Advice on Temazepam Taper Welcome!

[0c...]

[0c...]

Hi All:

My name is Kristin and I have taken 5 mg. valium as needed throughout most of my adult life for transient insomnia. I have never felt addicted or suffered any real side effects.

However, in August of this year, I developed some unusual anxiety and severe insomnia which, as it turns out, is related to an endocrine disorder with which I was recently diagnosed.

In the meantime, I started taking the 5 mg. valium nightly for the insomnia for about a month until it stopped working. My doctor then prescribed 30 mg. temazepam to help with the anxiety and insomnia. I stopped the valium cold turkey and started taking the temazepam.

I am being treated now for the endocrine disorder and the anxiety has subsided greatly. Now, however, I have a dependency on this darn temazepam which I have been taking now for almost 6 weeks. I have tried stopping it cold turkey a couple of times but started experiencing nausea and anxiety. Dang, I hate this stuff.

The temazepam comes in 7.5 and 15 m.g. capsules (powdered medication enclosed in a capsule) so it is difficult to cut the proper doses for a direct taper.

Colin has suggested taking the capsules apart (which I can do), measuring out the appropriate amount for a 10% taper, and then refilling the capsule. That way, I can accurately reduce the dosage by 10% every 1 to 2 weeks.

Has anyone tried this with success or do you have any other suggestions? This a great forum and I am grateful to have the support of people who "have been there done that!".

Kristin

I opened my capsules and disolved them in half and half and then measured out teaspoon fulls.  I took a 1 oz vanilla bottle and filled with half and half and emptied

my capsule in it and shook it up.  Each teaspoon = 5mg.  I divided up and took 6 teaspoons spread out through the day and gradually reduced.  I was on 30 mg

Temazepam.  I started my taper Jan 07 and finished July 07.  I had very few

physical symptoms.  Mine were mainly depression and anxiety.

Hopes this helps,

Carol

[0c...]

Hi Carole:

Thanks for the info. I assume when you say "half and half", you mean the milk product?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, were you taking temazepam for anxiety or insomnia or both? Also, were you originally taking it all at once or in divided doses throughout the day? I am curious as to why you took your tapering dose throughout the day and wondering if it made you really sleepy during the day. I really only take it now to help me sleep.

Congrats on successfully tapering! How are you feeling now?

Kristin

I was taking Temazepam for sleeping and had been taking for over 5 years.

I took 30 mg at night.  I developed tolerance and was waking each morning with a

zap and had anxiety and depression develop.  In order to get stable I started

dividing my dose.  Because Temazepam has a short half life, you go into withdrawal

in between doses, so I spread my doses out to help with that.  Yes use fatty milk

like half and half or whole milk as the benzos adhere to the fat particles.

You can withdraw too. I know you can do it and be successful :thumbsup:

Carole