can u cold turkey an anti.d

[a2...]

[a2...]

such as elavil? im on 25-50mg for the last 2 months and dont like the crazy dreams and weight gain...i would like to stop asapss

any info appreciated xxxxjane

Most AD's need to be tapered.  I have been on Doxepin, which is a tricyclic AD like Elavil is.  I, however, still needed to taper Doxepin in order to come off of it without insomnia.

Sincerely,

fg

Hi Jane,

I replied to the thread you started in other medications.

It's better if you don't discontinue it abruptly. Please speak to your doctor about this, Jane.

Hope

Hi Jane,

I wouldn't do it.

After I finish my clonazepam taper, I'm going to do nothing for few months to give benzo brain time to build up. Then I'll begin my a.d. taper.  It probably won't be over a year like klonopin, but I'm in no hurry esp. if it means I'll be better off in the long run.

It took a while to get like this.  It'll take a while to recover.

Just me,

hbam

I have done it 4 times the first 2 times  were celexa 20mg once for 6months than stopped than again tried it after a month than tries effexor for 37.5 stopped and now tried prozac for 10 days horrible and stopped they all seem to make anxiety worse

Hi Janedoe,

I was on 50 mg of Doxepin from Sept of last year until Feb of this year. It made me have weird dreams and the weight gain was bad too and the constipation. My addiction doc who I no longer see wanted me to up the dosage from 50 mg to 150 mg. I said forget it. It was not working for me anymore, so I went cold turkey off of 50 mg.

My situation is a bit different because I am highly sensitive to a/d's and other meds. I also was taking lyrica at the time and I was able to take that for sleep if I needed it.

It took about 1 month to get it out of my system so if you've only been on it 2 months you'll probably be fine.

I'm not a doctor so please be careful and consider what is best for you.

I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I hope this helps.

Love,

Lou