Valerian root and Rhodiola to help cope with withdraws?

[Py...]

First off I've heard that valerian slows the recovery process down but i would like to know by how much and is there any success stories with people who took valerian from time to time. I usually take it about twice a week.

I was also thinking about taking Rhodiola to help me has anyone ever took this ?  Let me know Thanks!!!

Valerian acts on GABA  A recptors so is unlikely to be helpful in allowing the receptors to regain their sensitivity. Individual effects vary wildly so no-one can tell you how long it would set you back.

Adding back another GABA agonist like valerian, when you are completely bz free may well confuse the receptors whereas using it at the end of a taper may be less of a problem.

The prevailing wisdom is that receptors will recover best if left alone. Theanine would be a safer choice as although it has a modulatory effect on GABA, it does not appear to act directly on receptors.

There is some limited evidence that rhodiola can help with mental fatigue. It is not known to have any safety concerns & has no known interaction with GABA.

Best wishes.

First off I've heard that valerian slows the recovery process down but i would like to know by how much and is there any success stories with people who took valerian from time to time. I usually take it about twice a week.

I was also thinking about taking Rhodiola to help me has anyone ever took this ?  Let me know Thanks!!!

I took Rhodiola years ago (pre-benzo), but didn't really notice any difference.  Also, I would echo the point that was made about being careful with Valerian.  Personally, I wouldn't want to take it.

Here's an article on it, by the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_root

Sincerely,

fg