freaked....

[Sk...]

hey..

this is a double post, but Im double freaked. I dont know what the hell happen. Im haveing pretty severe s/x for a 10% cut from 1mg to .9mg  It almost feels like psycosis trying to kick in. I feel the blood in my head pounding and definetly feel fear when I try to sleep that wont let me go to sleep. Is feeling fear when you try to fall asleep a w/d symtom. I took a abenedryl and its still there....I might be causing some of this myself. I dont know. but ever since I read about benzos and how hard it is to get off them ive been scared.

Im just going to hold this cut... and hope for the best. This is really strange ive made bigger cuts at one time and have been stable on .5mgklon just not to long ago. I NEVER felt the fear when falling to sleep from any of my cuts. only from psycosis from to fast of lithium withdrawl at one time.which ive reinstated a while back at my normal level...So just makeing one 10% cut and haveing these problems. I really dont understand....Do you feel pretty much ok.. then feel fear just as you doze of to sleep?? man oh man  Im only at .9mg

thanx Skeeter

Hi Skeeter,

I sounds as though you are tapering too quickly. As with my earlier posts, I think you'd be wise to stabilise your dose for a while, and make a slower withdrawal when you start to taper again.

thanx

I dont have any choice but I still dont understand this... like ive said just within the past yr. I made 1mg>.75mg>.50mg  no fear just anxiety...Im baffled how I could withstand 25-35% cuts and now 10% cut is totally messin me up....

thanx Skeeter

Hi Skeeter,

Although cutting a percentage in relation to our present dose is the best guide to how large out cut should be in absolute terms, it is still only a guide. We should slow the size of our cuts as our dose diminishes, but there is still much randomness to a taper. Some cuts just hit harder, and for no apparent reason. All you can do is addapt to the situation, and continue again when things improve.

Hi Skeeter,

May I ask, are you seeing a therapist,

It could be that your fear is benzo-unrelated and threrapy may help.

best wishes,

kev

Hey kev

Well ive been seeing a therapist( psyc Dr.s) for about 20yrs....alot of my fears tie in with my past psyc. history. I start kicking up 'symptoms of ole' and it scares the crap out of me.....out of me...out of me!!

Skeeter

Hi, Skeeter,

Actually, that was always one of my first symptoms after making a cut--fear or panic while trying to get to sleep! I still have it every now and then. I don't know why it kicks in then. My guess is that while we're trying to get to sleep, we're not distracted--so we notice the anxiety and fear more, which kind of "fuels" it. Like Colin says, it's fine to hold at your dose for a few days until you feel ready to continue your taper.

Therese

i have the luxury of holding a cut for a month (i think).

that gives my body plenty of time to stabilize.

i have been using tryptophan (not sure if its spelt write - but it has the calming effects of a turkey dinner - i think it is helping - it takes a few days to take effect.

i also use gabba powder in a pinch - it is pretty strong.

fear of fear is the worst fear of all - try to notice what is working - walk till you are wiped out - run if you can - sit in nature and a good therapist is worth their wait in gold - cognitive therapy can help re arrange your thinking patterns.

Silver

thanx - for me it would take all of the above and then some maby...Like Ashton says, Some people with severe psych problems have to go into detox...Im going to give this a break for a while..If I start again I will have a different plan.

thanx Skeeter

Skeeter,

I have to caution you about detox.  I really do believe that that is the worst way to get off benzos.  I have read stories where people who have gotten off benzos this way claim never to be the same again.  Many people who have gone through detox are on benzo support sites warning others not to make the same mistake.

Sandy

Hi,

As Sandy pointed out, detox is plain bad idea for benzos. The only time it warrented is in the rare situation where someone experiences a genuine toxic reaction to benzos, and it is dangerous for them to continue on them. A rapid detox with anticonvulsants to save against seizure would then be the lesser of too evils. Most people are very ill for a very long time after a benzo detox.

Hi Skeeter,

I've been thinking of you and i hope you are well,

I don't know how it is in the states but here psychiatric doctors differ from therapists.

here, psychiatric docs tend to be uncaring and dish out medication fairly lightly.

I know that for me, working on the cognitive side of my person has helped me with my fear.

Rather than negative looping thoughts, I have some positive affirmations of myself also.

The fear has'nt gone away, the thoughts return but I can manage.

I wish you the best and I'd love for you to find a caring therapist- that's if you don't have one already-

I'm very fortunate in that way,

Best wishes,

kev

some people have no choice - if the doctor cuts you off or threatens you with more and different meds then it may be an option.

i had to agree to more powerful meds to get enough ativan to detox on - if they demanded drug testing i never could of gotten more ativan to detox on.

i just discovered i have been misspelling ativan every since i joined this forum.

i just discovered i have been misspelling ativan every since i joined this forum.

I had been reluctant to mention it! :laugh: It's a bit like 'spinach in your teeth'! ;D

oh well thank you for your sensitivity - spelling was never my best subject i think i know how to spell lorazepam so maybe i should just use that - oops - that lit up to - there corrected.