What other drugs do we have to taper from?

[Su...]

This section isn't getting much use and I know I'm not the only one who has tapering to do after I finish my benzo taper.

This is a great site for withdrawing from benzos, but I know there are more out there who are going to need support even after they are finished withdrawing from their benzo.  Can we use this section to support one another?  I've looked around on the net and can't find a better support system than this one.

When I'm done with my valium, I have to taper from percocet, trazadone and probably Rozerem (I'm using it to sleep and Abe Lincoln and the beaver say it's non habit forming, but I don't believe them - do you?).  What do others need help tapering off of?  How about we help each other?

Hi Summer,

I see no problem with this section being used in this way - it is largely why it is here. I wouldn't promote here for those withdrawing only from meds other than benzos, but I wouldn't turn people away either. BBo is meant for those who would like to withdraw, are withdrawing from, or have withdrawn from benzodiazepines, but they are free to discuss all their medical problems and needs.

There are quite a lot of members who take meds other than benzos and would like to withdraw from them after they have finished their benzo withdrawal. Maybe I should be a little tougher with moving threads and posts to the appropriate sections, as other meds are discussed quite a lot outside of this board.

Colin,

I couldn't find any site as supportive as this one.  I don't think anyone who has never used benzos would go to this site anyway, and think it could be used by former benzo users to get off their current psych medication.

I am so disgusted by psych medications.  I really wonder if half of all people diagnosed with bipolar disorder actually have the disorder or whether it was caused by one of their psych meds.  I know if I even mention any problem such as feeling sad, immediately a doctor will want to give me an antidepressant.  Going on the antidepressant can make you very depressed.  So many psychiatrists seem to just do med management or drug pushing - they refer you to therapists for mental problems.  I don't know if it's just how they are trained or what?  Maybe people expect them to give them scripts and they don't get patients if they don't.  I don't know.  Just know that I think most people who have been given benzos have either been put on other meds or been offered them.

Thanks for putting in this section.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest there is both over diagnosis of mental illness and over prescription of psychoactive (and all) medicines.

Is Sicko already out at the cinema in the States? It's coming out soon here (maybe it already has come out). The UK health system is flawed, but at least it doesn't as strong financial incentives driving unethical prescribing.

Yes, Sicko is out here.  I talked to someone who saw it and said it was very good and eye-opening.  It isn't in a theatre near me, but I want to see it when I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Summer and Colin,

I just  now noticed this forum for the first time, or I'd have been here a long time ago! Though it doesn't look like it gets much action :laugh:

But I am tapering from seroquel, and down the road I will w/d wellbutrin.

• 1 month later...
I did taper off all the other ones(to the lowest dose), before I stopped, I wasn't even thinking of going completely off, when i started tapering, I just did it, because it was causing dry mouth really bad, and I wanna keep my teeth. So I started to cut down on them, a yr before stopping them.

I went off of imiprinine (for depression), zyprexa (for my stuttering), prozac (pms), and clonazepam, all at once. so far doing well  :thumbsup:

Wow, that's incredible. Very rare to do that successfully. Most people couldn't do that with even one of those drugs without some serious problems. Just make sure you don't ever go back on them as it may be much harder the second time around. Don't let this make you think you can always do it again, lol! ;)

I did taper off all the other ones(to the lowest dose), before I stopped, I wasn't even thinking of going completely off, when i started tapering, I just did it, because it was causing dry mouth really bad, and I wanna keep my teeth. So I started to cut down on them, a yr before stopping them.

Oh, ok, I didn't see this post yet when I posted. Well, that's a little more do-able then! But to ct klono after being on that amount for that time period is dangerous, and usually NOT do-able! You're lucky, and I'm glad you are ok so far.

I went off of imiprinine (for depression), zyprexa (for my stuttering), prozac (pms), and clonazepam, all at once. so far doing well  :thumbsup:

Wow, that's incredible. Very rare to do that successfully. Most people couldn't do that with even one of those drugs without some serious problems. Just make sure you don't ever go back on them as it may be much harder the second time around. Don't let this make you think you can always do it again, lol! ;)

I'm Never going to go back on any of them, it caused me to be to much of a zombie, and I'm still very young, so I want to have energry, and not a zombie.

I have someone in my life, that takes VERY GOOD CARE of me, and when I'm down reminds me not to look down.  And when I start to worry, he reminds me to just not worry and just live life one day at a time.

Oh, ok, I didn't see this post yet when I posted. Well, that's a little more do-able then! But to ct klono after being on that amount for that time period is dangerous, and usually NOT do-able! You're lucky, and I'm glad you are ok so far.

I believe 100% I'll do well, as I made it past the worst part.  I'm starting to be able to think again, like I did before benzo's and all, I'm not quite there, but I'm starting too, I'm starting to have more complete thoughts, and understanding things much better.

i am impressed that i can start the laundry - put the soap in and start a load - IN ONE TRIP - that is awesome.

Thats kewl. LOL, I just now put a load of laundry in.

sicko has been out for some time - it exposed the heartlessness of our system but has not gotten into the corruption of the drug companies or the lack of adequate training for the doctors.

there has been a massive move on foot to dumb down the american people since the 60's on every level - that is why we are no longer competitive and if many people were to read the bill of rights or constitution they would say it is too radical never realizing it was the constitution.

sicko has been out for some time - it exposed the heartlessness of our system but has not gotten into the corruption of the drug companies or the lack of adequate training for the doctors.

there has been a massive move on foot to dumb down the american people since the 60's on every level - that is why we are no longer competitive and if many people were to read the bill of rights or constitution they would say it is too radical never realizing it was the constitution.

In a way that doesn't' surprise me, for some reason.

Today more than ever, our health system is corrupted, Thanks to George W. Bush!

Any one heard of what happen to Glenn Beck?

i saw his show talking about his hospital experience - he wanted people to e-mail experiences they have had with drugs etc. - i thought about it but i didn't

our health care system, educational system, worker protections have been on the slide for a long time - bush has just made it very apparent.

What happened to him? I'm definitely a fan of his, but I did hear him mention his alcoholism and it kind of impressed me with his honesty.

What happened to him? I'm definitely a fan of his, but I did hear him mention his alcoholism and it kind of impressed me with his honesty.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/3502/

He had a major health scare after a siimple out patiant operation, and the people in the ER, didn't have any compasion for him, or want to help him.

i saw his er expereince on one of the sites posted - i have to say it was bad - but so much better then most people are treated in the ER.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/3502/

He had a major health scare after a siimple out patiant operation, and the people in the ER, didn't have any compasion for him, or want to help him.

Thanks OP

Np, I remember reading it, and I would say thats the way it is pretty much in the ER, no one cares about you, all the doctors and nurses care about is themselves, and when they get to eat it seems.

I remember when I went to an ER/first care for severe nausea, that I had for the 2 months (due to the w/d) and they are some of the most uncaring people I ever saw.

I started to get a few hives, and it took them like 30-45 min. before I got 2 tablets of benadryl (OTC strength), which ended up costing like $20 on my bill, and I had to ask them, for it, right before I left from there.

i have many a horror story in er's and hospitals and at least as many in the doctors office.

this is why i am such a big proponent of alternative medicines  - i would of died many times over if left to the care of doctors.

however - i still go to a doctor first and 2nd and third - if for no other reason to get a grasp on what is happening.

i would never advice someone not to go to a doctor or ER - however - my hear would go out to them.

i have many a horror story in er's and hospitals and at least as many in the doctors office.

this is why i am such a big proponent of alternative medicines  - i would of died many times over if left to the care of doctors.

however - i still go to a doctor first and 2nd and third - if for no other reason to get a grasp on what is happening.

i would never advice someone not to go to a doctor or ER - however - my hear would go out to them.

I'm starting to think doctors are now more in it for the money, than the care.

My pediatrician that I had for my childhood, was a GREAT doctor, now since I'm no longer a kid, its near impossible to find one thats not a crook.

i think pharmaceutical companies may be paying for some of there learning drug companies are certainly in on policy decisions - they are constantly peddling their drugs to doctors.

most doctors have lost the art if being a diagnostician and they do not have a good dialog with other doctors when it comes to referrals - they are more likely to see themselves as being stepped on if a patient seeks outside help and they seem too reluctant to assist an patient with referrals or follow up - if they order tests they don't discuss the results and more times then not don't even have the results.

they are now in a class of a bad car mechanic.