Help to c/o from Xanax to Valium

[...]

Dear all,

As a 22 year long Xanax user, I've been able to tamper down Xanax until I hit the 0.25mg mark.

Everytime I try to go lower than that, I sleep horribly and I have ever more withdrawal symptoms.

I've found the Ashton manual a long time ago, and I though "no way I am going to take Valium in order to stop Xanax".

After a lot of frustration I think Dr. Ashton probably has a good point.

Please advice me on this: I am now at 0.25 mg Xanax only to help me sleep. The equivalent of Valium would be 10 mgs. I was thinking of c/o to Valium in this week since I am in holidays.

Could you please advise me to how shall I do this? Shall I take this evening and for the next 2 weeks, something like:

0.25mg Xanax + 10 mg Valium

... and then taper of Xanax until zero?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Brok

Hi, Brok.

I think a switch to Valium could be very helpful in the case of a short-acting benzo like Xanax.  Prof Ashton use the equivalence of  .5mg Xanax = 10 mg Valium, so .25mg Xanax = 5mg Valium.  The equivalencies are something of ana average though, so you might need more or less, I suppose, but twice as much is just too much, imo.

To do a substitution, you drop a little Xanax and add an equivalent amount of Valium; wait a week or two and do it again until you are on nothing but 5mg Valium.  So what I would do in your situation is take .125mg Xanax + 2.5mg Valium at night for a week or two and then just 5mg Valium.  Hold there for a few weeks and then start tapering the Valium.  How does that sound?

Hi Brok,

I think Beeper is right on this. As a long time user of Xanax it is very difficult when you get to the lower ranges. My doctor switched me from Xanax to Librium overnight and not at the right equivalency and I have hung through it. I think for most people it is best to go to the longer acting benzos to jump from.

Take care and I wish you well.

Hi Serena and Beeper,

Thanks for the help, I agree - the lower stages of Xanax are hellish. Hopefully moving to Valium will help me finish what I've started.

Thanks so much :) and wish me luck :)

Brok