Wellbutrin

[ma...]

Hi Everyone

I am taking Wellbutrin. I understand that it is not marketed for anxiety, but that is what I'm taking it for. Anyhow, this is a very crucial time for me because, I am also slowly withdrawing from Klonopin. I know that I am facing some times where my anxiety will most likely increase, and I very much hoping that Wellbutrin will help me.

What are other peoples experience or knowledge of Wellbutrin? Does it work for Anxiety?

:)

Hi Marie,

I can't answer your Wellbutrin question, although there are many who have had experiences with the drug. Perhaps you could ask this question in the other forum where there's a section for questions exactly like yours.

I'm fairly new here, too, but wanted to say hello and wish you the best on your taper. I, too, was on Klonopin (for 12 years!), and was yanked of, cold turkey, three times by doctors. If you take things slowly, you'll be fine.

Best wishes,

Jillie

I have been on welbutrin for a little over a year now.  As an anti depressant it is easily the most tolerable that i have ever been on.  However the very fact that i am on this site while I am on welbutrin should give you some insight into how effective it is as an anti anxiety medication.(read not very).  I dont want to frighten you as thats the last thing you need right now but i do want to tell you what i'm experiencing.  I have serious anxiety problems  I was initially placed on paxil for close to 3 years.  I started getting depressed and so welbutrin was added to the mix.  a few months later we discontinued the paxil ( i think that was in September last year).  Now sometime in june i started getting symptoms of anxiety again, and was moved to ativan.  Those symptoms got worse, so i began taking ativan on a regular basis.  which brings me to today, i am now on Ativan, Welbutrin and most recently BuSpar.  When i tried to taper my dose of ativan, i got intense feelings of panic and anxiety (i may have gone to fast).  But the point is welbutrin is not an anti anxiety med and as such will not do anything to prevent the symptoms that you are going to be getting.  If you are looking for a med to use as a buffer i would suggest something that is labeled for anti anxiety uses.

I just wanted to throw this out there.  You never know.  I suffered from anxiety and depression for many years.  I was put on anti depressants for it also. As it turned out it, my failing thyroid was the culprit all along.  Once treated the anxiety and depression went away.  I didn't need the A/Ds anymore either.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  Food for thought!

Sandy :)

When I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder, my doc and I talked about appropriate meds. I asked her about Wellbutrin, as a friend of mine had been on it for depression, and depression usually involves anxiety also. Well, my doc told me that she didn't want to put me on Wellbutrin because it's possible it would make my panic attacks worse. I'm not sure if you're having panic attacks, but I wanted to give you the info. A different doctor seconded her opinion.

Hope this helps!

Therese

Hi Marie,

I too am on Wellbutrin 225mg sr. After 5 weeks it finally lifted my depression. What I have noticed is that I had a lot of anxiety related to my depression, and since the dep. has lifted, my anxiety is gone. But I'm still on Img Klonopin and 100mg Seroquel for sleep. Tonight I am doing my first cut in my taper. .125mg.

I was thinking the same thing about wellbutrin, Since it sort of a stimulant, would it be hard to tolerate, or help, as I taper K? I just saw a great new Psychiatrist yesterday, and didn't think to ask him this, but he is very supportive in my taper decision and wrote me a script for .5mg K #60, with 2 refills,(and said he'd renew if I needed more) which ought to take me through my whole taper. He also wrote a script for my wellbutrin, and didn't seem concerned that this would make my taper more difficult. How much are you on?

When I was in the psych unit a few months back, and they first put me on all these meds (for severe insomnia where I became suicidal), I questioned the shrink there about anxiety and wellbutrin, because I too had high anxiety,  and he said that although it is not marketed for anxiety and may not work quite as well for anxiety as some other A/D's, he did say it works ok for that.  (I also can't take other A/D's) 

Personally though, I feel it helps my anxiety. Though not sure if it will as I continue my taper! I'll let you know. And you let ME know!

Good luck to you :)

Linda