MAJOR decision help

[Sk...]

:)Hey all

I'm so glad I have someone to talk with thats dealt with Benzo's thnx again

I guess this is what I'm looking at. People Ive been through hell and back!!! with psych meds :sick:, just trying to get feeling as good as I'm feeling right now!! I'm on 1mg klon. been on it for 10yrs. but compaired to how my life has been since 88 dealing with paxil, zyprexa, anti-dep.. Im feeling really good. I do know that if I could get off the Benzo's Id feel better. But Im sleeping pretty good, have friends, laugh, have some hobbies, so its not THAT bad.

What do you guys think of tapering off My klon over a period of lets say 3-4yrs. Just making minor cuts along the way then stabilizing. Ive read that the gaba problem does repair itsself while you are reducing benzo's. I know I could feel lots better off the clonzopam, I really don't want to ruin the progress Ive made so far, just getting TOO the klon and lithium.

3-4yr withdrawl program??? any thoughts thanx

take care Skeeter

Hi, Skeeter,

It's really up to you. It took me 9 months to get off my last .25 mg Klonopin, which is slow, and Genie describes herself as a "turtle taperer," so I don't see that there would be a problem with it. As long as you're always moving down and not up, you should be okay. But be aware that the end of the taper will be more difficult than the beginning, so you'll want to devise a taper schedule that has larger cuts up front and smaller ones at the end.

Yes, you are correct that your system does heal itself as you reduce the benzos. You don't have to wait until you are off.

Therese

3-4 yrs seems like a really long time to me - course i am no expert.

eventually no matter how long you wait will be hard.

i would try to limit it to one yr.

understand support is what is most beneficial - there are limits on counseling with insurance and some don't even have insurance - but some communities have free programs - and i will be using them.

As Silver suggested, you should not need 3-4 years to taper off 1.5mg Klonopin. Although a sizeable dose, it is far from large. I tapered off 4.5mg Klonopin over six months. That was probably too fast, but a year would have probably been more than enough time for me to have managed a sensible taper, if I'd known back then what I now know! ::)

I would think that you could anticipate tapering off in something like six months. If it takes longer, so be it. 3-4 years is unduly pessimistic.

Hello Skeeter :)

May I ask you why you are thinking about a 3-4 year taper? 

From what I understand from the members who have completed their taper and are benzo-free and from the Ashton Manual, that getting off benzos feels so much better than being on them.  Yes, unfortunately tapering involves some bad days, some bad nights, anxiety, aches and pains, and lots of other difficult w/d symptoms.  However, if you do a slow taper, the symptoms should be bearable.  Plus, having the support from onther on our website can really help you get through any tough times.

If your anxiety is high about tapering, perhaps you could do start off with a 5% tapering plan.  I just want you to feel better sooner rather than later. ;)

Maggie 

Hello Skeeter :)

May I ask you why you are thinking about a 3-4 year taper? 

From what I understand from the members who have completed their taper and are benzo-free and from the Ashton Manual, that getting off benzos feels so much better than being on them.  Yes, unfortunately tapering involves some bad days, some bad nights, anxiety, aches and pains, and lots of other difficult w/d symptoms.  However, if you do a slow taper, the symptoms should be bearable.  Plus, having the support from onther on our website can really help you get through any tough times.

If your anxiety is high about tapering, perhaps you could do start off with a 5% tapering plan.  I just want you to feel better sooner rather than later. ;)

Maggie

Thanx!!!  :)

I really dont want a 3 or 4 yr taper, like you said Im just paranoid and was trying to see if I could take that long. Hopefully it wont  :wacko:

Take Care Skeeter

and by the way mmm I cant let it go by lol  this guy looks likes he got some

serious anxiety issues!! lol     :yippee:

Edit: Skeeter, I've moved the closing quote tag so that your reply is not included within the quote. Try the help section (green menu bar) for help with forum functions. How to quite: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=help;page=post#quote

Skeeter,

Please know that it is sooo normal and natural to feel scard and paranoid about tapering :o  I think we all do.  I know I certainly had intense anxiety when I first started my taper. 

However, after I began my taper and had some success, my anxiety decreased some.  Still, everytime I make a cut, even a teeny-tiny one, I feel nervous and worry that I may not sleep that night. So, I believe being scard is just a normal emotion when we are tapering.  Just remember that your anxiety is no indication of your success.

I suggest you either try to do the 10% 1-2 week taper OR cut your dose a tiny bit at a time every few days. This second method usually works if you are taking Valium as it comes in the smallest doses (2mg). 

Good Luck!

Maggie