Announcement: It is with regret... ×

severe shaking all over body and internal shaking and vibration/nausea

[pe...]

Can anyone tell me how they deal with the severe nausea and stomach pain and also what causes your body to shake severely all over on the outside and inside and on the inside there is a constant vibration everywhere?  Also my muscles are all tightening up and in spasm and I don't feel anxious...it's like my body is doig it's own thing and I can't control it with relaxation or anything....Help!!  Pebbles

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pe...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [Su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I dont know if this is scientifically proven, but I liken all the symptoms your having to adrenelin run amok. Everything your feeling is produced by too much adrenalin. I'm not sure whether GABA has a regulatory function with adrenalin, but I am sure that to much adrenalin can cause your symptoms.

Has anything change in your taper? have you been in a stressful situation. All I can say is these feelings should level out. I felt the same way.

TC

Bobers

Hi Pebbles,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.  I had nausea off and on during my taper.  I tried Chamomile tea, peppermint tea, small meals, etc. to try to cope.  There were times I had to force myself to eat.  I don't know where you are in tapering but it got a lot better for me toward the end of my taper.  My appetite came back with a vengance!

I had a lot of shaking, twitching and internal tremors also.  My husband would wake me up at night because I was shaking and twitching in my sleep so bad at times. 

I agree that adrenalin plays a part.  If something would upset me and I got worked up I would have episodes of sweating, twitching, shaking for hours after.  When I cut my dose of Ativan in half last year and was really bad, I had a lot of internal tremors.  Right above my stomach (not my heart) and it would feel like something was in there vibrating away.  That was before I knew what was wrong with me and it really freaked me out.

Hang in there.  :thumbsup:

Hi,

I replied to your PM.

I had the trembling. I had it for a while after quitting too. I'd sometimes think that I had my phone in my trouser pocket (set to vibrate). I was often diving into my pocket to answer a non-existent call! :crazy:

I've had similar experience with Doctor-induced fast tapers in the past. Here are some things I tried for the symptoms you have with varying degrees of success:

Nausea - Ginger Tea

Colonic spasms - Enteric coated peppermint oil, fiber supplement

Muscle spasms - exercise, exercise and more exercise followed by a long soak in  a whirlpool bath. If a whirlpool bath isn't available, a regular bath with some lavender oil/powder can help.

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I have tried the enteric coated peppermint tablets and they burnt my stomach and I burped them for over 24 hours...I have delayed gastric emptying so i took them after dinner and they sat and dissolved in my stomach and gave me a really bad time.  I am tapering from Klonopin after a c/t....I have been in tolerance to the klonopin since I was put on it...they didn't give me enough to cover the c/t...it should have according to ashton's numbers but it didn't...so the shaking has been bad for the last 5 months...I was put on the klonopin on 5-22 at 1.5...I am now at .0526.  I must say the symptoms have been there all along even at the full dose and I have been very ill this whole time...not working and very sick....the shaking is getting worse.,..it is there no matter what I do and the internal vibrations are bad all the time too...as is the jaw pain...so if I am in tolerance withdrawal (which i am) I don't know what to do or if there is anything to do...I have cut down enough that if the symptoms were going to improve they would have....has anyone else been in severe fullblown tolerance withdrawal and if so, what did you do?  Thanks, Pebbles

I have tried to answer my cell phone too thinking it was the vibrations only to find out it was myselfThat was vibrating.  Listen Pebbles, if you have any kind of esophageal symptoms, peppermint is not good to use.  It basically relaxes the sphincter muscle where the esophagus enters the stomach, thus you can exazerbate reflux.  I have experienced this too.  Peppermint is very good, but not good for anyone who has a tendency toward reflux and especially delayed gastric emptying.  Try some ginger tea, or ginger soda (organic made with real ginger).  Sometimes that helps. 

Another thing...I do not believe there is such a thing as tolerance withdrawal while tapering because one who is experiencing wd is already tolerant (because the benzo receptors have already down regulated).  Now I will stand corrected if I am wrong, but many people become fearful of becoming tolerant and it really is a mute point.  But again....I could be wrong and am open to what ever the mods say.  I have studied this some, too.   You probably just weren't given what would have been an equivalence on your crossover and you are suffering the consequences which will improve slowly.  I am unfamililar with your story, but I thought you were tapering from klonopin and not valium, so am perplexed when you say, "they didn't give you enough to cover the c/t according to Ashton's manual."  Please correct me on this. 

On the positive side, the delayed gastric emptying might improve once you are through withdrawal, so that is something to be hopeful for.  I guess they say the key word here is patience.  this is a process of recovery, no different than any kind of surgery, though admittedly it can take longer.  Time is the issue for you right now...not further cutting.  This is only my opinion, and of course I hate to give advice and have it be wrong.  Colin will know for sure.  You will get through this, that I know.  Just hang in there and call on me when you need some support.    Janus

Thanks...

I appreciate your input....The c/t did a real number on me and the Klonopin dose should have been high enough...( I was put on the equivalent of 30 mg of valium which is more than what I c/t'd from) but the c/t was so bad and horrid and the symptoms were so bad and out of control that the Klonopin didn't touch it and I stayed sick on the full dose of Klonopin before I started to taper...what I have understood is that no amount of benzos would have helped as the withdrawal was so full blown and I didn't get reinstated until 3 or 4 weeks off....I have been told because of that I have been in tolerance and the benzos do not effect me or help....that is why the symptoms have continued being so bad from the get go and there is no stabilization....most people stabilize somewhat to a point...my symptoms are like a c/t now minus the psychosis....it is very bad and I don't know if anyone has been this severe day after day for 5 months 24/7 and came out of this and I still have to taper more Klonopin...Please pray for me....I'm not sure my body can take it...Love, Lori

Okay, now I think I know what you are saying.  You were put on 1.5 mg klon. which would have been equivalent to 30 mg. of valium.  Listen, sweety, this will go but it is going to take a while.  Yes, I have heard of this before.  You might want to look up Alison Kellagher on the internet.  She went through a ct withdrawal and it was horrendous.  After 6 months she started to experience "some windows."  Eventually she became herself again, and went back to school and is now a practicing psychologist treating only benzo patients.  So hang on to that thought.  She herself is a prime example that you can get through this.  She wrote her master's thesis on "intrinsic health."  that means the body has it's own knowledge to heal, and you need to believe this despite all you are going through.  I encourage you to type in her name and read her story.  If you can't find it I'll try to again.  there is hope.  Janus

Colin,

Janus asked about me reinstating over to valium to try and stabilize.  I'm not sure about this....after the c/t from the xanax and ativan....1 mg of ativan for 1 month and .75 xanax for 1 week...I was put on Klonopin 1.5 mg after about 3 or 4 weeks of the c/t...I can't even begin to tell you how bad the c/t was...completely horrid...symptoms kept coming even after 3 and 4 weeks...I eventually became psychotic and suicidal....awful...I still feel as I have nevere recovered from that...anyway they put me on the Klonopin which was the equivalent of 30 mg of valium and I did not stabilize on that dose although it should have been enough and have been so sick from the c/t and alot of ways and sick while onthe Klonopin and trying to reduce...I have been told 2 thngs about this...1 the dose was not high enough of the Klonopin to stop the c/t or it was too late after 3 or 4 weeks had gone by and my body just became tolerant to benzos at any dose...so I don't know what to do now....the symptoms are very, very bad...I took a 5 mg of valium with my Klonopin dose a week ago to see what it woudl do and it had no effect on me what so ever...didn't feel a thing and it didn't help with the symptoms....what do people do when they are in tolerance and have suffered a c/t and been so sick from that and are tolerant on their current benzo that they never stabilized o in the first place...I don't know how much valium it would take as 30 mg's didn't do it in the Klonopin dose i had....Please advise...I had thought I would probably need to keep trying from the Klonopin but things are terrible...has nayone been this bad and made it...??  Pebbles

Hi Pebbles,

Can you give me a short history of benzo use. I have a poor memory, and don't want confuse your details with other's.

Here is my feel for what is going on and take it for what it is worth....I, too, became tolerant on the ativan (for one month) and they kept upping my dose until I got to 4 mg. a day which did absolutely nothing.  That is the equivalent of 40 mg of diazepam.   I was in hell and was literally toxic.  I ran in circles and could hardly hold any meetings.   I finally persuaded my doc to do a valium crossover.  The first few days were miserable to say the least as I did a direct crossover, because the ativan was so nasty.  After a week, I felt like the heavens had poured down manna and I felt human again, somewhat sleepy, but so much better.  Then I stabilized and enjoyed the sleeping and all, and after a few weeks started tapering a small bit at a time.  I don't know if this would be helpful for you or not.  This is a tough question and I think Colin has the knowledge whether to do something like this or not.  I bow my head to his knowledge.  Take care.  Janus

Pebbles-people have had it this bad AND HAVE MADE IT.  Keep the faith.  You will get through this.

Pebbles,

Have you had a physical check up to make sure that all your symptoms are related to the withdrawal and not anything else? 

Also, I think that the withdrawal itself can put the body in a state of shock and cause all sorts of problems to pop up.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

I have several physical health issues that I had prior to benzos...right now I have not had a complete physical other than some blood work and to know that I have delayed gastric emptying and malabsorption and severe stomach problems....Colin...all of my benzo use and drug use is listed on my blog in the first posting or so....it tells it all....could you please check there and let me know what you think...my psyche doc seems to think I do not tolerate these types of meds and there side effects....thanks for reading everything again....also...can you tell me as you have been around awhile...have there been others who were this bad every day and deathly ill and still made it.  Thanks, Pebbles

Hi Pebbles,

I've just read your first post on your blog.

How long were you on Clonazepam? Did you experience any relief whilst taking Clonazepam?

There are potential problems with switching benzos. If you are suffering withdrawal symptoms from one benzo, another might have slightly different effects, which might explain why felt no relier with taking Clonazepam. Also, it seems that some people never become comfortable when they reinstate their benzo, even if it is the same type.

I experienced numbness, and other neurological effects during my six weeks tapers. During my final taper, over six months, the neurological effects were not as severe. They continued to improve after I quit. You too will improve, but I cannot tell you how long it will take.

What are you taking at the moment?

Switching to Valium does seem to make a big difference for some people. However, a few don't do so well. This is why I avoid recommending it. It is probably a good choice for the majority, but it sometimes causes more problems than it solves. Switching is a decision for you to make. It might be the case that you cannot feel any worse than you feel already, so you have nothing to loose, and everything to gain. I cannot make this call though - only you can do that.

Thanks Colin...I made another small dry cut today after holding for 3 weeks...I guess I just have to keep going down no matter how bad it is...i am now at .5 mg of Klonopin and I am not feeling better coming down..........I know it is my decision to make but based on my history and what i have told you what would you do in my shoes...I did not feel much relief at all on the Klonopin...it stopped the psychosis but the other physical, emotional ( I am severely depressed now and sob several times a day), neurological and cognitive symptoms are still there and my gut is a total wreck....have you seen anybody so very, very ill like this (I have about every symptom in the ashton manual and some that aren't there) except the ringing in the ears...for 5 months everyday with no relief or windows and still be able to continue to taper and come off??  i do not work and am homebound and myhusband has to take care of everything...I lay down, pace, on the computer and that's it....I just need to know if anyone has had it this bad and came out the other end or do they damage themselves worse in a situation like this...Thanks, Pebbles

Pebbles,

I was very ill during my withdrawal and for some months afterwards. I couldn't even think straight enough to look up 'benzo withdrawal' on the Net. As I recall, it was about five months after I quit that I made some searches. Quite a lot of our members, or past members, have has some extreme withdrawal effects. You are not unique, and I think all of them (even the worst affected) improved over time. You just have to allow more time.

I would recommend titration to you. so that you can make smaller cuts. Valium is still an option too. Most people do seem to benefit from switching to it.

Colin, what if she switched a third of her dose to Valium? If it's the Klon that's the problem, should taking a third of her dose as Valium make her feel a difference? Maybe she could try that, and then if she doesn't feel any better in a couple of weeks at the one-third Valium, she could go back to Klonopin and not complete the switch? That approach would allow her to test the waters, so to speak.

Therese

Hi,

Yes, that might be a sensible approach. I have wondered if at least some of the reported problems with the switch to Valium is the result of switching too quickly. Quitting even a small part of your short half-life benzo means that you blood levels with drop by that proportion very quickly. At the same time it will take a couple of weeks (or more) for the Valium to build up to a stable level. This wouldn't explain why it appears to be a little more common when people switch from Clonazepam with its medium-long half-life. :-\

Anyway, yes, testing the waters would be sensible.

I assume you meant 'a quarter' of her dose? Pebbles is taking 0.5mg of Clonazepam.

Pebbles, you could, perhaps, take a single dose of the Valium 12 hours before you make your Clonazepam cut. This would give a little boast to start the slow climb in Valium blood levels, and help stave off the drop you feel when you make the first substitution. Remember, it takes some time for the Valium to build up in your system. What do others think of this?

A quarter of her dose is fine. I was just making a guesstimate so as to get the point across that she would just switch part of her dose and not the whole thing, or even half.

I think the reason given for why Klon crossover is rocky is because it binds so tightly to the GABA receptors.

I don't know if Pebbles has a reliable source of Valium, though I know she has some pills on hand. This will be a problem too, unless she can find another doctor.

Therese

I'm not sure how to do this as I just made a very small cut again...it had been 3 weeks...I cut .0625 mg yesterday afternoon and I can tell it this morning....I was planning to put the whole 0.5 mg tab of Klonopin and divide into 3 doses...how can I do this with the valium....I couldn't stand any further withdrawals, stomach pain or depressio on top of what i have....it is severe...Thanks. Pebbles

Hi Pebbles,

What are your thoughts about switching to Valium?

You can use titration to achieve virtually any cut you desire: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/titration-tapers/titration-instructions-version-6th-oct-07/0/

You can switch and titrate the Valium. You can even use titration to make the switch the switch easier (because you can switch smaller amounts of your Cloanazepam at a time).

Because you are struggling so much, I think you should  consider reversing your from yesterday, and start some other method that will allow for much smaller cuts.