion of people prescribed benzodiazepines ever suffer so terribly.

The quote is there because it describes a lot of possible side-effects. Perhaps I should relocate it though. :-\

I have daily e-mail contact right now with one member who came to me because she and her doctor together reached a conclusion that reading these boards were exacerbating a problem which, in reality, was very minor.

Yes, this is bound to happen to some degree, but what can we do? It's not as though we are a scaremongering-type website. At the same time, we can't avoid the issues and possible problems associated with benzos.

I personally am convinced this holds true for many other visitors, and it's a shame because not all patients are aware enough to AVOID Internet sites which may exacerbate symptoms they are already having.

My view is that if someone is not experiencing problems, they are unlikely to search us out, but a few will. Most come to us trying to find answers to their problems. Personally, I knew, because of previous withdrawals due to tolerance issues, that benzo withdrawal is dreadful and can cause all sorts of dreadful symptoms. My final withdrawal lasted six months instead of my usual six weeks (I'd make these rapid withdrawals because of tolerance problems), and yet I still felt dreadfully ill. Only after about four or five months of feeling like this did I start making some searches on the Net. I think few people would look before they experience problems, because the vast majority of us don't know there is a problem until we try quitting for the first time.

Jenn4, MAN do I like your approach. Keep it simple as possible, get the hell off the stuff, don't obsess.

It depends what you mean. If you mean just taper like crazy, no matter how you feel: we've seen too many people have a really tough time by doing this. On the other hand, if you mean don't draw out a taper for longer than necessary: I agree. It is up to the individual though, so I would encourage them to go on, but not badger them.

In closing:

I think it is an achievement worthy of celebration to get completely clean. I do not think it a sin to be on managed doses for life, of any drug, which one finds beneficial.

I agree. There is nothing evangelical about BenzoBuddies. We are here to help those that wish to quit or are thinking of quitting. I think it unethical for people to be forced off benzos, as withdrawal can be very difficult and frightening for some.

Edit. Ooops :-[

i think it is great some people have no problems - i was not one of them.

doctors many - do not understand what is involved in getting people off benzo's and they end up loading lots of other pills and diagnosis on them.

i am getting off as fast as i can - but i am in a position were i do not have to lose my mind in the process - my heart goes out to those who are unable to taper at a rate that does not turn their lives up side down.