phenibut anybody?

[je...]

Hi all!

I was given the suggestion of phenibut by a drug and alcohol counselor who deals with benzo w/d to help with sleep. It is over the counter "natural" supplement that crosses the blood brain barrier and hits Gaba 2 receptors site (this is what I was told). Has anyone ever tried using this? I used it last night and it did help. No side effects so far....

Jenn

thank piano girl!

I figured it was too good to be true:) The couselor did say to be careful and to not use it every night to not build a tolerance to it.

I had no idea it mimicked a benzo. geesh..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still tapering off of clonazeam and had to updose due a crisis, but plan to get back to where I was and off of it in a couple of months.

Next will be ambien. For a while I was able to get by with half at night, but back up there now.

Anyone think that when I get to tapering the ambien, that I could alternate it with penibut every other night?

Phenibut acts on some of the benzo receptors, has very high tolerance & a short half life so no advantage given what you want to achieve. Using every second night, you would likely reach tolerance in a matter of weeks, if not earlier.

Phenibut withdrawal is as bad as the worst kind of benzo withdrawal.

Sorry to be so negative but there are ample reports of very bad experiences to be had.

I tried 2 doses recently and I felt kind of weird in an uncomfortable way. I also felt thick headed in a different way than cog fog feels. I decided not to use it again.

I wonder if it's related to phenobartitol. This was sold over the counter in a drugstore in Switzerland. They sold it to me for neck pain I was having there.

As I remember, it just made me dizzy and lightheaded and I twisted my ankle the next morning.

I'll stay away from phenibut I guess.