What gets up through the hard times?

[ma...]

Hello All :),

Just wondering if the members could share what gets them thru the rough patches?  What do you hold on to?  What provides strength and comfort?

Maggie

Hey Mags:

Wow thats a tough one, for me I guess, tenacity to get off the "crap" anger at "IT" not me, the desire to feel better, I always told myself the way I felt wasnt my fault, and all the creepy feelings were drug induced, a day by day attitude, relishing the days I felt good, but being totally aware that the next day could be lousy, dont get too high and dont get to low. Remembering what I felt like during cold turkey and saying compared to that this is a picnic. thats all I guess I can remember for now.

Take care

Bobers

Hey Mags:

Wow thats a tough one, for me I guess, tenacity to get off the "crap" anger at "IT" not me, the desire to feel better, I always told myself the way I felt wasnt my fault, and all the creepy feelings were drug induced, a day by day attitude, relishing the days I felt good,

That's great that you can seperate the drug and it's "creepy feelings" from who YOU are.  I need to try to take on that belief and not personalize/blame myself.

Great Advice!!!! :yippee:

Maggie

• 3 weeks later...

good music

good friends

watching desperate housewives

i have a very strong spiritual beliefs - i believe i am cared for and loved beyond what i can see or hear.

• 1 month later...
This forum and the kindness and understanding of you all help me get through the rough times.  In addition, it is the soul sharing that each person gives to each other...who else would share these kinds of things with strangers.  If anything that is one good thing about benzodiazepine withdrawal.  It forces us to be totally honest about who we are in our spirits and souls with each other.  Thank you Colin and moderators for your support and help.  And thank you members for the very same thing.  Janus

My response is similar to Bobers'.

I had faith that the feelings I had were the w/d and not me. I would remember the "good" windows I had and repeat to myself Prof. Ashton's words: "If you felt good once (during your taper), you will feel that way again." I also read the Benzodiazepine Recovery Tips (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/benzo-chat/benzo-recovery-tips/msg51528/#msg51528) over and over to give myself hope that my taper was not unusual and that I would get through it, like so many others.

I also often thought of the fact that I began my taper on the feast of St. Maximilian Kolbe, the patron saint of chemical addiction. I took that as a sign that God was with me on this, since things just happened to work out that way--I didn't plan it.

Like Bobers, I also compared myself to how I felt during my too-rapid taper and realized this was much better.