lorazepam withdrawal

[ta...]

I'd been suffering from bloating for months and had a ct scan and a colonoscopy. It was only when these tests failed to find anything wrong with my colon that I began to suspect the 1 - 1.5 mg of lorazepam I take for insomnia. I've been taking it for over three years. I quit cold turkey two weeks ago, and the bloating was much worse after 36 hours. I took 1 mg of lorazepam, and the bloating was much better after one hour. I've been taking .5 mg every twelve hours since then. I'm thinking of starting a liquid taper soon, taking it every eight hours. Besides bloating, my other symptoms are anxiety, restlessness and insomnia. I've probably developed tolerance and am suffering from inter-dose withdrawal. I'm interested in switching to Valium for tapering, and have been calling doctors' offices, but have been told, "We don't do that."

Hi taperinglorazepam,

Welcome to BenzoBuddie.

GI problems are very common with benzo use. From what you describe, your symptoms are probably benzo related, as you suspect.

I would suggest you print out the The Ashton Manual and see a doctor, eye to eye and explain what you would like. Many doctors will help you in that regard. I think it's too easy for a doctor to say "we don't do that" over the phone.

Our members will chime in soon with more help for you.

It's easier for forum members to help you if you create a signature so that we know exactly which medication you're on and how long you've been taking it, etc.

Please Click Here to learn how to create a signature.

Hope

Hi taperinglorazepam,

Yes, as Hope says, GI trouble seems to be common here.  Like you I went through a battery of testing including two colonoscopies in my 30's !

Glad you had the insight to suspect the lorazepam.

There is a lot of good support to be found here, glad you made it!

hbam