Starting my Taper

[...]

:pokey:

I started my taper yesterday,i was on 30mg Valium and am now on 25mg, i am tapering 1.25mg every second day and quite frankly am terrified of whats to come..

There are all sorts of scenarios going on in my head, i hope its the one thats semi OK that occurs.

Is everyone more than scared to start tapering?

Or am i overreacting?

Peace

Dena

Hi Dena,

As you already know, I think your taper is very big ask. If you do find that you have some extra pills, I'll work out the longest possible taper for the number of pills you have available. Halving your dose in just over two weeks is not to be recommended. maybe you'll be lucky though, as the effects of taper are so unpredictable. It is better to be positive.

Hi Dena

Sure I was scared, especially after suffering w/ds all I could picture was doing a long taper and suffering with wd's for months and months, thats why I wanted off so quick. I would listen to Colin, though the taper wasn't pleasent, at the right speed it was possible. I had trouble with my GP getting enough Valium, but I finally convinced him to give me a little more time, not as much as I wanted, but a little extra. I was pretty forceful and I also wrote down everydays taper on a pad brought it with me and brought the pills so he could see I was telling the truth and not drug seeking, don't know if you can do that, as you seem to have a distance problem. hope that helps

Take care

Bobers

Hi Dena,

How are you feeling so far?

I wasn't scared to taper.  I just knew that I was smack in the middle of tolerance withdrawal and that my life was turned upside down. I knew it was the only way I could get my life back and I was determined to do so.

The taper hasn't been easy.  I've hit some rough patches.  But this I can tell you.  I was able to take care of my family and carry on with all my usual activities (except exercising) just as I had before.  I did have some bad days but I got through them.  I'm down to 2.25mg now and my life has already gotten so much better.  I may look a little beat up, afterall I've been going through w/d for eight months now, who wouldn't, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a oncoming train.  I'm winning my life back and for that alone it's so been worth it. :thumbsup:

Sandy :)

Hi Sandy and Bobbers

Thank you for posting, and the kind encouragement. :)

I honestly DO NOT reccomend this taper to anyone, especially to people who are prone to the quick onslaught of w/d.

I am going to be at 22.5mg tomorrow and i feel like I'm dying. I have mostly all of the w/d symptoms and could write out a list but thats on the home page.

Sleeping is a huge problem now.

And a tummy knot, and feeling like you can't breathe is a given. :sick:

My post is in this section because my anxiety level has shot through the roof causing my whole body to tremor, feels like a slight shudder thoughout. Any help there?

My P/doc is at a conference until next Wednesday, so i am going to try my regular doctor.

I'll see you all at 15mg.

Peace

Dena

:pokey:

I started my taper yesterday,i was on 30mg Valium and am now on 25mg, i am tapering 1.25mg every second day and quite frankly am terrified of whats to come..

There are all sorts of scenarios going on in my head, i hope its the one thats semi OK that occurs.

Is everyone more than scared to start tapering?

Or am i overreacting?

Peace

Dena

Dena,

Why are you tapering so fast?

Sandy

Dena,

About the shaking,  that is just a withdrawal symptom.  It has happened to me in the past and I am sure will happen again.  It comes and goes and is just the nature of the beast.  Try not to be scared.  Just keep telling yourself that you are winning the way back to freedom and into the light.  You will feel so much better as your body adjusts to the lower dose.  Stay brave and stay focused.  You can do this! 

Much love,

XXXXXChristine/BlueMoth

Dena,

Why are you tapering so fast?

Sandy

She's being forced into it by her psychiatrist. It is totally unnecessary to taper at this rate, and in anycase, Dena became dependent upon benzos because she followed the advice of her psychiatrist. For him/her to now turn around and force her to cut her dose in half is unethical. Reducing the dose or quitting benzos is tough - it should be up to the patient.

She's being forced into it by her psychiatrist. It is totally unnecessary to taper at this rate, and in anycase, Dena became dependent upon benzos because she followed the advice of her psychiatrist. For him/her to now turn around and force her to cut her dose in half is unethical. Reducing the dose or quitting benzos is tough - it should be up to the patient.

That's awful!  Maybe she can call around and see if there are any other doctors that will support a slower taper?  Perhaps she can present her psychiatrist with a copy of the Ashton Manuel.  That's what I did.  At first he sad no, but two weeks later I asked him again and he finally agreed to let me try it.  He just recently told me that because of my success with this method he will use it on others.  He just asked me two days ago if I would be willing to speak to a board as well as to one of his patients.  It made my day!

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sandy

Thanks Colin for giving Sandy the info of whats going on.

I live in a fairly rural area, the town has one road that goes through the heart of it and we have dirt roads where i am. It's a small community.

The one doctor who is functional here i cannot see for personal reasons.

My doctor is half an hour away - and i don't drive.

We have no buses, no taxi's, no trains, no mode of transport at all.

My psychiatrist is 2 hours away, so you can imagine what a pain it is getting there and back. And he costs a fortune.

I'm not trying to find excuses, i am just telling you what my situation is.

I am now on 15mg of Valium and i don't know if what i feel is w/d or My neck just giving me problems.

I'm staying on 15mg for a little while and them ideally i would like the slowest taper there is.

Thanks for your support

Peace

Dena