Joint pain?

[mi...]

I am now in month 6 from a rapid taper.  Does anyone have any stories about horrible joint pains that got worse that eventually vanished and when they might have vanished?

Thanks much. 

Hi miffed,

I was wondering the same as you.  I am over 11 months free and have trouble with my knees hurting when I stand or sit - never had any knee problems in my life before this. One of my elbows is painful to have any pressure applied to it. It doesn't seem to be bothered by movement but pressure on the tip of the bone, even touching this area is painful.  I had my elbow xrayed and nothing showed up, fortunately.  So I just assume that all this is w/d. 

Like you, also wondering about healing for joints.

Sally

Sorry that you are still going through this Stillbelieving.  I hope someone answers us.  I have searched the site and found plenty of comments about sore joints but I wasn't able to find much about healing timeframes for joints.  I could live with the joints if needed but I really want the psychological symptoms to vanish.  (i.e. anxiety, irrational fears, social phobias).  Have you had any luck with those vanishing?  I want to get on with my life but don't really know how until the psych symptoms go.  Thanks. 

Hi miffed, I am closing in on 14 months out. I would like to know the answer to your question as I am in pain myself. still. Mine moves around from joint to joint or bone to bone. Does your travel?

Well it started with knees, neck and jaw.  Now also in my elbows and every now and then ankles and fingers.  Some days it is worse than others.  I was working out and thought that might be the issue. I stopped working out for a few weeks and still had issues.  I am back exercising again with lighter weights and walking instead of running etc. Really no change.  Maybe a little worse but I think the exercise is curbing the depression.  I hope this is just hyper-sensitive nerves.  I can certainly deal with the pain if that was the only symptom I have, though I would like it to go away as I really would like to enjoy more outdoor sports.  I am having the most trouble with the anxiety symptoms and fears and obssessive worry about when I'll get better.  To the point that I can't really live my life the way I'd like.  Did you have bad symptoms and have they eased as it relates to the psych symptoms?  If so, did you do anything, like push through things that you thought would just completely make you lose control? 

Thanks. 

I experienced horrible pain during my rapid taper which only worsened more and more after I got off. I hate to say this but in my case it did not just one day up and leave, it only got worse.  At over 2 yrs off I was nearly disabled from joint and muscle pain when I went on an anti-inflammatory plant-based whole foods diet. Finally, within 3 weeks on the diet, I saw an 80% reduction in pain. After 6 months on the diet (28 months off benzos) I began having completely pain free days. I'll be 3 years off later this month and finally I am fully healed, but it only happened recently! I'm happy to share a link to the diet if you are interested. I wish I had known about it sooner, would've saved myself years of hurt.

I was getting ready to start a thread just lIke this one as I too have startEd to have joint pain in both knees. My feet also have started to hurt badly and This has come out of nowhere. I'm now 10.5 mths off c/t from Xanax.  I did not have this pain this badly until two weeks ago.

This joint pain is so bad that it does not matter what I take it won't stop.  This is all so confusing to me. It seems the longer I'm off Xanax the worse I feel 

i'm 20 months since ct and the joint pain is still very much with me.  my take is the ativan numbed my body for 25 years so it will take some time until the problem reverses.

Thanks everyone for the input.  Sure, I'll take a look at the diet Greengirl if you'd send it over.  Does anyone have any good news about the pyschological symptoms?  Like the pain lasted longer in the joints but the psych symptoms eased earlier?  I can deal with pain if the anxiety/fear/recurring thought symptoms go away. Thanks much, God bless us all and may our healing come faster.     

Well it started with knees, neck and jaw.  Now also in my elbows and every now and then ankles and fingers.  Some days it is worse than others.  I was working out and thought that might be the issue. I stopped working out for a few weeks and still had issues.  I am back exercising again with lighter weights and walking instead of running etc. Really no change.  Maybe a little worse but I think the exercise is curbing the depression.  I hope this is just hyper-sensitive nerves.  I can certainly deal with the pain if that was the only symptom I have, though I would like it to go away as I really would like to enjoy more outdoor sports.  I am having the most trouble with the anxiety symptoms and fears and obssessive worry about when I'll get better.  To the point that I can't really live my life the way I'd like.  Did you have bad symptoms and have they eased as it relates to the psych symptoms?  If so, did you do anything, like push through things that you thought would just completely make you lose control? 

Thanks.

I have pushed through things. I look back and cant believe I gave two public lectures a few months back.

I too obsess about getting better and I obsess about death and dying. All day. Its been with me a year. I didnt have this pre benzo. Just rolling with it as best as I can.

I havent had a lot of breaks in psych or body sx. I have healed a bit for sure, but my stuff in pretty constant. I havent had a window where I felt good all day. Mostly my windows are mental. I do feel when my body stuff flares the mental kicks up a notch.

Hope you heal soon. This is a long and lonely journey.

i am in the same boat as you.im working out with light weights and alternating body parts.now have developed elbow and

hand pain.increased neck tension.but i aint giving it up as its part of me being me.and also consider stopping but feel it will do no good only take away my time and my way of trying to be proactive in my healing.

neck is most bothersome as it causes dizzness at times and blurry vision.whats funny is when im working out im ok for a bit.good luck stay strong.

Greengirl...Could you share the diet on this thread?

Bill

Just google The Whole Life Nutrition Elimination Diet

I followed the phase 1 food list for 4 weeks, then began testing foods from the other phases for reactions, waiting 3 days between additions.

Now many months into the diet I can eat some of the food triggers I determined were causing me pain without the bad pain flareups that I would experience before. But I'm still on a whole foods plant based diet because it really works for me. I decided not to add animal products back in.

Healed, Finally  8)

I just discovered this thread after posting a long message querying people's experience with body pain associated with clonazepam--so I'm NOT alone!  I didn't really think so, but . . .

Anyway, I want to support what's been said about diet--this is really crucial.  I've had to pare my diet down to a nearly absurd set of restrictions because of a separate issue, but I think the incidental result (a limited, but much more balanced, diet than I had before) may turn out to be that I'll sense some alleviation of the joint pain and other stuff that I suspect so strongly of being related to clonazepam use and withdrawal. 

The other thing is, don't forget to breathe.  Make a point from time to time of breathing slowly and deeply for a minute or two--the extra oxygen can really help.  And consider mindfulness meditation.  I've already gone into this in detail elsewhere, so here I'm going to leave it at just making the suggestion.  But think about it.

Good luck, everyone -

I was getting ready to start a thread just lIke this one as I too have startEd to have joint pain in both knees. My feet also have started to hurt badly and This has come out of nowhere. I'm now 10.5 mths off c/t from Xanax.  I did not have this pain this badly until two weeks ago.

This joint pain is so bad that it does not matter what I take it won't stop.  This is all so confusing to me. It seems the longer I'm off Xanax the worse I feel

Sooner, I know the feeling. I am pushing 14 months out and my legs are not AS bad as when tapering, (bedridden) but they are worse than they were a few months ago. Shakey, burning, weak, and my bones hurt all over now worse than a few months ago. I know I am getting better in some ways but I feel I dont move forward, I move sideways. new stuff comes and I am so freaking tired of waking up knowing I have to *cope* with my day, my life, instead of being in the flow, productive and happy. I know we all heal. I know it takes time, but sometimes the thin ribbon of hope gets snatched by a flock of starlings that are building a new nest. Metaphorically speaking of course. :)

I want my life back. Now.

I am going to take a different approach with my answer. I HAD NO PAIN in my hip or low back on the Ativan or Valium after the CROSSOVER  plus I was sleeping....so the pain I am having is a response to NO BENZO'S. Actually I had pain prior to the Benzo's so it was another so called benefit at the time. LITTLE DID WE KNOW there's no FREE LUNCH.

I also have the pain on pressure on Right elbow and yes the JOINTS take turns...LOL. I too thinks it w/d.

And the pain is back for sure. It's so easy to understand how everyone of us got ensnared...could not sleep took the pill, had anxiety took the pill, needed a muscle relaxant ..non better than the benzodiazapines. When we  could not continue on the BENZO'S and we slammed in an equal and opposite direction until there is NATURAL stabilization.

It's not called BENZO HELL for nothing.

I use hot, cold, TENS UNIT, message which is costly, whirlpool...and if all else fails pain medication as a last resort.

I also use prayer and meditation to reduce stress. I came upon a you tube on EFT as a modality for benzodiazapine withdrawal. I think it helps. You can google EMOTIONAL FREEDOM Technique.

Hi Miffed and everyone else,

Well from reading everyone's posts I am now more than before optimistic that this is w/d, which is a good thing for we know we will heal from that where if it had been caused from something else like arthritis for example - then we wouldn't.  Just by knowing that I'm not alone in having these sxs makes mine not frightening anymore.  Of course my mind had gone to the extremes of my having to have surgery on my elbow, that I would lose my elbow entirely, lose my arm, on and on to the worse extremes.  But now I'm reassured that everything will be ok with my joints in time.

Healing to all it will happen,

Sally  :angel:

Hi Miffed and everyone else,

Well from reading everyone's posts I am now more than before optimistic that this is w/d, which is a good thing for we know we will heal from that where if it had been caused from something else like arthritis for example - then we wouldn't.  Just by knowing that I'm not alone in having these sxs makes mine not frightening anymore.  Of course my mind had gone to the extremes of my having to have surgery on my elbow, that I would lose my elbow entirely, lose my arm, on and on to the worse extremes.  But now I'm reassured that everything will be ok with my joints in time.

Healing to all it will happen,

Sally  :angel:

Bliss Johns (Benzo Wise author) had the joint/bone pain too. She healed. She says she hears it all the time.

Hang in there.