Physical vs. Psychological Addiction

[Su...]

I'm very curious as to how much I am physically addicted vs. psychologically addicted to xanex.  I guess it doesn't matter too much cause they are both painful.  However, I'm very scared of the physical problems associated with discontinuing.  Is there some place that tells just how little of a benz you can take that will ensure you don't have seizures?

Guess this is just worrying.  I'm not planning on going cold turkey.  Just a little anxious that if all of a sudden I didn't have benzs, what dose would I have to be on to avoid the physical part?

Hi

Well for me once I suffered withdrawal effects it was a totally physical thing from Xanax, I thought I was psychologically addicted to Xanax because quite honestly I initially liked its effects.Until I felt what it was like to be without it, then I knew it was a physical addiction.

Thats why it is necessary to slowly eliminate it from your system so that your body doesn't need it anymore.

I did it and you can too.

TC

Bobers

The only thing I ever liked about Xanex is when it stopped my panic attacks or anxiety levels from going thru the roof.  I still have a fear that if I'm without it and have a panic attack (say while driving), I'll faint.  However, I know my anxiety will actually be better once I'm off of these stupid little pills. 

Thanks for your replies.

Hi, Summer,

It's a tough question to answer, because as Bobers pointed out, the physical effects of w/d can oftentimes manifest as psychological effects. Your emotions do have a biochemical underpinning, so when your body's neurotransmitters get out of whack, as they do in benzo w/d, it comes out as emotional feelings. It's almost like someone has an emotional remote control and can push buttons to make you feel a certain way. So in a situation where a normal person might have a small amount of fear, a benzo w/d person will have much more fear because their biochemistry is unbalanced. As your system heals, your emotions will start coming back under your control. Don't know if this makes any sense... :wacko:

Therese

Therese,

Yes, it makes a lot of sense and thank you.  Fear is coming up big time for me, but then again, I have chosen to withdraw a lot faster than I probably should.  Going to stabilize for a week or two now.

I really like what Therese said and agree that physical and psychological dependence are so intertwined. 

One word of caution...there's some stong beliefs out there (even in the medical community :crazy:) that benzos are not severely physically addicting.  As you may have sensed from all your reading and responses on our site, we KNOW benzos are strongly physically addicting.  Like you, we live it! That's the reason it's so, so important to do the slow taper.

Good Question Summer;)

Take Care,

Maggie

Yes, my family doctor reconfirmed it yesterday.  He didn't see any need for a slow withdrawal.  Thought that withdrawing from 5 mg at a time every two or three days from valium wouldn't be a problem for anyone.  Then he said "have you tried elavil?".  My Goodness, I'm beginning to think the whole country is on tons of prescription medicine cause every time you go to a doctor they want to give you something else, unless, of course, if you ask for medicine.

Yes, my family doctor reconfirmed it yesterday.  He didn't see any need for a slow withdrawal.  Thought that withdrawing from 5 mg at a time every two or three days from valium wouldn't be a problem for anyone.  Then he said "have you tried elavil?".  My Goodness, I'm beginning to think the whole country is on tons of prescription medicine cause every time you go to a doctor they want to give you something else, unless, of course, if you ask for medicine.

Summer,

Are you going to taper that fast? :o

Sandy :)

This whole country is on tons of medicine.  It is a disease in our society.  Sometimes we have a right to be depressed, anxious, fearful and everyone wants to cure it and no one wants to process these things as a normal way of life.  A new law has been passed by congress re: FDA  The new law requires drug companies to reveal all their testings and research.  This may be a new step forward in eliminating some nasty drugs and the commercials on TV.  Summer get another doctor if you can.  That is ridiculous.  I hope you can find one.  Janus

My Goodness, I'm beginning to think the whole country is on tons of prescription medicine cause every time you go to a doctor they want to give you something else, unless, of course, if you ask for medicine.

This reminds me of something a friend told me the other day. I don't know where she got the information, but she told me that if doctors don't write so many prescriptions, their malpractice insurance goes up.  :(  Apparently, the insurance company thinks that more medications means healthier people...

Hi, Summer,

It's a tough question to answer, because as Bobers pointed out, the physical effects of w/d can oftentimes manifest as psychological effects. Your emotions do have a biochemical underpinning, so when your body's neurotransmitters get out of whack, as they do in benzo w/d, it comes out as emotional feelings. It's almost like someone has an emotional remote control and can push buttons to make you feel a certain way. So in a situation where a normal person might have a small amount of fear, a benzo w/d person will have much more fear because their biochemistry is unbalanced. As your system heals, your emotions will start coming back under your control. Don't know if this makes any sense... :wacko:

Therese

Therese, This is an excellent description of what happens emotionally. 

I usually tell my husband and family it's like my body is lacking an "internal temperature gage".  Normally things can heat up (have emotional responses to issues) but since the gage is broken my mind "over heats" very easily and my anxiety, fear, panic, etc. can go through the roof.  This has gotten so much better since being off and as I've healed.  I may get upset about something but it doesn't spiral out of control.  It takes time, but it does happen.

No, I am not going to taper that fast.  I'm going to do 1 to 2 weeks and go down at a 10% reduction rate or less depending upon how I feel.  I already tried transferring over from xanex to valium at too fast a rate.  Ruined my sleeping and sent my anxiety level thru the roof.  Am going to stabilize now for 1 to 4 weeks or until I can get a good night sleep without taking additional medicine.  Thanks!