Author Topic: How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?  (Read 93029 times)

[Buddie]

Re: How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 02:37:10 pm »
and peaches amper did a rapid withdrawal - not a cold turkey - although a rapid withdrawal could have some very devastating effects - we do not advocate it - amper does not advocate it.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 02:26:06 am »
Yeah, I guess it was like a rapid withdrawal, but as I think back on what I was taking and how I was taking the benzos, there was alternation every month or so between the alprazolam and the diazepam.   I finished with the diazepam and felt that I could jump off that at 40mgs.  Not a great thing to do, but a necessary one for me.  I still find myself in addict behavior, looking for some kind of pill to take to escape.  When I went back east to visit family for the holidays, I think that it was too soon after stopping the diazepam because it was a really raw experience and I almost lost my mind.  I put away a lot of bourbon in a very short period of time and it was necessary thing.   Not a pretty story, but it is the truth.   :o :o :o
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2008, 02:40:13 am »
so you didn't really do a cold turkey - there is a distinction - some people see you as this big success story of a cold turkey and my try to emulate your success.

so amper did you make a fool of yourself?  i benefit from travel - i sleep better in just about any bed but my own - and i actually get out and run around a lot to.  wish i was like that here. :-\

[Buddie]

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2008, 03:39:48 am »
Well, it was cold-turkey because the amount of alprazolam equalled the amount of diazepam.  I took 40mgs of diazepam to equal the 8mgs of alprazolam.  I did stop cold at 40mgs of diazepam [...] day, but because of the longer half-[...], it took almost 4 days to get sick.  I was breaking down with crying fits with the alprazolam (yes, girls... men DO cry!) and the diazepam never had that effect on me, so I knew I could take the plunge from the diazepam rather than the alprazolam.   8)

I didn't make a fool out of myself.   After being a benzo addict, getting loaded on alcohol is like child's play.  Besides, now when I take a drink or 2 or 3 or 4, I never drink anything cheap, so the effect is more pleasant and there is rarely a hangover.   I'm a pro.  :angel:

I slept in a beautiful soft bed that my aunt passed away in a few years ago.  We had some good talks at the house about aunt apparitions and a stuffed toy of hers that often goes off (plays music) when her grandaughter enters the house.  :angel: :angel: :angel:  Lots of running around in the cold and grocery shopping, plus an afternoon at the unheated (because of water in the basement) spiritualist church where mediums gave me 2 messages from the beyond... we even barbecued steaks one night in 30-degree weather. :crazy:

[Buddie]

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2008, 04:12:05 am »
sounds like you had a very interesting trip - i went to wisconsin and had a good time being with my son - his lady friends family even christmas eve and fixing dinner at my friends house - it was a different kind of holiday but it was fun.

i am recreating so much right now - must of it from my desk - but sometimes i jump feet first into reality.

[Buddie]

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 07:10:45 pm »
I was breaking down with crying fits with the alprazolam (yes, girls... men DO cry!)

I love a man who can cry. ;)

[Buddie]

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2008, 09:04:23 pm »
Crying is a good release.   I wish I could allow it to happen more often because it is very therapeutic.   I figure when one cries that it means you are very close to the real truth and are just about as open as you will ever get.  :'( :laugh:

[Buddie]

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 10:52:50 pm »
watch a sad movie - i feel kinda numb most of the time - maybe that is maturity - don't know.

[Buddie]

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:24 am »
Hi all,

I'm started to get the hang of this forum.

I spoke to a lady today, a mother of my friend, she did a cold turkey off xanax 19 years ago after severe xanax abuse. She said she was taking like 300 pills a week. :idiot:

She said she was in a de-tox center and given phenobarbitol and had protracted withdrawal symptoms FOR 14 MONTHS :crazy:
She runs a re-hab program now for women. She said she just "dealt " with the withdrawls.

Sounds terrible to me. She never heard of the Ashton manual, or a taper program. I explained my situatiion, am in taper, down from 3 mgs a day to 1.75, direct slow taper.

The first part, going down from 3-2 i did 2 years ago without consulting, my previous psychiatrist,he was kinda weird and wanted to increase my dose. ???

My current psychiatrist is kinda working with me, me doing most of the research and planning. I found a couple of recovery centers, near Atlanta, that sound promising. one does an out-patient taper and the doctor is a psychiatrist/addictionologist. They have a very compassionate philosophy, and I'm hoping to get a second opinion from them .
I am not sure if they will accept my insurance. however.

Actually they seem to hod out the most hope and seem to have the expertise, that my kind, local psychiatrist doesn't seem to have. She is rather young for one thing.

Another of the recovery centers, which does take my insurance, uses Tranzene to de-tox/transfer. The counselotr I spoke to said that it was not an uncomfortable process.

Does anyone know about Tranzene? She said it takes away xanax cravings and I would get out-patient support after I did a week or so of in-patient.

I really appreciate you folks. Am open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks, Peaches

Sorrry i got the [...] and [...] names mixed up. I am a little mixed up right now

[Buddie]

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 06:40:24 am »
Tranxene is just another benzo.  Putting benzos in place of other benzos in rehab won't stop withdrawals.   :wacko: