On 10mg ambien and 1 mg Xanax...do i need to get off ambien first?

[Ju...]

I have been on 10mg ambien for 11 years. It's not working anymore so I need to get off it. I also take 1 mg Xanax a day for 4 years and I will have to get off that too since it does not seem to work. Which one should I get rid of first. Should I taper at 10% per week like others I have read about? I'm feeling pretty scared about this.

Thanks.

Hi Justin Thyme,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies.

You have experienced what many of us have as well, tolerance to these types of medications.  In order to achieve the original effect more and more is required creating a vicious circle.

I am not experienced with Ambien but I do know they target the same receptors as benzos and also need to be tapered. From what I have read here on the forum, most people taper the benzo first. I hope those with knowledge of Ambien will weigh in on this.

Yes, I would suggest the 10% taper plan. In fact 5-10% reduction is recommended every 10-14 days. If you have not read the Ashton Manual, this might be a good place to start before you begin this process. Here is a link to it: Ashton Manual

The idea of withdrawal can be frightening but don't worry, many people can effectively withdraw with few or short term symptoms.  At any case we'll be here to encourage and support you.

I will ask that you create a signature line. That way when you ask questions members can see you medication history and dosage and respond accordingly.  Here are the directions to do that: Click Here

You will receive much care and support here, please feel free to ask questions.

pianogirl

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the ambien first as soom others say that is a shorter acting med. so I'll do  10% for a few weeks then see where I'm at. I went down 25% for two nights and that was a mistake. Back to 9mg and I'm stable. Wow this is a cunning and baffling drug.

Hey Justin!!!!! Welcome! ;D

I am in the same boat as you except my xanax dose is 2mg. I am weaning down off the ambien first.....Doing it right now! It isn't as bad as I thought. That's probably since it wasn't doing much anyway as I was in tolerance....duh......I was on the ambien cr then switched to the regular 10mg ambien and am now weaning down off of that. Sleep is not wonderful....thats for sure. But I am having a totally positive attitude because it wasn't wonderful before either!!!!

Good luck!

Lisa

Lisa, thank you and welcome as well!

I started last week and had to come to grips with how long it will take. At 10% every two weeks it will be awhile. (And that is just the ambien... Xanax is next). I'm impatient cause I feel like such a schmuck for getting hooked. I have chronic back pain and don't take anything for the pain. All I had to look forward to was sleep! Now I'm giving up the drugs that not only made feel better and sleep (in the beginning), but the drugs that let me handle the pain. On another note, It's hard to split these 10mg ambien into 1mg. Do you just eyeball the cut or do you have a special pill cutter?  I'm guessing so far. Keep posting so we can share stories and symptoms! I just want some sleep!!!

Thanks Lisa!

Ugh Justin...............I feel your pain......it totally stinks to realize that we became dependent on them and then now they don't even work. I was perfectly fine taking a sleeping pill to sleep for the rest of my life if it made me feel well....Well....as you know we aren't that lucky.

I have actually not gone by the book at all. I figured I could cut a bit more since I was still taking the xanax so I went from the 10mg to cutting it in 4's (with a pill cutter....still not an easy task) and taking 7.5mg....then I just went to 5mg. i still have a hard time getting them cut straight in the middle >:( I am holding at 5mg for prolly 2 weeks to see if my sleep evens out a little bit then I will either "try" to cut the quarter or just bite it and go to the .25. Does that make sense?????

Lisa

Yes ....I know I don't follow directions ;)

I have the same approach you do. Get off ambien then go for the Xanax. I would be happy taking a pill the rest of my life too.  But alas, it didn't work. Now the withdrawl is a pain.

My pill cutter does halfs and quarters. So then I have to further shave down to what I think is only a 10% cut. I would cut more but I'm afraid of those terrible withdrawl symptoms. I don't follow directions very well either. I don't know anyone who went cold turkey off ambien without Valium. Not sure I want to add another benzo. Also, I have used some hydroxyzine pamoate (prescription Benadryl ) to help with the sleep. That's that's the only thing my doc would recommend to help me. She wouldn't even give me a taper schedule. These docs don't know much about what they prescribe! :idiot:

Justin

Yeah....I am not crossing to Valium....makes no sense to me...none whatsoever.

Shaving off 10%...that should be interesting....You prolly look like you are making meth in there trying to shave down pills :laugh: