Author Topic: How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?  (Read 161757 times)

[Buddie]

Re: How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?
« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2018, 02:20:38 pm »
This was originally posted as a reply to this thread: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=5660.0

Strictly, it will not be earlier doses that are processed, but just a proportion of the amount of drug you have in your system. It just depends on the particular molecule coming into contact with your metabolic processes. So, it is all chance, and probability. But since there are huge numbers of these drug molecules floating around our system, we can predict how much (a proportion) of the drug is metabolised over a period of time. The only problem is that it varies from person-to-person. The usual way to describe this is how long it takes for half of the drug to be metabolised (assuming that you have stopped taking additional doses), we can work out the amount fairly simply. This will be expressed as a range because of our individual differences. So, Valium will take between 36-200 hours for half of it to be metabolised. Of what's remaining, half of that will be metabolised after a further 36-200 hours. So, you will have a quarter left in your system after 72-400 hours. The maths is as follows:

Since we cannot know our individual rates of metabolisation, we will have to instead calculate a range of possibilities. In the case of Valium, that's 36-200 hours. To calculate how much is left in our system, say, after 6 days:

144 hours in 6 days, divide by 36 hours, equals 4. (144/36=4). - This is our power.

Half-[...] (0.5) to the power of 4, equals 0.0625 (as a decimal). Multiply this by 100 to express it as a percentage, equals 6.25%. This is how much is left in our bodies after six days, assuming that we metabolise Valium at a half-[...] rate of 36 hours.

Now, if we instead assume that we metabolise Valium at half-[...] rate of 200 hours, then: 144 hours in six days, divide by 200 hours (144/200=0.72). This is our power!

Half-[...] (0.5) to the power of 0.72, equals 0.607 (as a decimal) Again, we multiply by 100 to gain a percentage figure, equals 60.7%.

So, you see, even after just six days, the range of possible blood levels is very large, and the gap grows even larger with more time.

Again (more succinctly):

6 days; half-[...] 36-200 hours

6x24=144 hours

144/36=4 (for a half-[...] of 36 hours)

0.54=0.0625

= 6.25%

144/200=0.72 (for a half-[...] of 200 hours)

0.50.72=0.607

= 60.7%

Range = 6.25 to 60.7%.

Another example:

Clonazepam; 2 days and 6 hours; half-[...] 18-50 hours

(2x24)+6=54 hours

54/18=3 (for a half-[...] of 18 hours)

0.53=0.125

= 12.5%

54/50=1.08 (for a half-[...] of 50 hours)

0.51.08=0.473

= 47.3%

Range after 54 hours: 12.5 to 47.3%

So, we can calculate possible ranges, but I don't think it really tells us anything, apart from our individual metabolic rates has huge effects upon our meds. Because of this variability, two people on the same benzo, at the same dose, can expect to have very different blood levels, even when not withdrawing!

As a matter of interest, the possible range for Valium left in our system after 30 days is: 0.000095% (that must be undetectable) to 8.25% (that must be easily detectable). This difference is enormous. Knowing this probably doesn't help any of us though.
Where should I ask about Serax? Most here are not on them and its hard to get answers. I cant say I fullt understand this explanation about "halflife". I would be gratefull if I could get an answer on this :
I know Serax is a short [...]. I dont know if my tapper is to fast (have a lot of withdrawal and feel awfull). I went from 20- 25 mg to 10 mg in a week. Then 5 mg in four days, then 2.5 mg. Im on 2.5 mg since 10 days and some days are just horrible. Should I go back a bit? I have no clue what to do. Thanks
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2018, 06:56:55 am »
Hi, guess this is in the wrong spot, but I did have MTHFR test run and it said I had two copies of the same mutation 3677t.   What does this mean, does anyone know?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #272 on: October 05, 2018, 08:19:53 pm »
So with all this talk of half [...] etc, benzos being stored in the body has me confused. If one is tapering and there is a perceived shortfall by the body, surely the stored stuff would be utilised?

[Buddie]

« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:23 pm »
My question is, if you take Activated Charcoal ...would that remove the Benzo quicker?

[Buddie]

« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2019, 06:54:34 pm »
[...] - I know Benzos are fat soluble, and probably get stored in fat cells too.  And our brain's first love is really fats.  I'm wondering if not activated charcoal, maybe doing more healthier fats like olive oil, [...] oil, etc. would help the process.  Fats are processed in the liver, as are the benzos, so liver 'turnover' if you will....?    That may be another reason why exercise is consistently said to improve symptoms because it revs up metabolism a bit.  Hopefully I'm making sense.   Any thoughts?

[Buddie]

« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2019, 12:03:24 am »
Only that, that was a good post [...].

Does being really skinny make a difference?  Like, I have no fat. 

I'm am maths challenged. 

[...] x

[Buddie]

« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2019, 01:04:36 am »
I can't speak for any other drug but I've read a LOT about clonazepam, and at least one study I remember said 13+ days.  It's gone from most people's system around 13+ days, and occasionally shows up a bit longer, like 21 days.   

So rather than go by half-[...] math or anything like that I figured the detection study was good enough.   But that's just my own assumption.

Keep in mind that drugs that slow your metabolism might prolong this, but maybe just by a few days?  As the Ashton manual, I believe, talks about.  Certain antidepressants etc. I'm on one now that definitely seems to have that effect - Mirtazapine.   

I wish I could say I'm a chemist or something to back up what I'm saying but I'm not, nor is my memory perfect since I read that stuff quite a few years ago, so as always do your own reading and research and use the best most updated information you can, your best judgement, etc. I'm sure the vast majority of you here are really smart, praying the best for all of you in Jesus Name. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2019, 12:19:19 am »
Yeah I have to agree with all the posts here. I would think a lot of us may look at our bottles and pill counts until the next script is due.
I will speak for myself, I have looked at the bottle and felt " just go ahead and have nice day ", but then all of the sudden I think I am going to run out and I would not like asking my Doctor for an early script as I taper. It's hard, but I would never just say the hell with it and take my last pills and go cold turkey. That was a bold move and one you may pay for dearly. I don't know. I am not coming down on you. I would never do that to anybody. I have been in that position as I said and have up dosed, but not like that I would have to leave something till the next script. I [...] you are going to be okay. I know it's tough and you want that peace, but at the same time you broke the plan and only you will have decide whether it was worth it or not. It doesn't matter what any of us tell you or suggest.

Peace, Love, Happiness
DG

[Buddie]

« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2019, 10:47:33 am »
[...] you are so right.!  Tempting to take enough to get free of symptoms and have a chilled day, and psyche said take as much as you need and no need to come off!
So how do we cope with months of vertigo, headache , nausea and diarrhoea?
Why do we bother when we could be run over by a truck tomorrow ?

I thought I was on 17.5 of Diaz and now 9th day on just 15mg. Itís pretty dire after 43 years on benzos. ( I then realised I had been cheating most days so really dropped from over 20 to fifteen.)
And another 26 weeks minimum of symptoms. 
I dare not tell the family as they say just take the stuff!  Perhaps they have a point.

So how does one overcome this desire to be out of all ( not suicidal) and keep going ?
Rant overó- thanks for being there
Dick

[Buddie]

« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2019, 07:55:14 pm »
In Australia at least, staying on the crap is not an option as it's becoming much more difficult to obtain it. Not to mention the tolerance issue..so there's really no choice but to quit asap for me