Temazepam Taper, So Confused

[Je...]

After reading the posts and the Ashton way, I am so confused.  I am 38 was put on 15 mgs of Temazepam for steriod withdrawal (have crohn's disease) and wasnt' sleeping.  The insurance company would not approve a sleeping pill so this was what I got.  I have told both my primary and my gastro i want off this pill, I think I am addicted.  I take one 15 mg per night.  They say oh it's fine, even if you are addicted.  Nice. I tell them I want help, nothing.  They tell me to take one one day, skip the next, etc, to taper.  Skipping a day is HORRIBLE. They finally prescribe a 7.5 Restoril, same thing, only more money, lower dose.  I take one, felt like crap the next day.  I read the Ashton thing, I got 15 pills of Valium at only 5 mgs, so I don't know what to do with them or even how to start the taper.  They are capsules.  Can't i open them up, take a tiny bit out and start to taper that way? Like start with the 15 mgs pills, take a bit away and taper?  I only take the pill once per day, why can't I continue doing that? Please HELP.

[d9...]

Hi Jen:

I am no expert --  just another "buddy" who has found help on this blog. You didn't mention how long you have been on temazepam -- that would be helpful to know.

I was taking 30 mg. temazepam (powdered medication inside a capsule) for 6 weeks. I thought I was addicted too, because when I stopped them, I felt horrible. I first tried titrating the powdered medication with milk and reducing my dose that way but I felt even worse. I don't think the powdered medication is supposed to be taken outside the capsule.

After that awful experience, I decided to quit the 30 mg. temazepam altogether and switch over to 10 mg. diazepam (in tablet form). This was different than what Ashton recommends but it worked for me. I am now down to 5 mg. diazepam and sleeping better and feeling better during the day.

Honestly, I think temazepam is poison and it is difficult to distinguish between the side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I will never take that stuff again.

Regarding your particular situation, I think Colin or one of the moderators on this blog can suggest a reasonable tapering plan for you.

Good luck.

Kristin

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

As Kristin suggested, it would be useful to know for how long you have been taking Temazepam. According to Ashton's figures, 15mg Temazepam is equivalent to about 7.5mg of Valium.

Is the Restoril in tablet forum? Either way, it will be better to take the Restoril for a short while (at the same dose as the Temazepam - 15mg per day, according to your post). This will allow you you to adjust to any difference that might exist in actual dosage between the generic Temazepam and brand Restoril (actual dosage can vary between manufacturers). You should then switch out as small a part of your dose as possible for an equivalent dose of Valium. If the Restoril is in capsules  form too, you will probably find it difficult to split them, so you will have to switch one whole capsule (7.5mg) Restoril for 3.75mg Valium (three-quarters of a 5mg tablet). I'd recommend that you stick at this dose of of 7.5mg Restoril and 3.75mg Valium for at least two weeks before switching your second tablet - this will allow you time to adjust. Once you have switched out your second tablet, again stick at this dose for a couple of weeks, or longer, if you feel you have still not adjusted. At this stage we can then discuss your taper. It seems a little premature to do that now, but it is pretty straightforward.

If your Restoril comes in tablet form, then this will allow you to make smaller cuts, and you can split the pills in half - or even better, quarters. This doesn't have to mean a very drawn out period for the switch to Valium, as the smaller the amount you switch, the less time you are likely to need to adjust before making another switch. There is a complication though - your 5mg Valium tablets don't easily divide into amounts that are equivalent to half of a 7.5mg Temazepam tablet. Half of a 7.5mg Restoril tablet is equivalent to about three-eighths of a 5mg Valium tablet. It is unlikely that you will be able to split the Valium tablets into eighths, so you have to compromise. I've been thinking about what you could do, and to me, the most straightforward way would be to exchange half of the 7.5mg Restoril tablet for half of the 5mg Valium tablet (2.5mg). This is a slight increase of your overall benzo dose, but in reality it takes time for the Valium to build up in blood stream (whereas your blood levels of Restoril will drop quite quickly), so it should equal out to some extent. Once you feel OK with the switch (perhaps a week), then switch the second half of the Restoril pill for just a quarter of a 5mg Valium tablet (1.25mg). Again, allow about a week (or longer, if needed) for you to adjust to the switch. These two switches will add up to a reduction of 7.5mg Restoril (one 7.5mg tablet) and and uptake of a 3.75mg Valium (three-quarters of a 5mg Tablet). You will ten go through the same process with your second Restoril pill. By the end of the switchover, you should be taking 7.5mg Valium (one-and-a-half 5mg tablets) per day.

I also strongly suggest that you obtain 2mg tablets of Valium, as they will allow you to make smaller cuts after you have completed the switch. I don't think that there is much point in obtaining 2mg tablets of Valium for the purposes of the switch, as these tablets don't divide into anything that is convenient for the substitution either. Although splitting the Restoril tables may seem a bit complicated, I do think it is preferable to switching a whole tablet at a time.

As I wrote earlier, we can discuss the taper after you have finished switching. You are going to need far more then the fifteen tablets of 5mg Valium (you will need a months supply, maybe more), and don't forget the prescription for the 2mg Valium tablets.

Take care, and good luck.

Well it's been 6 months now that I am on Temazepam 15mgs.  I already switched to the 7 mgs of Restoril and put one capsule's ingredients in milk, like Carol had suggested.  I took 3 teaspoons of it and today I feel fine.  Saturday I was a little sick and tired, but I have diarrhea that I got from taking antibiotics which didn't help the way I felt on Saturday, but Sunday and today I feel fine. I hope it's safe to take the mixture of restoril out of the capsule like that. I sure was scared but I don't have tablets? I also can only get 15 day supply of Valium, 5mgs.  That's it, doctor doesn't understand the tapering to Valium, so I have no way of getting it.  I'm thinking after this week, I should JUST TAKE one capsule of the 7 mg restoril and see how I feel?  I plan on tapering once per week down a little bit.  If I take a small amount of valium, I don't know how much or how to cut the pill and my pharmacist told me not to MIX with temazepam?

Hi,

Can you explain your taper plan in more detail. Do you drink 3 teaspoons, or dispose of three teaspoons and drink the remainder? What volume of liquid do you use (how many teaspoons in total).

If I understand you correctly, you intend to reduce your total dose by a quarter in the space of a week - is that correct? That is much faster than most of members can manage. There is a good chance of you feeling very ill from tapering that quickly. We usually suggest that people cut about 10% of their dose every 1-2 weeks (at first, at least) to test the water. 10% every 1-2 weeks is not especially slow, just about average!

I basically am not sure, I followed Carol's directions on this site.  I mixed a 1/4 cup of milk in with my 7.5 mg of restoril tablet. Mixed it up, took one Restoril 7.5 (remember just last week I was taking 15 mgs per night temazepam generic), and I'll take 3 teaspoons of the milk mixture and there is a LOT left so I know I am getting just a little of the 7.5 mixed up tablet and I feel good the next day.  So I figured in another week, I could take 2 teaspons instead, till I am down to just the pill of 7.5mgs.  After that, it's going to get tricky, I don't know any other way to measure the amount, other than teaspoons.  I discard the rest of the milk solution. Is there something I can purchase to do measuring?  Remember these are capsules, I have no tablets.

Hi

Theres  a more precise way but I used a measuring cup lined in mils then bought a baby dropper at the pharmacy that was graduated in 1 mil for a total of 10 mils. that way I could pick any whole number say a 100 mils in the measuring cup then use the dropper to remove 10 mils then i knew I was reducing by 10%.

TC

Bobers

Jenn,

I used 1 oz vanilla bottle which = 6 teaspoons.

7.5 mg Temazepam divided by 6 = 1.25 mg.

Every teaspoon you take equals 1.25 mg

Empty capsule into bottle

Fill with half and half.

Shake well.

IMPORTANT...be sure to spread your doses evenly throughout the day.

You do not want interdose withdrawal.

Keep refrigerated.

You can do this and you will make it I promise. :thumbsup:

Carole

• 3 weeks later...