Author Topic: Does Benzo Belly every go away?  (Read 3924 times)

[Buddie]

Does Benzo Belly every go away?
« on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:43 pm »
Does anyone know if this benzo belly and bloatedness will ever go away?  It makes me so irritable! :tickedoff:  Is there anything I can do to help?  Do I have to wait till I'm benzo free?

[...] :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Does Benzo Belly every go away?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:09:35 am »
Do you mean IBS symptoms and bloating or just gaining weight in the belly?  I have both since the end of my taper but I've had IBS since my early 20's. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:21:53 am »
Do you mean IBS symptoms and bloating or just gaining weight in the belly?  I have both since the end of my taper but I've had IBS since my early 20's. 

[...]!

I have all the above.  Bloating, benzo belly and IBS symtoms.  Were you able to get your weight off yet? 

I'm on the phone with Jillie, she says hi.  Jillie wants to know, does everyone balloon up while getting off benzos?  It's freaking her out.

Love,
[...] :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:29:10 am »
[...]!

I have all the above.  Bloating, benzo belly and IBS symtoms.  Were you able to get your weight off yet? 

I'm on the phone with Jillie, she says hi.  Jillie wants to know, does everyone balloon up while getting off benzos?  It's freaking her out.

Love,
[...] :smitten:

I still have my extra weight.  About 10 pounds.  It's not a lot and I'm still really petite, but enough to make me have to buy new pants!
Tell Jillie I said Hi and from what I've seen, yes it seems that weight gain once off benzos is common.  I don't know why.  Shelley, ChrisM, Ave, and I have all had it.  I remember being first off and my appetite went crazy.  I also have big cravings for sweet things.   Tell her not to freak out.  I think I haven't been able to properly exercise until recently so there's hope!  Of course, I've been lazy and not walking or running the past few weeks, but I can do it now where as during my taper I couldn't exercise at all without it stirring up w/d's.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:05:21 pm »
I still have my extra weight.  About 10 pounds.  It's not a lot and I'm still really petite, but enough to make me have to buy new pants!
Tell Jillie I said Hi and from what I've seen, yes it seems that weight gain once off benzos is common.  I don't know why.  Shelley, ChrisM, Ave, and I have all had it.  I remember being first off and my appetite went crazy.  I also have big cravings for sweet things.   Tell her not to freak out.  I think I haven't been able to properly exercise until recently so there's hope!  Of course, I've been lazy and not walking or running the past few weeks, but I can do it now where as during my taper I couldn't exercise at all without it stirring up w/d's.

I hope things return to normal one day.  I hate my new benzo shape.  Just another wonderful s/x.  NOT! :tickedoff:

Shellz, I went for years diagnosed with IBS until a doctor finally asked me to stop wheat and gluten for a month.  Boy did I see a difference!  I took a few weeks but all the IBS symptoms disappeared,  I kid you not.  Did you ever consider this?

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 12:30:13 pm »
No, I've never looked at wheat gluten.  I seem to have trouble when I eat over processed foods.  Too much junk food sets it off.  I've never seemed to have a problem with dairy either.  I'm not lactose intolerant.
I'm due for another colonoscopy in January (gee, what fun!  :( )  so I'll ask the GI about it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 05:12:01 am »
Try avoiding gluten for a week.  It's really a big problem for a lot of people - more now than ever. It might work for you.

My digestive system improved with a few things.  First, lysine... i know that sounds so weird, but it helps for some reason.  Also, I drink that Dan-Active stuff which has natural healthy bacteria.  The best "pro biotic" you can take is "florastor" (google it - it's really good for digestion) but it's expensive.  I also take fish oil which can reduce inflammation, and I feel like it regulates appetitie which could help with benzo belly.  For some reason, tapering benzos makes me want endless surgar and carbs - especially at night - cuz they make me tired... so I just bought frozen fruit from whole foods which sort of satisfies that craving but is much healthier.  well theres some ideas...good luck.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:02:04 pm »
Try avoiding gluten for a week.  It's really a big problem for a lot of people - more now than ever. It might work for you.

My digestive system improved with a few things.  First, lysine... i know that sounds so weird, but it helps for some reason.  Also, I drink that Dan-Active stuff which has natural healthy bacteria.  The best "pro biotic" you can take is "florastor" (google it - it's really good for digestion) but it's expensive.  I also take fish oil which can reduce inflammation, and I feel like it regulates appetitie which could help with benzo belly.  For some reason, tapering benzos makes me want endless surgar and carbs - especially at night - cuz they make me tired... so I just bought frozen fruit from whole foods which sort of satisfies that craving but is much healthier.  well theres some ideas...good luck.

[...],

Thanks so much for your reply.

I actually maintain a wheat and gluten free diet already and like you, I also take fish oil and a very high potency probiotic everyday.  The doctor has me on VSL#3 which contains 900 billion bacteria.  It's expensive as well.  It runs 30.00 USD a box of 10 packages and I need 14 packages a  week.

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:09:31 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 05:03:44 pm »
Hey
I actually lost weight during my taper, but I totally bought into the idea that protein was a neuro builder so all I ate was proteinand salads for quite awhile,and enede up losing weight. Unlike other people carbs were not an issue so I lost weight.
TC
Bob

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:55:01 pm »
Hi Bob,
I lost weight at the beginning of my taper too.  I was down to 100 lbs!  :o  I gradually gained back to my normal weight the rest of the taper, but then at the end of my taper, somewhere below 1 mg, my appetite went crazy and especially when I was first off.  I'm eating better now but this extra weight is still here and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.   ::)  It's really weird.