How do I fix a doctor's advice?

[...]

I have two psych docs, one for my health plan and one private. Three weeks ago, I asked the health plan doc to recommend a plan to get me off Ativan (1mg once a day at bedtime, been on it 4 months). He said take .5mg for 5 days then stop. I did that and crashed on the second day of the med. Went back to 1 mg.

I asked my private doc to recommend a plan. He said stop taking .5 mg and wean off the other .5 over a 1 month period. I stopped taking the .5mg 5 days ago and did not sleep a wink last night. I took an extra .25 mg last night. So I had in my body .75 mg. But I still feel pretty bad. Should I ramp back up to 1mg and then use the slow taper you recommend?

Or should I try to tough it out at .75mg and then do the slow taper?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Hi,

Listen to your body. If you are suffering too much with these cuts, then yes, make smaller cuts. Most people would have a tough time tapering at the rate you been attempting. We have titration method that effectively allows you to divide your pills into small fractions; maybe you won't need it, but it's there in case: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/titration-tapers/titration-instructions!/msg55024/#msg55024

What dosage are your tablets? The smaller the dosage the smaller the cuts you can manage by pill-splitting.

I have the .5 mg tablets. I saw the titration taper and will start that when I get stablized again. I will probably be at 1 mg of Ativan when I start.

I ordered the 100ml container and have the syringe. So I am ready to go.

When you hit a brick wall like I did, I had to go back to my original dose. I assume the gradual taper is much more gentle with little withdrawal symtoms. Is that a fair assumption?

Yes. many report that they feel far better tapering using such a method. It cuts out the sudden reductions associated with pill-splitting.

Hi Dan

I got the same dumb advise from a GP, they have no idea what there talking about ,once your physically addicted, the rate of taper suggested is nuts. Slow is better but you'll still feel "off" while you taper.

Good luck

Bobers