it has occurred to me we are all most like on bezo's due to

[si...]

anxiety - and many well me i am trying to find a substitute in supplements - which is ok - but i think we could benifit from cognitive thought process change.

we are stressed and need to learn how to cope with life - how to cope with stress - so if anyone has effective techniques please share.

Silver,

Once upon a time I had my panic/anxiety disorder under control.  This was after going thru a 6 month (once a week) support group with homework.  At that time I was on 80 mg valium and tapered myself (many, many years ago).  Now, I am back to square 1.  However, I do recognize that it is possible to live almost panic-free.  I have ordered a couple of self-help books called "Don't Panic" and something similar that is a workbook thru Amazon.  The only part I don't know if it's ever possible to get rid of panic is while driving.  Every other place you can work thru a desensitization process.  However, with driving, if you panic and faint, you are pretty much in a big heap of trouble.  Wonder if anyone knows how to handle a driving phobia.  I'll ask the supposedly "anxiety expert" I'm seeing today and hopefully will find out.

One thing that helped me when I felt a panic attack rising was to say, "I want to be calm" slowly, over and over, instead of "I don't want to panic" over and over. I read somewhere (I think on this site) that the brain doesn't really distinguish negatives or something like that. So when you say, "I don't want to panic," the brain reacts as if you said, "I want to panic." I don't know if that's the reason "I want to be calm" works better than "I don't want to panic," but it did help me a lot.

Therese

Silver,

I have a program that has helped me tremendously!  It's "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" by Lucinda Bassett.  The program consists of cds, dvds, workbook, etc..  It's a great program and I highly reccommend it.  Let me know if you would like more info.

Sandy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy,

Thanks for the tip and info on tools for anxiety.  I just read about "the fear of the fear" in panic disorders (also anxiety) a piece of news that I think might help.  It said that instead of fearing the anxiety or the panic, encourage it to come wash over you.  If you don't fear it coming or fear it while it's there, it will actually go away in a shorter period of time.

I guess that is also the gist of "I want to feel calm, or I feel calm".  I guess the point is not to fight the fear, but accept it so that it will go away.

Don't know if it works, but I'm willing to try it.

Summer

identifying stressful situations helps me.  there are some people i like that behave badly - i just turn them off and leave asap when they are triggering me.

i am old now and could die from a heart attack from some of the things i once lived with and can and will not tolerate anymore.

nothing like experience to get you in touch with toxicity of situations - some people are born with that sense - some learn to cope from parents and others (like me) learn the hard way - but learn i am.

music works well for me if it is good - but good music is hard to find - i prefer excellent radio stations as i get sick of my own music - a good radio station will have me finger popping and singing.

• 1 month later...

Silver,

I have a program that has helped me tremendously!  It's "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" by Lucinda Bassett.  The program consists of cds, dvds, workbook, etc..  It's a great program and I highly reccommend it.  Let me know if you would like more info.

I have this and have yet to go into it much.  What seemed to help you most from it...where should I start first??? ???

I have this and have yet to go into it much.  What seemed to help you most from it...where should I start first??? ???

Silver,

Did your program come with the dvds too?  Just pop in the introduction and you will be on your way.  I didn't spend too much time on the workbook.  I burned the cds down to my IPOD and when I go on my walks I would listen to them over and over again.  I think for the most part it would probably be easier to implement the program once you are done tapering.  There's just somedays where I am feeling so bad during my taper that I really can't retain much info.  It can't hurt to start it now, but I would recommend that you complete the program again once you are Benzo free.  I know I will.  I would recommend that you use the relaxation cd now.  It's a terrific program.  Money well spent! :thumbsup:

My set was a gift from my fiance'.  Ironically, his Mom had bought it before she died and never used it.  I think of it as a gift from her from Heaven. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey that's neat BNM. :)

But yeah absolutely. Postive versus negative motivation. The brains responds to that upon which we dwell.....

A good attitude practiced daily trumps "fear of the worst" every time.

It's soooooo true, what Wayne Dyer and many others say: We are the sum total of all the choices we have made in our lives leading right up to NOW.

The coolest part I love about that axiom is the freedom it places in our hands.  Choice is the ultimate freedom. Never, ever discount that or brush it off. Over time, it's an immutable truth. I've

Ok i don't know what happened last night. I cut myself off and obviously thought I was finished but left a dangling "I've" lol

But was just saying it's an immutable truth and that "I've now lived it."

I'm not sure if this is inline with the rest of the topic, lol. I do believe it to be such an important principle, I am going to create a separate one devoted to it.

[c1...]

HI All:

I have found progressive muscle relaxation to be helpful when I am anxious -- there is a good exercise outlined in "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J. Bourne. I had my husband record the exercise so I can listen to his soothing voice when I am practicing! I have also found the chapters on "Self-Talk", "Mistaken Beliefs", and "Personal Meaning" helpful.

Kristin

thank you everyone for your input - i just have to freeze the moment and live it - it is so hard for me to concentrate and do what i need to do right now.