Does Benzo Belly every go away?

[Sa...]

Does anyone know if this benzo belly and bloatedness will ever go away?  It makes me so irritable! :tickedoff:  Is there anything I can do to help?  Do I have to wait till I'm benzo free?

Sandy :)

Do you mean IBS symptoms and bloating or just gaining weight in the belly?  I have both since the end of my taper but I've had IBS since my early 20's. 

Do you mean IBS symptoms and bloating or just gaining weight in the belly?  I have both since the end of my taper but I've had IBS since my early 20's. 

Shellzer!

I have all the above.  Bloating, benzo belly and IBS symtoms.  Were you able to get your weight off yet? 

I'm on the phone with Jillie, she says hi.  Jillie wants to know, does everyone balloon up while getting off benzos?  It's freaking her out.

Love,

Sandy :smitten:

Shellzer!

I have all the above.  Bloating, benzo belly and IBS symtoms.  Were you able to get your weight off yet? 

I'm on the phone with Jillie, she says hi.  Jillie wants to know, does everyone balloon up while getting off benzos?  It's freaking her out.

Love,

Sandy :smitten:

I still have my extra weight.  About 10 pounds.  It's not a lot and I'm still really petite, but enough to make me have to buy new pants!

Tell Jillie I said Hi and from what I've seen, yes it seems that weight gain once off benzos is common.  I don't know why.  Shelley, ChrisM, Ave, and I have all had it.  I remember being first off and my appetite went crazy.  I also have big cravings for sweet things.  Tell her not to freak out.  I think I haven't been able to properly exercise until recently so there's hope!  Of course, I've been lazy and not walking or running the past few weeks, but I can do it now where as during my taper I couldn't exercise at all without it stirring up w/d's.

I still have my extra weight.  About 10 pounds.  It's not a lot and I'm still really petite, but enough to make me have to buy new pants!

Tell Jillie I said Hi and from what I've seen, yes it seems that weight gain once off benzos is common.  I don't know why.  Shelley, ChrisM, Ave, and I have all had it.  I remember being first off and my appetite went crazy.  I also have big cravings for sweet things.   Tell her not to freak out.  I think I haven't been able to properly exercise until recently so there's hope!  Of course, I've been lazy and not walking or running the past few weeks, but I can do it now where as during my taper I couldn't exercise at all without it stirring up w/d's.

I hope things return to normal one day.  I hate my new benzo shape.  Just another wonderful s/x.  NOT! :tickedoff:

Shellz, I went for years diagnosed with IBS until a doctor finally asked me to stop wheat and gluten for a month.  Boy did I see a difference!  I took a few weeks but all the IBS symptoms disappeared,  I kid you not.  Did you ever consider this?

No, I've never looked at wheat gluten.  I seem to have trouble when I eat over processed foods.  Too much junk food sets it off.  I've never seemed to have a problem with dairy either.  I'm not lactose intolerant.

I'm due for another colonoscopy in January (gee, what fun!  :( )  so I'll ask the GI about it.

Try avoiding gluten for a week.  It's really a big problem for a lot of people - more now than ever. It might work for you.

My digestive system improved with a few things.  First, lysine... i know that sounds so weird, but it helps for some reason.  Also, I drink that Dan-Active stuff which has natural healthy bacteria.  The best "pro biotic" you can take is "florastor" (google it - it's really good for digestion) but it's expensive.  I also take fish oil which can reduce inflammation, and I feel like it regulates appetitie which could help with benzo belly.  For some reason, tapering benzos makes me want endless surgar and carbs - especially at night - cuz they make me tired... so I just bought frozen fruit from whole foods which sort of satisfies that craving but is much healthier.  well theres some ideas...good luck.

Try avoiding gluten for a week.  It's really a big problem for a lot of people - more now than ever. It might work for you.

My digestive system improved with a few things.  First, lysine... i know that sounds so weird, but it helps for some reason.  Also, I drink that Dan-Active stuff which has natural healthy bacteria.  The best "pro biotic" you can take is "florastor" (google it - it's really good for digestion) but it's expensive.  I also take fish oil which can reduce inflammation, and I feel like it regulates appetitie which could help with benzo belly.  For some reason, tapering benzos makes me want endless surgar and carbs - especially at night - cuz they make me tired... so I just bought frozen fruit from whole foods which sort of satisfies that craving but is much healthier.  well theres some ideas...good luck.

Jack,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I actually maintain a wheat and gluten free diet already and like you, I also take fish oil and a very high potency probiotic everyday.  The doctor has me on VSL#3 which contains 900 billion bacteria.  It's expensive as well.  It runs 30.00 USD a box of 10 packages and I need 14 packages a  week.

Thanks again!

Hey

I actually lost weight during my taper, but I totally bought into the idea that protein was a neuro builder so all I ate was proteinand salads for quite awhile,and enede up losing weight. Unlike other people carbs were not an issue so I lost weight.

TC

Bob

Hi Bob,

I lost weight at the beginning of my taper too.  I was down to 100 lbs!  :o  I gradually gained back to my normal weight the rest of the taper, but then at the end of my taper, somewhere below 1 mg, my appetite went crazy and especially when I was first off.  I'm eating better now but this extra weight is still here and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.  ::)  It's really weird.

Hi Bob,

I lost weight at the beginning of my taper too.  I was down to 100 lbs!  :o  I gradually gained back to my normal weight the rest of the taper, but then at the end of my taper, somewhere below 1 mg, my appetite went crazy and especially when I was first off.  I'm eating better now but this extra weight is still here and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.   ::)  It's really weird.

Shellz,

I read on another benzo site that the weight gain has something to do with damaged GABA and neurotransmitters caused by benzos.  When this area corrects itself we will be able to lose the weight but until that time, no amount of exercise or diet will help us lose it.  Just great, huh? >:(

I plain disagree with that. Some people do seem to have problems with weight during withdrawal (that might be because they are less active or not eating well though), but exercise is going to have some effect. I don't recommend that people stop eating, but a good diet can only help. I think what you've read elsewhere is far too pessimistic and plain wrong.

I plain disagree with that. Some people do seem to have problems with weight during withdrawal (that might be because they are less active or not eating well though), but exercise is going to have some effect. I don't recommend that people stop eating, but a good diet can only help. I think what you've read elsewhere is far too pessimistic and plain wrong.

Colin,

I'm not saying that you shouldn't exercise.  I try to everyday.  I believe it helps us with recovery.  I also maintain an extremely healthy diet but the pounds pack on.  I have the bloated benzo belly too.   I have a good diet and exercise yet the weight won't come off.  Many people I know personally have the same problems when they hit the lower doses or when they have just come off benzos.  What else can it be? :-\ It's very frustrating.

Hi Sandy,

I'm not disputing that some people have problems with their weight when withdrawing. I just take issue with the advice you received from elsewhere: "no amount of exercise or diet will help us lose it". Obviously, at some level you have realised that this cannot be correct, and decided to exercise anyway. It could well be the case (I'd say with near 100% certainty) that your weight would be more now if you hadn't exercised during your withdrawal.

Hi Sandy,

I'm not disputing that some people have problems with their weight when withdrawing. I just take issue with the advice you received from elsewhere: "no amount of exercise or diet will help us lose it". Obviously, at some level you have realised that this cannot be correct, and decided to exercise anyway. It could well be the case (I'd say with near 100% certainty) that your weight would be more now if you hadn't exercised during your withdrawal.

That's a good way to look at it.  Thanks!

• 3 months later...

With me I lost weight, and now I'm right back to the weight I was before I started it 110. No matter what I ate, or how much.

But my appitite, does suck for most of the time, except the week before my period, when it goes crazy.

With me I lost weight, and now I'm right back to the weight I was before I started it 110. No matter what I ate, or how much.

But my appitite, does suck for most of the money, except the week before my period, when it goes crazy.

are you saying you lose weight and then go back up to 110?

When I first stopped the benzo I was 128 and within like 7 months went to around 110. I started to loose the weight, right after stopping. for a little while, I was a little concern with how fast, but since I'm back to pre med, weight, it has not changed (maybe just one or two pounds give or take, every few days, but it always ends up the same every month.)

ok i see.

regarding weight gain that does not appear to be  related to diet - my friend finished the iron man and weighted at least 10 lbs more then when she started - there is no time to sit and eating when you do the iron man.

so there is more to the body then what meets the eye - i think here kidneys got stressed and whent into survival mode - because kidneys do not understand the iron man - i think they reacted to a fight or flight thing mode of survival.

when I was on it, I found myself, loving sweets much more!!! But since stopping, I can't really touch sweets, it doesn't taste good to me, and sorta makes me feel a bit nauseates just tasting it.  I've noticed too my taste in foods have changed, and i'm still trying to find out what foods I like, as a lot of food I used to liked, taste soo plain to me now.

there are a lot of vitamins and supplements in fresh seasoning - i have stocked up on a lot of fresh seasoning and go thru them like water.

I could try that.

for some reason, one food I seem to always have a taste for is a Big Mac.  I have no idea, why but the taste of hamburger meat with the sauces they use tastes soo good, even if once in a while it makes my stomach hurt a little.

i went on a fish/fries/coke thing every friday night for a year - it made me sicker then a dog but i think they have addictive things in their food - although their fries seem to suck lately - no danger of addiction there now.

i went on a fish/fries/coke thing every friday night for a year - it made me sicker then a dog but i think they have addictive things in their food - although their fries seem to suck lately - no danger of addiction there now.

I LOVE FISH and Chicken too, thats something I always get when I go out to a restaurant.