Has Anyone Tried Titrating Temzepam Capsules?

[06...]

[06...]

Hi All:

I have been taking 30 mg. temazepam in capsule form (powdered medication inside) for about 6 weeks and wanted to taper off using the titration method. I thought the capsule would lend itself perfectly to this method because the medication inside the capsule is powdered. Colin developed a two month titration schedule, I spoke to a pharmacist about it, and started a couple of days ago.

On day 1, I titrated 1 capsule in 95 ml. water and last night, I titrated one capsule in 90 ml. milk.

I started feeling lousy yesterday and am feeling perfectly horrible today -- nausea, fatigue, depression. I am wondering if maybe the capsule form of temazepam is really not intended to be taken without the protective capsule. I am thinking I will try and switch to temazepam tablets since many of you seem to have success with that.

So, if anyone out there has had a similar experience with titrating temazepam capsules, I would appreciate hearing about your experience.

Thanks!

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

As I warned you, this taper is very fast, but worth a shot since you have been on benzos for a relatively short amount of time.

I am confused though. You reported that you were taking less than two tablets, so I worked out schedule that took into account that you are not starting from two tablets. If memory serves, it was 74ml from the 100ml as you first dose. Are you figures, above, correct? If so, you have increased your dose, not cut it! ???

[06...]

Hi Colin:

You are right -- I was taking less than 2 capsules but then I bounced back up after a bad night or two so I started with you original 3 month tapering plan, not the 2 month.

I don't think I can continue with this if I am going to feel this bad. And, unfortunately, I can't get temazepam tablets through my pharmacy which would make it easier to direct taper.

I am open to suggestions.

Kristin

What's the powder like in the capsules? If it is not VERY fine, then grind it down with a pestle and mortar. Are you using homogenised full-fat milk? The powder must be very fine; the powder tends to cling to the evenly distributed fat in homogenised milk. You can use water, but you must ensure that the liquid is 'whizzed up' with a small electric hand blender before you make the reduction to ensure even distribution of the benzo powder.

[06...]

HI Colin:

The powder inside the capsules is very fine and seems to suspend very well in liquid. I am wondering though if there is something else in the powder causing me to feel ill since the powder is  not formulated to take outside the capsule.

Kristin

I thought your pharmacist told you it was OK to take the powder from the capsule? It is precautionary to ask the pharmacist, but I would be surprised if there was a problem.

Do you still have the three months schedule, because I think I wrote over it with the two month schedule, so don't have the figures to hand.

It is very later here, so I will have to come back to this tomorrow. If you are having doubts, simply switch back to the capsules, and we'll go through this again. Perhaps we should try out a schedule based on a slower taper rate, and see how that goes. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

[06...]

Thanks, Colin. I did ask the pharmacist and she said it was OK but all I know is how I feel and that's pretty lousy! I also wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that I took 3.75 mg. Restoril about 4:30 this morning because I could not sleep and had taken all the benzo liquid. It doesn't make a lot of sense but I seem to have a reaction to the brand medication vs. the generic. I also had some wine last night which is probably a no no.

Kristin

Hi,

It does sound very likely that the cause is something other than the titration. We live and learn. I'd strongly advise against any intake of alcohol until you have tapered off and have fully recovered.

[06...]

Yes, good advice.

I feel like my GI tract is a little irritated -- perhaps by the temazepam powder and then further irritated by the alcohol.

Kristin

[06...]

Colin:

I think I want to try a substitution taper. Is the Ashton method for tapering off 30 mg. temazepam pretty widely accepted?

Thanks.

Kristin

Substitution with Valium is suitable for all benzodiazepines. I should warn you though, it is not always easy to find a doctor that's willing to prescribe Valium, especially in the States. Some doctors are under the misguided notion that Valium is worse that other benzos - they are wrong!

[06...]

Fortunately, my doctor does prescribe valium. So is the Asthon method for substituting valium for temazepam the best way to go on this method?

Thanks!

Kristin

Hi,

If you feel comfortable with it, then go for it. Ashton gained good results using her protocol, and many of our members have made successful withdrawal after switching to Valium.