How should I Taper off Lorazepam ( Ativan )

[Jo...]

Hi  i was taking 1mg of lorazepam than 2mg of lorazepam than 3mg of lorazepam than went back down to 1mg a day. I have been taking Lorazepam for 5 months. My mind and body require it but I no longer want to take it. I tried skipping a day than 2 days than 3 days than i went 5 days without lorazepam i thought i was going krazy and couldn't understand y i felt so bad. After doing some research i realized i had almost all of the symptoms of withdrawal.  If my doctors don't want to help me taper off Lorazepam  and i have 22 1mg pills of lorazepam and 120 .5 of clonazepam can anyone suggest how i should structure my taper? I can go 5 days without taking it but i don't want to have a seizure or go krazy plus i feel so bad that i cant even stand up or keep my eyes open or think about anything. I want to quit but not cold turkey please set me up with a taper plan. Thanks 4 everything Thanks 2 every1 i wish u all tha best of luck              The last 3 days i have takin 1mg a day

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Jo...]

• [Co...]

• [Sh...]

• [el...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

How do you feel with 1mg of Lorazepam per day? Are you taking any Clonazepam at the moment? What is your doctor prescribing? Will you be able to obtain further prescriptons, and for which benzo and at what dose?

I'm sure I can help you devise some kind of schedule, but it is really helpful not to be hemmed in by a set amount of tablets. You might have enough tablets to get you through, but it will probably come down to hoe much you need to take per day to stabilise before you start your taper.

hi thanks  i dont want to take anything but i felt so bad so now i take .5 lorazepam in morning .5 at night i feel like myself          i have never tried the clonazepam  my dr wants me 2 take anti depressant and clonazepam but i dont take either i believe i feel so bad because i stopped taking lorazepam  i dont believe ill b able to get more benzos

Joey,

Sounds to me like you need to find another doctor (if your present dr. won't help you taper).  If you haven't started the clonzapam, I wouldn't start now.  If you can get by with .5 mg twice a day, you don't have enough to taper properly (at least I don't believe).  Can you try to find an addictionologist and tell him/her your problem? 

Im going 2 a new dr 2moro and one on sat  here in toronto canada either they dont understand or dont want 2 help i dont wanna have a seizure or go krazy  but when i dont take the lorazepam im not myself and cannot function thanks 4 ur suggestions    but first i should stablize?

I'll see what plan I can devise later tonight, or tomorrow. You really should try to stablise before you start your taper. This means finding a dose where you reasonably OK - you are no going to feel fantastic, so be realistic. The dose should be the minimum to feel reasonable OK. This is even more important because of your limited supply of tablets.

What dose are the tablets?

How do you feel at your presnt dose?

Please supply more information about your benzo history (especially your more recent history - the last few months): how long have you been on benzos, which ones, and how long at each dose?

Joey,

Sounds to me like you need to find another doctor (if your present dr. won't help you taper).  If you haven't started the clonzapam, I wouldn't start now.  If you can get by with .5 mg twice a day, you don't have enough to taper properly (at least I don't believe).  Can you try to find an addictionologist and tell him/her your problem? 

Hi,

Yes, what Summer writes about finding another doctor is probably wise. Doctors should work with you, and not against you. If you cannot find another doctor, for whatever reason, I will try to help put something together.

Thanks so much 4 ur time and concern and help i have 2 try and go 2 work now ill answer all those questions whn i get home 2nite   

hey  ive been taking Lorazepam since May 13 07  after 2 days i was hooked i would take 1mg 2mg 3mg 4mg whateva i felt like  i had no idea about the side effects or withdrawal  i only went 2 tha dr to get a note 4 work because i was always calling in sick due to my anixiety and my fear of being outside  in October i took 1mg everyday for tha first 2 weeks then i would miss 1 day than 2 days than 5 days i can honestly say i almost died after 5 days then i took a 1mg Lorazepam and felt better  ive been in and out of the er so many times  no 1 ever thought about withdrawal  i was having withdrawal all these months in between doses. the last 3 days i took 1mg each day and even 2day i woke up and my head was killing me so were my eyes  i took a .5 put it under my tounge and felt great for the rest of the day even now i feel like myself i feel great      i have only taking Lorazepam  i have 20 1mg pills left. After 3 days on Lorazepam i also purchased 100 2.5 tavor expidet tablets from europe online for $200 because i was afraid drs wouldnt give me more but am afraid 2 take them because im not sure of the quality. Im not addicted i dont want to take Lorazepam but i feel like garbage and can function or think when i dont take them. I also have 120 .5mg pills of clonazepam but have never takin them. Also i used 2 smoke a quarter of marijuana a day for 7 8 years but have quit for 20 days now. I am going 2 a dr 2day to c if he'll help me taper off Lorazepam

so i have 20 1mg pills of Lorazepam

i feel great with even .5 a day if i take it when i wake up

i have only takin Lorazepam

ive been takin it 4 5 1/2 monthes

some days i would take 1mg, 0mg, 2mg, 3mg, 4mg, 0mg everyday was different

Thanks for all ur help Colin i cant thank u enough im so glad this site exsists

shout out to KESTREL thanks for ur time and support we will get through this bro

Joey,

Whatever you like to call it, addicted, dependency, whatever, you are unable to stop your medication without experiencing withdrawal effects. The first thing you need to do, before you start to taper, is find a dose that you can live with, but take the same dose each day.

What is Tavor Expidet? Buying meds online has to be very risky. Not only do risk not taking the dose they purport to be on the bottle, you risk all kinds of contaminants.

Did you doctor prescribe the Clonazepam?

As I wrote before, I will help you put together a sensible taper program, but you need to take control of your dose, and you need a doctor on board so that your are assured of getting your meds. You could tell your doctor that you have joined an online forum that will help you put together a sensible taper plan, and provide you with support you need to get off. A doctor is more likely to support you if show some initiative and demonstrate a determination to take control of your benzo use.

actually i think to stabilize i would need .5mg in morning and .5mg Lorazepam before bed  ive been laying in bed 4 5 hours now cant sleep  the worst feeling      thanks i guna try and sleep and i let u know if the dr i c 2day will help me taper    Thanks again

I went to the dr 2day and he wont help me taper off he just keeps telling me 2 take more  he prescribed clonazepam before    but 2day he gave me 30 1mg Lorazepam  so i now have 50 1mg pills of Lorazepam        Im am going to c another dr on 11/10 and 2nite i will call a phone number provided from my work to try and find another dr who will help me taper                the tavor expidet is a german form of siblingual lorazepam

Joey,

Did you tell this doctor that you wanted to taper off the benzos?  I kind of remember being somewhat where I think you are.  I took xanex for years as necessary.  20 years or more.  Never realized I might even have a problem with it after all those years as I was just taking it as necessary and never used all of my pills.  I guess for some years I probably went a day or two now and then without taking any pills.  However, recently took a trip to Europe.  My husband talks about our time in Barcelona and Cadiz.  I went to Nice.  I went to Morrocco.  I don't remember any of those places.  I don't know one from the other.  I don't remember Rome.  I was taking lots of xanex and I finally realized I don't remember much.  It was when I talked to my mother and father (my father is even an alcoholic) and they remembered more than me (and they're 80) that I realized that I really have a problem.  I want my brain back.  I don't know if it's even possible to have a great memory again, I'll settle for having an 80 year old memory like my parents.  Don't wait until you have really messed up your mind seriously.  I know you say you want to get off of these, but I kind of hear a half hearted attempt.  I hope I'm wrong cause I really want us all to get well. 

If you are seriously wanting help, please spell it out for your doctor.  I know they only give you a few seconds, but you've got to make those few seconds count or find another doctor (just be careful of getting meds from more than one or they might accuse you of doctor shopping and cut you off all together).

Best of luck to you.  :)

i told tha dr i want 2 get off benzos im losing my mind i cant see stand up or think when i skipp days i told him the withdrawal is killing me    he told me its not up 2 me if i want to taper that i should trust him and i must keep taking them and he gave me more         

how do u hear a half hearted attempted???? i dont understand that or appriciate that  please explain

i go 5 days without taking them but krazy thoughts enterd my head and i couldnt think see or stand  i wanna stop taking Lorazepam

i went to a walk in they gave me 30 1 mg pills Lorazepam

i went to another walk in they gave me 10 .5 mg pills Lorazepam

i found a family dr he gave me 30 1mg pills Lorazepam

than    60 1mg pills  Lorazepam

than  60 .5mg      CLONAZEPAM pills  (never tried)

family dr also gave me 7  150mg wellbutrin xl or xr

127 300mg wellbutin  xl or xr  (never tried wellbutrin flushed them im glad i would have had seizures 4sure)

today my family dr  gave me 30 1mg Lorazepam as necassary and told me to take 2 Clonazepam a day

my family dr sent me 2 a skrink and he gave me Citralopram 20mg 30 pills ( but i wont take them either )

if i start getting benzos from some1 else  will they accuse me of dr shopping?  what is that  and who will accuse me? and who will cut me off?  dont scare me like that  or just make sure there is a time delay in between benzos from diff drs?

Thanks 4 thanking the time 2 help me

Dear Joey,

I am so very sorry I indicated that you might not be heartfelt in your attempt to get off these benzos.  I really apologize and can see you are hurting and want to get off.  I don't know what I was thinking when I said that.  I have no excuse (haven't slept in 2 days and now it's the 3rd I can't sleep).  I think I've been a little irritable the past couple of days and I am truly sorry.  I do know you want to get off and can see how easy it is for doctors to not listen to you and just hand you a prescription.  And, I certainly understand that you want off of them and soon, and I do realize that you are aware tapering is the best method to ensure your success.  I am sorry you are having such a bad time getting a doctor to listen to you.

i told tha dr i want 2 get off benzos im losing my mind i cant see stand up or think when i skipp days i told him the withdrawal is killing me    he told me its not up 2 me if i want to taper that i should trust him and i must keep taking them and he gave me more           

how do u hear a half hearted attempted???? i dont understand that or appriciate that  please explain

i go 5 days without taking them but krazy thoughts enterd my head and i couldnt think see or stand  i wanna stop taking Lorazepam

i went to a walk in they gave me 30 1 mg pills Lorazepam

i went to another walk in they gave me 10 .5 mg pills Lorazepam

i found a family dr he gave me 30 1mg pills Lorazepam

than     60 1mg pills  Lorazepam

than   60 .5mg      CLONAZEPAM pills  (never tried)

family dr also gave me 7   150mg wellbutrin xl or xr

127 300mg wellbutin  xl or xr  (never tried wellbutrin flushed them im glad i would have had seizures 4sure)

today my family dr  gave me 30 1mg Lorazepam as necassary and told me to take 2 Clonazepam a day

my family dr sent me 2 a skrink and he gave me Citralopram 20mg 30 pills ( but i wont take them either )

if i start getting benzos from some1 else  will they accuse me of dr shopping?  what is that  and who will accuse me? and who will cut me off?   dont scare me like that  or just make sure there is a time delay in between benzos from diff drs?

Thanks 4 thanking the time 2 help me

I didn't mean to scare you about doctor shopping.  I didn't check what country you are in.  However, if you are in the US, and you go to different doctors and get benzo prescriptions filled by them, they have a method of finding out in some (if not all) states.  I don't know for sure, but heard it was a felony.  However, if you are getting these prescriptions with the intent of getting tapered off of your ativan and are not filling all the prescriptions you get from different doctors in less than a month of your last script, I don't think you need to worry.  I can see where you might want to fill the ativan ones to make sure you have enough to taper from.  I think if you were accused of dr. shopping, you could explain this. 

Seems like you must get your point across to 1 doctor about how you are planning on tapering or at least getting a suggestion from a doctor of how you can manage a slow withdrawal schedule.  It might serve you best if you ask the doctor his opinion on how you can slowly manage this.  At the same time, you might want to have the Ashton manual with you and ask the doctor what he thinks about this other doctor's method who ran a clinic getting over 300 people off of their benzo.  This could at least show him that her method was slow and worked well and then you could ask him if he thought you should go a little slower or about the same speed.

Best of luck to you Joey.  Again, I didn't mean to accuse you of not wanting to get off of these drugs and I'm sorry for questioning you on that.

summer its all good a little sensitive on my part :-[  no worries we all in this 2getha  :thumbsup:

i live in toronto canada  ive heard of dr shopping but never really gave it a second thought  i thought it only applied if u were stock pilling or selling them on the street

the dr wont even let me talk just tells me 2 take more pills :idiot: 

i wish i neva took that first pill i had no idea i should have just lived wit my anixiety and fear of going outside

i just dont wanna get accused of dr shopping and get cut off cuz id have seizures or go krazy 4 sure

i recieved some liturature from work that says  Employee Assistance Program  confidential professional counselling info and referral service is free 24 7 to all employees and family members  direct access to experts

achieve personal well being

manage relationships and family

address workplace challenges

research child and elder care resources

tackle addictions (alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gambling, other addictions, post recovery support)

get legal clarity

get financial clarity

i think this might b may best bet  i think i will call them within 26 hrs  mayb some hope :yippee:

Joey,

I'm also struggling with anxiety and fear of going outside.  That's why I got on the pills in the first place.  I have a brother-in-law that works as a drug addiction counselor across the country.  I confided in him I was going thru benzo w/d.  He told me that of all the people he sees and the drugs they go off of, everyone is happier and less anxious after getting off the benzos.  That's kind of what Dr. Ashton says in her manual.  If I didn't believe that, I'd have to stay on the pills (even though they hardly work anymore). 

I do know that prior to the pills, I had agoraphobia and panic attacks.  But even after years upon years on the pills, my anxiety and agoraphobia is worse now.  I have hope that it will get better.  The whole process is frustrating cause it takes so much time, but from what I hear, it will be worth it. 

Good luck with the employee assistance program.  :)

Hi,

Doctors need to focus upon the needs of the patient, and respect their wishes. It is very odd that in life or death situations a patient may decide that they would rather die than put up with a particular treatment, and have this wish respected. But when it comes to taking benzos for anxiety (which kills no one), they are expected to do as 'instructed', and put up with all the debilitating side-effects. On top of the this, patients then become addicted to the medication which will stop working within a few months (when benzos are used in the treatment of anxiety), or within WEEKS in the treatment of insomnia.

It is sheer arrogance, nothing else.

Doctors should be giving professional advice, and make every effort to be up-to-date with the advice. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect professionalism and respect.

Hi Joey,

Clonazepam has a considerably longer half-life than then Lorazepam, so on the surface it would seem a better choice. However, Clonazepam does have a reputation of being a difficult benzo to taper off, so I don't think it would be a good idea to switch. Also, switching can be upsetting to your CNS (Central Nervous System) too, so I fail to see any advantage. If your were to make a switch, it should be done gradually, and the benzo-of-choise for sunstitution would be Valium.

To taper off, you should first stabilise at a particular dose. Once you are doing this consistently, and without too many ill-effects, you should aim to makes cuts of no more than about 10% of your total daily dose. As I understand it, you take one 0.5mg tablet in the morning, and another 0.5mg tablet at night. Remove one-quarter of your morning dose (this is 12.5% of daily dose), and maintain you nightly dose of a whole 0.5mg tablet. Stay at this dose for AT LEAST a week. When you feel reasonably recovered from this cut, you will make a similar cut to your nighttime dose; again stay at this dose for a week, or for as you need. You will continue to make similar cuts, stepwise, between your morning and nighttime doses.

If you can manage to split your tablets into eighths, removing one-eighth of a tablet a time (6.25% of your daily dose), so much the better. It might appear that you are lengthening your taper, but making these small cuts should allow you take more frequent cuts than you would manage with cuts of 12.5%. The overall time to withdraw may be no longer, and should cause fewer problems.

One other thing: will you be able to obtain more Lorazepam tablets?

its hard to split the tablets  they are small and chalky  i can only split them in half

i dont know if i will b able to get more Lorazepam

but i will b seeing 2 new doctors by the end of this week    ill keep u updated

well if it was up to my i would sbstitute with Valium but no one will help me  i cant get valium  i will read up about titration because i have no idea what that means Thanks