Author Topic: How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?  (Read 93231 times)

[Buddie]

Re: How long does it take for ATIVAN (LORAZAPEM) to leave your system?
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »
Can you do some calculations for me.  I would greatly appreciate.
Was on 2mg (total)  LORAZAPEM  (ativan) one month
did .25mg taper and 5 days later another .25mg.
Current daily dosage is 1.50mg.
Q- If I do another .25mg taper this week - how much has left the system.
What is the 1/2 [...] of each withdrawal.  When is it totally removed?
Thanks for the math help and insight for us on ATIVAN/ LORAZAPEM
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
[...],

It is not possible to calculate this for you - there are too many unknowns, and the simplified model is an approximation anyway. The real point of my opening post is to demonstrate that: 1) it is not possible to calculate blood levels within an individual (half-[...] values differ greatly within individuals, and the resulting blood levels can vary hugely, especially with long half-[...] benzodiazepines; 2) in the final analysis, even if we knew the blood levels, it is of little significance. Even with with a long half-[...] benzodiazepine, blood levels are likely to have dropped to undetectable levels within a month (sooner, if you have gradually tapered off).
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:35 am »
Left my system completely

[Buddie]

« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:26 pm »
if you have taken benzos for years at a high rate say 3mg xanax a day, you hold mind an body is run by it, so stopping it your reseting your body to where it was, it may take 1 week for the xanax to be out yout blood but not your mind and body you could still be haveing body an mind disfunction for years. that is why a lot of people fail withdrawl :'(

[Buddie]

« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:32 pm »
Hello [...],

Certainly, it is advisable to taper slowly from sizable and higher doses of benzodiazepines, especially if they have been taken for an extended period of time. Indeed, it can be dangerous to taper rapidly from benzodiazpines (risk of status epilepticus seizures - such seizures can result in death or brain damage). In addition, very many people suffer very troubling and intense withdrawal symptoms by following a rapid taper regimen. A gradual taper can help moderate such symptoms.

There is great variability in the taper rate that can be comfortably tolerated from individual-to-individual. So long as the taper rate is not so fast as to be potentially dangerous, taper at a rate that feels reasonably comfortable to you. I usually suggest (after extended use of benzodiazepines), in the first instance, cut no more than about 10% of your dose. After a week or two, try another cut of similar size. According to how you feel, you can always shorten the interval between doses, or lengthen the time if need be. These suggestions mirror the suggested taper schedules published by Prof. Ashton. And, of course, you should always consult with your doctor before making any changes to your medication regimen.

[Buddie]

« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2012, 04:59:14 am »
Half [...]?

[Buddie]

« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2012, 03:21:25 am »
Half-[...] is the time required for any specified property (e.g., benzodiazepine in the body) to decrease by half.

Here is a chart of different half-lifes of benzos
http://www.non-benzodiazepines.org.uk/equivalents.html

What I think is important to know about half-[...] is that if it's short like xanax, you may you have interdose (between doses - during the day between two doses) withdrawal symptoms when you are near the end of your taper.

With diazepam, valium or klonopin, the half-[...] is considered long enough that you can taper all the way to near zero without interdose with drawals.

hth,
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »
SO HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR XANAX TO GET OUT YOUR SYSTEM

[Buddie]

« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »
Hi Nay,

It doesn't really matter much how long it takes to "get out of your system."  Symptoms won't go away "once its out of your system".

Your gaba receptors need time to heal, which takes longer than just having the drug out of your system.  How long that takes is different for everyone.  You will get better with time.

[Buddie]

« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2013, 02:28:06 pm »
Thank you so much for sending the formula.  My confusion do I use the last tapered amount .05mg lorazapem on Jan 1 to run my calculations?  I stopped on January 15.  A year prior I was on 2gr Lorazapam.
The calculation is paramount as I need to start differentiating what symptoms are withdrawal vs what are from Lyme disease.  My doctor is withholding IV treatment for cognitive lyme issues until I come up with an approximate calculation how long. I had initially eye twitch and burning that never happened unless I was withdrawing.  Off the list for needing more severe IV treatment.  However, vivid dreams...since loraz withdrawal, trying to get an idea - how long protracted symptoms.  I can happily wait for all to calm down but need to have some kind of calculation so the doctor doesn't hit me up with unnecessary IV.  Your help again is most appreciated.