My experience- Z Pack (aka Azithromycin)

[Pe...]

My outer ear infection that started 3 months or so ago never completely went away with the Mupirocin ointment I was prescribed.  We tried two courses of that one.  My doctor and I chose Mupirocin ointment because all of the ear drops used to treat this contain either a fluoroquinolone, a steroid, or both.

I had read here on BBs that at least one other member cleared theirs up with a Z Pack.  So this last doctors visit I asked for the same.  I mentioned that I wanted to avoid anything that ended in ‘mycin’  due to their ototoxicity since I was still dealing with tinnitus.  The nurse practitioner then said- oh, this one is Azithromycin.  I replied- oh…it ends in ’mycin.’  She then said but this one has really negligible ototoxicity.  I let her write the script and decided to ask the pharmacist.  The pharmacist said the same thing so against my better judgment I took it that night.

I woke up with severe vertigo and almost cracked my head open falling down as soon as I got up.  I decided to take it one more night (big mistake) to see what would happen and 4 hours after taking the second dose the vertigo intensified and my vision began to jump wildly.  It reminded me of a movie projector when the film gets stuck but the motor continues to try to feed it through causing the image on the screen to rapidly jump up and down repeatedly. ..pretty terrifying.

Of course I looked it up in the medical library as soon as it calmed down enough for me to read and was shocked to see that the macrolide antibiotics (the ones ending in ‘mycin’) can cause a condition known as ‘oscillopsia’.  In this condition the vision ‘oscillates’ and is a direct result from taking this type of drug.

So now my Doc ordered me to stop the Azithromycin and switch to Amoxicillin.

Just wanted to post this to warn others of the potential consequences with macrolide antibiotics.

Is it possible that the vertigo you experienced was not from the ear infection itself? Perhaps traveling to your middle ear? Vertigo is not a usual adverse effect of Z-pak; and it is a very different kind of -mycin than the ototoxic variety.

Let me explain:

Azithromycin is a Macrolide antibiotic

Gentimicin is an Aminoglycoside antibiotic

It is the Aminoglycosides that end in "micin" that have the most ototoxicity potential. They both end with the same sound, but please note the spelling I have emboldened for you.

Azithromycin - ototoxicity uncommon

Gentimicin - notorious for ototoxicity

It is the aminoglycosides, the ones ending in two "i"'s, that can be especially ototoxic, but Azithromycin isn't even an Aminoglycoside at all; it's a Macrolide. I actually have a true traditional allergy to micins such as Gentimicin that results in hives and so cannot take it, but I can take a Macrolide such as Azithromycin without incidient, and it is my inner/middle ear that has given me the most hell during my benzo journey, so I am very sensitive ototoxic drugs.

(And ototoxic drugs are more prevalent than you might think: most blood pressure medications such as beta blockers and calcium channel blockers are extremely ototoxic - probably moreso than a Macrolide antibiotic such as Z-pak, but maybe less so than an aminoglycoside such as Gentimicin)

Now after that explanation, I also wanted to mention that ear infections can, in and of themselves, cause severe vertigo and balance problems when they travel to your middle or inner ear. Even nausea & vomiting from such severe dizziness. Regardless of whether one is on a benzo, it truly seems like it is a 50/50 shot with whether or not you will experience side effects from Z-pak----but when people do experience side effects from it, the side effects experienced aren't primarily vertigo....they're usually weird nervousness, GI and anxiety symptoms. At least, that's what I have seen when I researched this drug to death before going on it. I haven't heard of Z-pak being routinely prescribed (or effective) for ear infections, but I'm not sure. Usually, the most common type of antibiotic for ear infections are cillins such as the Amoxicillin. Glad to hear you are on and getting the infection under control. I hope it clears it up for you soon.

As for anyone else in need of this medication, please make sure you actually have an infection before taking it, because it tends to make things worse if you actually don't have an infection. And, it just seems that generally speaking, and regardless of benzo withdrawal, people either have bad side effects from Z-pak or they tolerate it very well independently of benzo issues. And this makes perfect sense, because Z-pak does not affect the GABA receptors.

magnollie,

While I understand what you are saying regarding vertigo symptoms and the middle/inner ear- my infection is restricted to the outer ear.  Besides, even if the infection were to spread it certainly would not account for the oscillopsia.

Additionally, my research conflicts with your claims regarding macrolide antibiotic ototoxicity.  I have posted some links to various articles from the medical libraries (PubMed) and an article from the American Hearing Research Foundation for your consideration.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/24/1/76.full.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12422460

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16610968

http://american-hearing.org/disorders/bilateral-vestibulopathy/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10778901

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ototoxicity#Antibiotics

In the spirit of debating these types of things, it is important to point out that these reactions are rare- however they become more prominent in cases where the balance mechanisms (meaning  the cerebellum and/or the afferent inputs from the prioproceptors and the ocular and auditory systems) are already compromised.  I also suspect, as you alluded, that perhaps one may be more susceptible during benzo usage/recovery to ototoxic effects due to this compromisation.

I wrote a paper and posted it on my blog way back discussing the ototoxic effects of drugs and am aware of all of the various drugs on the market which have this characteristic.  However it never hurts to repeat this information for the benefit of people just now finding out about this topic and therefore I appreciate you providing information on the beta and calcium channel blockers. :thumbsup:

I didn't say that Macrolides were not ototoxic. I said their ototoxicity was rare. Much more uncommon than ototoxicity induced from more common medications like blood pressure meds.

It also depends on which part of the balance systems are affected. Gentimicin is particularly "evil" because it affects most of the inner ears quite intensely - balance, hearing, etc. Injected into the eardrum, its ototoxic properties shut down the balance systems of the ear, which is a desirable effect in people with Meniere's Disease....but it's like a last resort thing. I am sure you already know that, you seem well educated, and I'm not trying to say that your vertigo attack could not have been induced by the Z-pak. I'm saying if it was, that's a very rare side effect.

Most meds that are ototoxic usually result in types of deafness and tinnitus, the ones that cause balance problems are usually the worst (such as the aminoglycosides)

I was surprised to hear you had the reaction because I hadn't heard of anyone else react that way, and since my biggest problems are with my ears and balance systems, I did not have any adverse effects with the MAcrolides. I usually react inensely to anything remotely ototoxic since being on benzos. But that doesn't mean it can't happen to anyone else, just because it didn't happen to me. I'd say I was lucky to not have that happen.

Blood pressure meds on the other hand are more notorious for causing mild tinnitus.

Benzos are quite ototoxic in that they impair the vestibular part of the brain, the most important part of the brain responsible for balance.

As a University Scholar..... I too have written papers on the issue as my ears, balance were most affected by benzo withdrawal. I'm pretty bitter about it. :( Without my balance, I have anxiety driving my car, getting around a store and looking at items on shelves. My ears are trashed by benzos. I never had these problems prior to benzo use. I get ear pressure and fullness, tnnitus, pulsatile tinnitis, Tullio's phenomenon, dizziness, HPPD type distortions, vertigo spells and the worst - severe hyperacusis. I always tell myself, if this hyperacusis turns out to be permanent, I have no reservations in inducing deafness and learning sign language.

Anyway, I hope you let your doctor know that perhaps prescribing you such a powerful antibiotic that is not first line for outer ear infections was negligent. It pi$$es me off to no end when doctors are so negligent.

I am about three weeks out from a ruptured appendix.  I was given introveneous antibiotics for 5 days in the hospital and oral antibiotics for a week following once home. I couldn't tell you which or how much I was given.

About a week after the last antibiotic I was hit with severe vertigo and nausea.  the first night I was walking into walls and while it has improved it feels as though there is fluid in my head, my balance is off and I'm frequently nauseas.

So the question is, is it possible to feel this way as a result of substantial antibiotics used but not for over a week?

Hi Pers.  So good to see you again.  So sorry to hear about your mom.  Sending my best thoughts your way.

WWWI

I have been on Z Pac and Amoxicillin.

Ear infects as well for me. Yes they can cause the Vertigo and Nausea. I also was hit with intense burning stinging skin with pain to my muscles while taking this. It last as long as 3 months on one occasion. I am now on Amoxil 1600 mils a day for a very severe double ear infect. and being I'm so much futher down the line in time since my C/T began .I only have a bit of burning skin and muscle pain nothing to bad tho.

Sorry WWW ur going thru this and you to Sweet P...Oh BTW Sweet P so nice to see you :)

~Jenny

magnollie,

I picked up on your intelligence and was pretty straight forward with you solely in an attempt to get down to brass tacks.  I see brilliance coming through in your postings and truly think you will be a huge asset to this forum.  Please accept my sincerest apologies if my intentions were mistaken in any way.  I also apologize in advance for the length of this reply- but I wanted to talk with on you a few things.

I agree whole heartedly that the ignorance in the medical community surrounding the benzodiazepine issues seems inexcusable, to say the least.  However we must keep in mind that negligence and ignorance are two separate issues.  Hopefully we can use our findings to help educate our physicians and promote awareness without question by using credible research to back up our postulations.

The points you brought up are indeed valid regarding the difference in degree of severity between macrolides and Aminoglycosides with respect to ototoxicity.  What I have found is that the latter can cause permanent damage and the former is limited to temporary effects.  There was one clinical case in the links I previously posted that showed a possible permanent case in relation to macrolide usage…however IMHO this case must be weighed against the fact that the adverse otological effects generally tend to diminish over time- which can span up to several years in toto.

I have worn many hats in my time and one of my degrees is in American Sign Language.  I was an Electrical Engineer but this was something I became interested in while taking a class to fulfill one of my electives.  As a result I have many deaf friends and can tell you first hand that life becomes incredibly difficult when the ease of communication with the world disappears.  The deaf community is isolated in more ways than you may imagine and the obstacles they face on a daily basis are incomprehensible to the hearing population.

If there was a possibility of future hearing loss to the extent that sign language would become a necessity it is always best to learn the language while you still have your hearing.  Most of my instructors in the first year were hearing and therefore the classes were geared toward hearing persons who wished to become interpreters- only advanced classes had deaf instructors.

We did have one person in the beginning that was losing her hearing and attempting to learn sign language before it was gone, however her hearing was so diminished she could not understand/keep up with the classes and eventually dropped out of the program.

I had to deal with balance issues for the majority of my first year in benzo withdrawal, which finally did subside- so there is hope and my advice is to hold onto that hope.  In my studies on benzos effects on the balance mechanisms I did not find a stitch of research claiming permanent damage from benzodiazepines to any of the related structures/functions of the vestibular balance mechanisms and would be greatful if you could provide me links to any research to the contrary.

I too was quite pi$$ed after this latest fiasco happened to me, especially when there were other more effective choices available with less ototoxic risk.  The fact that I mentioned the tinnitus should have raised a red flag and the macrolides should have been thrown out at that point- so I understand your anger as this was a huge setback for me in my 18th month of recovery.

Having to deal with symptoms that make the simplest of tasks seem monumental on a daily basis is difficult enough without the nagging frustration of knowing the whole thing could have been avoided if only physicians were better informed on the very drugs for which they prescribe.

However I will never forget my Doctors expression once he truly realized the suffering induced by the very benzos he prescribed were real.  He was ingnorant, yes…but not negligent- for had he known he never would have kept my prescription going.  Since my case he has revamped their benzo prescribing guidelines and is working at convincing longtime prescription patients that these drugs can potentially cause them serious quality of life issues if they continue usage.

Doctors will and should not take random internet pseudo science seriously as it would compromise the integrity of the system on the whole.  Therefore you can help get the word out by presenting your papers/scientific medical findings to your immediate physicians.  Indisputable evidence is, well..indisputable and you could help many by doing this.

Don’t give up hope on your own recovery from these symptoms.  If your symptoms were the sole result of benzo withdrawal I have yet to find credible research to indicate that these symptoms would be permanent.  From your signature it appears you may be having these sx’s from tolerance WD and therefore you may have a prolonged period after discontinuation of the drug to contend with.

Sx’s which involve the vestibular system can be the last to clear up for many judging from what I have seen on this forum, but as I stated before I have not found one shred of evidence that benzos cause irreversible damage.  Again, If you have information to the contrary, I would appreciate it if you would post your findings here…other wise the prognosis looks good, however sadly it may be a long recovery period.

WWWI-

I read bits and pieces about your appendix ordeal and was curious about certain aspects of your hospital stay.  I thought I read something about the hospital denying you the benzo you were tapering from- and if that is correct your nausea/balance issues could be from the abrupt discontinuation which may be something to consider.

However certain antibiotics effects can appear for a period of time after discontinuation so depending on which antibiotics were used this could be a potential factor.

I am in utter disbelief at the amount of suffering doled out to you and you are in my prayers.

Thank you for mentioning my Mom.  This has been a difficult period of time for my family for sure.

Jenny-

So generous of you to continue to stick around and offer your knowledge and support- you are truly one of a kind.  I also wonder if had I not been so far into my own recovery if the adverse effects would have been potentially more pronounced.

So many opportune infections around here…this also ties into the effects on the HPA Axis which directly influences immune capabilities-in my view this points a great amount of suspicion to that area.

I do not spend a whole lot of time doing research any more, but if I did this would have been another area I would have left no stone unturned, lol.

Well, let’s hope the Amoxicillin is a winner for us both!

magnollie,

I picked up on your intelligence and was pretty straight forward with you solely in an attempt to get down to brass tacks.  I see brilliance coming through in your postings and truly think you will be a huge asset to this forum.  Please accept my sincerest apologies if my intentions were mistaken in any way.  I also apologize in advance for the length of this reply- but I wanted to talk with on you a few things.

Thank you, I am enjoying waxing intellectual on this stuff with you. I don't know everything though. The ear stuff-- it's my soft spot.

I agree whole heartedly that the ignorance in the medical community surrounding the benzodiazepine issues seems inexcusable, to say the least.  However we must keep in mind that negligence and ignorance are two separate issues.  Hopefully we can use our findings to help educate our physicians and promote awareness without question by using credible research to back up our postulations.

This is only helpful if the doctor is not one of those kinds who can do no wrong with an egotistical attitude, but yes, I agree. First and foremost, validation must come after education, unless the physician voluntarily refuses to accept the education. I've found that to be the case with a lot of my former docs.  :tickedoff:

The points you brought up are indeed valid regarding the difference in degree of severity between macrolides and Aminoglycosides with respect to ototoxicity.  What I have found is that the latter can cause permanent damage and the former is limited to temporary effects.  There was one clinical case in the links I previously posted that showed a possible permanent case in relation to macrolide usage…however IMHO this case must be weighed against the fact that the adverse otological effects generally tend to diminish over time- which can span up to several years in toto.
absolutely. You know your stuff!

I have worn many hats in my time and one of my degrees is in American Sign Language.  I was an Electrical Engineer but this was something I became interested in while taking a class to fulfill one of my electives.  As a result I have many deaf friends and can tell you first hand that life becomes incredibly difficult when the ease of communication with the world disappears.  The deaf community is isolated in more ways than you may imagine and the obstacles they face on a daily basis are incomprehensible to the hearing population.

If there was a possibility of future hearing loss to the extent that sign language would become a necessity it is always best to learn the language while you still have your hearing.  Most of my instructors in the first year were hearing and therefore the classes were geared toward hearing persons who wished to become interpreters- only advanced classes had deaf instructors.

We did have one person in the beginning that was losing her hearing and attempting to learn sign language before it was gone, however her hearing was so diminished she could not understand/keep up with the classes and eventually dropped out of the program.

I have indeed considered learning it already, as when I was in the near zero doses of K, when I did venture out I couldnt stand even normal commotion such as what you would hear in a grocery store. So I never went out by the time Igot to zero, it was all too much, even normal soft sounds. after reinstating,it's been dampened down, so I tolerate more sounds, but I know it's underneath the Valium. So I go out in the middle of the night, but that's not really conducive to a healthy lifestyle. (Benzos have turned me into a complete vampire). When I do go out, no matter the time, I wear earplugs due to the hyperacusis. It's mild now, like I said, but we know why. I know that this is not good to do, as wearing earplugs can actually worsen the hyperacusis - at least in individuals with traditionally "sound shock" induced hyperacusis - but since mine is obviously caused by withdrawal I am just being extra cautious. The hyperacusis is the debilitating sx for me of all my ear problems.

I had to deal with balance issues for the majority of my first year in benzo withdrawal, which finally did subside- so there is hope and my advice is to hold onto that hope.  In my studies on benzos effects on the balance mechanisms I did not find a stitch of research claiming permanent damage from benzodiazepines to any of the related structures/functions of the vestibular balance mechanisms and would be greatful if you could provide me links to any research to the contrary.
I have no research to the contrary of balance problems becoming permanent. I never thought they would, actually. When I got down to zero milligrams of Klonopin, my balance actually began to correct itself. It was the hyperacusis that lingered and crippled me daily.

There is plenty of research, however that Tinnitus can be a permanent symptom. It's been noted that a lot of symptoms that tend to linger and never go away are those associated with the Peripheral Nervous System, which IMO are little annoyances such as tinnitus, localized muscle twitches (fasciculations), stuff like that. However - and this is important to me - tinnitus is known to be associated with Hyperacusis. I can deal with tinnitus. It's just annoying. But the hyperacusis? I can't deal with that for the rest of my life. I would rather go deaf.

New England Journal of Medicine discusses protracted Tinnitus, suggesting that it may become a permanent symptom and even suggests low dose of Valium indefinitely for its treatment - not saying I agree with it, but here's the literature: http://www.benzo.org.uk/busto.htm

Now because tinnitus often co-exists with hyperacusis, this makes me a little nervous. Additionally, I am a member of a hyperacusis forum, and at least three of the members there developed hyperacusis after stopping a benzodiazepine with no other possible cause. At least two of those people have been benzo free for about 3 years. The hyperacusis has lessened, sure, but it's still there, making me even more nervous.

I too was quite pi$$ed after this latest fiasco happened to me, especially when there were other more effective choices available with less ototoxic risk.  The fact that I mentioned the tinnitus should have raised a red flag and the macrolides should have been thrown out at that point- so I understand your anger as this was a huge setback for me in my 18th month of recovery.

Having to deal with symptoms that make the simplest of tasks seem monumental on a daily basis is difficult enough without the nagging frustration of knowing the whole thing could have been avoided if only physicians were better informed on the very drugs for which they prescribe.

Agreed. But what to do when doctors are so pig headed and stubborn?

However I will never forget my Doctors expression once he truly realized the suffering induced by the very benzos he prescribed were real.  He was ingnorant, yes…but not negligent- for had he known he never would have kept my prescription going.  Since my case he has revamped their benzo prescribing guidelines and is working at convincing longtime prescription patients that these drugs can potentially cause them serious quality of life issues if they continue usage.
This is fortunate. Have you considered sharing your doctor with www.benzodocs.com? I know the guy who operates the site; have known him for years now. He's a very nice man, and the site does need an update. I truly wish more people would share with us their doctors who were supportive of a slow taper and/or aware of the Ashton Manual.

Doctors will and should not take random internet pseudo science seriously as it would compromise the integrity of the system on the whole.  Therefore you can help get the word out by presenting your papers/scientific medical findings to your immediate physicians.  Indisputable evidence is, well..indisputable and you could help many by doing this.
I don't really think the data I found on the Internet is pseudo science... usually it is written by scholars much more entitled than myself. I'm actually studying law, but I've taken a few medical courses when I didn't know what I was going to do with my life (actually wanted to go into Veterinary medicine at one point, and at another I wanted to fly helicopters.... after settling on law, I now despise its strong association with politics, so who knows what I am going to do).

Don’t give up hope on your own recovery from these symptoms.  If your symptoms were the sole result of benzo withdrawal I have yet to find credible research to indicate that these symptoms would be permanent.  From your signature it appears you may be having these sx’s from tolerance WD and therefore you may have a prolonged period after discontinuation of the drug to contend with.

I'm definitely in tolerance WD. It is no stranger to me. I'm waiting to get my script changed to 2mg strengths for easier cutting, then I'll begin. Again. Ugh.

Sx’s which involve the vestibular system can be the last to clear up for many judging from what I have seen on this forum, but as I stated before I have not found one shred of evidence that benzos cause irreversible damage.  Again, If you have information to the contrary, I would appreciate it if you would post your findings here…other wise the prognosis looks good, however sadly it may be a long recovery period.

Again... the tinnitus. Although if the tinnitus is manifesting as a peripheral nervous system side effect, that would make perfect sense as like I said from speaking to people who have gone on to heal, many do say they have some little annoying s/x hanging around. It is usually one that is associated with the PNS. Which are usually not bothersome and do lessen significantly with time.

Crossing fingers here that the protracted (permanent?) tinnitus has no correlation to any kind of permanent hyperacusis. eek.

How is your outer ear infection? I bet the Amox is clearing it right up. I did notice Amox takes its good old time to clear things up but it always does for me. (except a recent bout of Strep - for some reason I needed something much stronger for that). The Strep was actually the reason I reinstated. I probably could have toughed it out despite being acutely ill in the last leg of my long K taper. But the docs chalked my sore throat and high fever up to a virus. When in fact I just had a cillin resistant strain.

:smitten: M

magnollie,

This article was written in the 80’s, the decade when members of the medical community began to actively investigate the benzodiazepine discontinuation syndrome and thus a few things are out of date- however with that said, the bulk of the article is still relevant by todays standards.

One thing that is out of date which pertains directly to our subject matter is the recovery timeline.  The time period defining normal vs protracted changed after the observations provided by Professor Ashton at her benzodiazepine clinic, who observed a 6-18 month recovery period to be the norm and protracted cases were then considered to be anything over the 18 month mark.

This article only stated that the symptoms were still present 6 months after discontinuation in one case, but provided no other follow up to indicate that this was a permanent condition or whether or not the tinnitus resolved after this point.

It is worthwhile to mention the article drew attention to the fact that tinnitus lasting for more than 12 weeks to 6 months tended to be more common with long term benzodiazepine users and those who were not properly weaned.  However there was no mention of any structural damage and thus this appears to be a functional issue which should eventually resolve over the course of additional months, or perhaps years in some cases- the same scenario which exists with many other ototoxic drugs.

They may have been using the time tables used for other drugs of addiction when considering cases as being protracted…we now know these are really apples to oranges comparisons and that benzodiazepine withdrawal has many unique aspects which set it apart from these other drugs.

As far as hyperacusis goes, this is most likely also due to functional changes which should reverse with time and not structural damage.  Case in point, I had hyperacusis for my first 3-4 month after discontinuation so bad that I could only watch TV with the volume off. The normal everyday noises in my house rattled me to the core. This has since resolved completely in my case- plus the fact that yours has waxed and waned supports the functional aspect, leading me to believe this is not permanent damage.

Each persons make up and environment is unique and therefore it is not a good idea to compare your case to others on any of the various internet forums.  Perhaps the case of the person on the hyperacusis forum has structural damage, without knowing his/her medical history and what investigations have been done it is difficult to say.

We sometimes make little deals with ourselves in order to cope with our situation.  Thinking about sacrificing your hearing in order to give yourself peace of mind that the hyperacusis will indeed end at some point is a perfect example.  I too have done this with various symptoms- for instance I have told myself that I may go to see a movement disorder neurologist who has a specialty in botox injections if my BW induced toe cramping/crossing did not let up.  These kind of deals with oneself are perfectly normal when symptoms are at an unbearable level for a prolonged period of time.

The important thing is to give your condition the proper amount of time to resolve that reasonably coincides with the benzo withdrawal syndrome recovery timeline.  You might have serious regrets taking drastic measures prematurely.  Recovery from benzos in some cases must be measured in years, not months or days.  This does not mean that one will be supremely miserable the entire time as acute symptoms will dissipate much sooner, but rather that some symptoms may be stubborn and take longer than anticipated to resolve.  Most that have lingering symptoms tend to notice a drastic reduction in severity over time and find them to be annoying rather than on the debilitating scale that is typical to the early days of the withdrawal process.

I would suggest visiting your communities local Deaf Club (wearing ear plugs as the atmosphere can be quite loud- they generally play extremely loud music at these places in order to feel the vibrations) in order to get a firsthand glimpse of what life might be like should you chose to sacrifice your hearing.  I think this experience would be a real eye opener and give you second thoughts regarding such a decision.

I understand the misery after being in your shoes…but offer this hope- many people on this forum have had this symptom clear up, so perhaps you may want to start a hyperacusis thread in order to find out other people experiences for encouragement and support.  My sincerest best wishes to you.

One last thing- the internet pseudo science I was referring to are the ones that offer no references or scientific support- such as anecdotal sites or ones that promote snake oil cures—I think you know which ones I mean.  The articles I present to my doctors are from peer reviewed articles in the medical libraries (PubMed) and medical journals.

Today the Vertigo is still pretty bad, especially if I turn my head sharply or lay/sit down/rise up during the day.  The bed spins for a while after laying my head on my pillow each night.  I have to be especially careful if I get up in the middle of the night to use the rest room to first let the spinning stop before taking one step.  The toxic naps came back with all this, which is interesting.

The oscillopsia seems to be better and the rash seems to be drying up.  Seriously the last time I will ever go to see a physician for something seemingly simple as an ear infection without thoroughly investigating the matter myself- nothing is as simple as it seems.

I found these tips on how to treat and prevent external otitis (outer ear infection and/or

inflammation) on Wiki that looked pretty sensible- here are their recommendations:

• Avoid inserting anything into the ear canal: use of cotton buds or swabs is the most common event leading to acute otitis externa.

• Most normal ear canals have a self-cleaning and self-drying mechanism, the latter by simple evaporation.

• After prolonged swimming, a person prone to external otitis can dry the ears using a small battery-powered ear dryer, available at many retailers, especially shops catering to watersports enthusiasts. Alternatively, drops containing dilute acetic acid (vinegar diluted 3:1) or Burow's solution may be used. It is especially important NOT to instrument ears when the skin is saturated with water, as it is very susceptible to injury, which can lead to external otitis.

• Avoid swimming in polluted water.

• Avoid washing hair or swimming if very mild symptoms of acute external otitis begin

• Although the use of earplugs when swimming and shampooing hair may help prevent external otitis, there are important details in the use of plugs. Hard and poorly fitting ear plugs can scratch the ear canal skin and set off an episode. When earplugs are used during an acute episode, either disposable plugs are recommended, or used plugs must be cleaned and dried properly to avoid contaminating the healing ear canal with infected discharge.

Burow's solution is a very effective remedy against both bacterial and fungal external otitis. This is a buffered mixture of aluminium sulfate and acetic acid, and is available without prescription in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otitis_externa

I found a product Walgreens caries called ‘Domeboro’ that comes in packets that can be mixed with water to make a Burow’s solution- but the better option seemed to be simply buying one which is pre-mixed, such as the Burow's solution Ion Labs makes that come in a 16 oz bottle.

I CAME BACK INTO THIS POST TO MODIFY IT BECAUSE AFTER DOING SOME MORE RESEARCH AND TALKING TO MY PHARMACIST- THE DOMEBORO OTC IS NOT TO BE USED IN THE EARS- I WOULD ALSO NOT TAKE A CHANCE WITH THE OTC ION'S BUROW'S SOLUTION.  TURNS OUT THERE IS A PRESCRIPTION VERSION MADE ESPECIALLY FOR THE EARS CALLED DOMEBORO OTIC WHICH YOU CAN ASK FOR FROM YOUR DOCTOR. I WILL REPORT MORE OF MY FINDINGS ON THE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF DOMEBORO OTIS IN A SEPARATE POST HERE- BUT WANTED TO COME BACK TO MODIFY THIS SO NO ONE WOULD ATTEMPT THIS.  THE BMJ SAID THE OTC VERSION WAS FINE, BUT THE MFRG OF THE OTC VERSION OF DOMBORO'S WEBSITE SAID "DO NOT USE IN EARS."  THIS DISCREPANCY PROMPTED ME TO LOOK INTO THE MATTER FURTHER.  BOTTOM LINE, IT IS ALWAYS BEST CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR AND PHARMACIST BEFORE USING ANYTHING OTC IN YOUR EARS.  THE PRESCRIPTION VERSION DOMBERO OTIS LOOKS VERY PROMISING AND HAS NO OTOTOXICITY, WHICH I WILL ELABORATE MORE ON IN A LATER POST.

Turns out the most effective antibiotic for an outer ear infection, according to the BMJ, is not oral antibiotics but rather ear drops.  I also found it interesting that this article stated research has shown Aluminum acetate works as well as antibiotic ear drops.

http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/pdf/patient-summaries/otitis-externa-standard.pdf

However since external otitis can be caused by either a bacterial microbe or a fungus, you may want to request a test to have your ear fluid tested to know which one you are dealing with.  This is important because if it is a fungus an antibiotic ear drop can worsen the condition- such as in a candida infection, plus antibiotics are not effective for treating fungal infections.  If my own otitis continues I will be requesting testing of the ear fluid to see which type I have.

In the mean time I will finish out the Amoxicillin because the lymph nodes/glands in my throat were swollen, try to keep water out of my ear, and stop using cotton swabs to prevent any further insult to the area.  I have ordered Ion labs Burow’s solution from Amazon to have on hand as well.  I may also forgo shampooing my hair for a week in order to let the canal dry out completely, which I am not looking forward to, but may be necessary in order to help get control over the situation and expedite healing.

P,

You are preaching to the choir ;) But I'm serious - life is short, and any more than a decade of hyperacusis in some severe way and I honestly would not mind the risk of inducing deafness. That said,I do realize that it's highly unlikely my hyperacusis will exist permanently in a severe form, so I don't really believe it will come to that. Like you said, it's one of those fail-safe planned out protective brain farts.

But you're absolutely right - and this discussion is waxing my interest, so thank you. :) Sorry that it went so off topic, though. I can ramble on about this stuff forever if you let me.

You asked for literature, it was the first piece I could recall. But literature regarding PWS in benzo withdrawal is severely lacking, so I generally don't reference it. Because there really is none (by today's standards, speaking to people who've suffered over a half decade in protracted withdrawal, greater than 6-18 months, makes even Ashton's standards 'outdated'). However, her clinic was run a long time ago as well. Unfortunately, there wasn't much more research done after her clinic until Peter Breggin became quite outraged by what he witnessed in Xanax XR's clinical trials. When he blew the whistle, he blew it a little too hard and even scared people, but unfortunately, his work is valid... Valid enough that it sparked a revision in Xanax XR's prescribing information just as recently as 2011. You can view it here: http://www.toxicpsychiatry.com/storage/Xanax%20Label%202011%20March.pdf

After only eight weeks, many trial participants (33%, to be exact) could not even withdrawal from the drug. Eight weeks is not a long time. The FDA had to be frank about the severity of the risks involved with that drug.

There was also the discovery of the flumazenil possibly "resetting" GABA-a receptors by antagonizing them after being benzo free, but that research was hi-jacked by the Coleman Institute and the way Dr. Coleman's protocol with flumazenil is carried out has been ineffective at best.

Additionally when dealing with scientific studies, longitudinal varieties are rarely carried out for anything less than chromosomal, genetic purposes in most cases, and provided that many doctors either deny the existence of, or are unaware of, the protracted withdrawal syndrome associated with benzodiazepines, good luck finding a longitudinal study.

Dr. Reg Peart has stacks of personal accounts in dealings with people in the withdrawal syndrome for a long period of time. After his death, people in the U.K. are having difficulty in legally obtaining his records. I realize Dr. Peart is not a medical doctor, but his studies would be considered longitudinal, and his observations could really contribute to benzo research.

A word about "outdated" information - that term is relative - the information is only considered outdated unless better treatments have been researched and/or developed. So you're correct in that the 6 month mark was likely premature to consider these cases as "permanent," as Ashton's clinic proved otherwise in the future. How many years has dentistry been practiced; has there been any advancement in hypodermic delivery of pain control since the invention of the -caine family of drugs? No- so the same practices that we used nearly a hundred years ago are still being used today in dentistry, and the reason why is because no new research or new techniques have been developed. It's sad, really. Reason being - true allergies to -caine drugs are incredibly rare, but when they do occur, it often leaves people with no choice but to go under general anesthesia for pain control just to get a tooth filled. It's tragic, and proves that not just the benzodiazepine phenomenon is in dire need of new research.

However, when I talk about permanent damage, I'm regarding people who have been benzo free for over a decade. I need two hands to count all of the ones whom I've spoken to personally. They've all gone on to heal but many of them still suffer tinnitus, fasciculations, or some other strange neurological phenomenon which seemingly originates from the Peripheral Nervous System... though, they say it doesn't bother them like it used to, so I would assume it has improved. And these people consider themselves healed for all intents and purposes.

In my opinion - until the protracted withdrawal syndrome is included in the DSM, I don't see any progress to be made. Call it pessimism, I call it reality. It sucks. Here is a good article on some reasons why the PWS is not yet included in the DSM-IV. http://benzowithdrawalsyndrome.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/the-benzodiazepine-protracted-withdrawal-syndrome-its-existence-and-why-it-is-not-included-in-the-dsm-iv-yet/

Sure hope it does. That should, at the very least, validate this condition a little more.

I hope your infection is clearing up, and I have enjoyed our discussion here.

:smitten: M

P,

You are preaching to the choir ;) But I'm serious - life is short, and any more than a decade of hyperacusis in some severe way and I honestly would not mind the risk of inducing deafness. That said,I do realize that it's highly unlikely my hyperacusis will exist permanently in a severe form, so I don't really believe it will come to that. Like you said, it's one of those fail-safe planned out protective brain farts.

But you're absolutely right - and this discussion is waxing my interest, so thank you. :) Sorry that it went so off topic, though. I can ramble on about this stuff forever if you let me.

Glad to read this...I always get a little worried when people discuss permanent drastic measures.  Feel free to visit my blog any time and ramble away, lol.

You asked for literature, it was the first piece I could recall. But literature regarding PWS in benzo withdrawal is severely lacking, so I generally don't reference it. Because there really is none (by today's standards, speaking to people who've suffered over a half decade in protracted withdrawal, greater than 6-18 months, makes even Ashton's standards 'outdated'). However, her clinic was run a long time ago as well.

Agreed.  I am living proof that the 18 month recovery cap is out dated, lol.  Lack of funding is the biggest issue regarding protracted research.  Ashton is always trying to get funds and if she can't, the future doesn't look too rosy.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much more research done after her clinic until Peter Breggin became quite outraged by what he witnessed in Xanax XR's clinical trials. When he blew the whistle, he blew it a little too hard and even scared people, but unfortunately, his work is valid... Valid enough that it sparked a revision in Xanax XR's prescribing information just as recently as 2011. You can view it here: http://www.toxicpsychiatry.com/storage/Xanax%20Label%202011%20March.pdf

After only eight weeks, many trial participants (33%, to be exact) could not even withdrawal from the drug. Eight weeks is not a long time. The FDA had to be frank about the severity of the risks involved with that drug.

There was also the discovery of the flumazenil possibly "resetting" GABA-a receptors by antagonizing them after being benzo free, but that research was hi-jacked by the Coleman Institute and the way Dr. Coleman's protocol with flumazenil is carried out has been ineffective at best.

Thanks to a member who is no longer around who went by the name Vancouvergirl, I am quite familiar with Peter Breggins work.  If there were a hall of fame for people who have tried to bring attention to this issue, he would be a star player.  I have also reviewed the research regarding flumazenil and came to the same conclusion.

Additionally when dealing with scientific studies, longitudinal varieties are rarely carried out for anything less than chromosomal, genetic purposes in most cases, and provided that many doctors either deny the existence of, or are unaware of, the protracted withdrawal syndrome associated with benzodiazepines, good luck finding a longitudinal study.

Dr. Reg Peart has stacks of personal accounts in dealings with people in the withdrawal syndrome for a long period of time. After his death, people in the U.K. are having difficulty in legally obtaining his records. I realize Dr. Peart is not a medical doctor, but his studies would be considered longitudinal, and his observations could really contribute to benzo research.

Dr. Peart, yes, another one for the benzo hero hall of fame.  Personal stories abound, I have read many myself and concrete research is sorely lacking.  If any were to surface I would be talking about it myself.  I think there are many people with residual lingering effects roaming the planet, no doubt.  However without reputable research it is difficult to change minds.  As far as postings on this forum, I always tell people that the research I have found thus far does not indicate permanent damage...however I never deny that people experience persistent symptoms many years out.  While there is nothing out there showing structural changes, it seems that functional changes may not all reverse 100% from what I have seen in real life.  Without longitudinal studies many of us seem to be in uncharted territory, leaving us to cling to hope that all of this will reverse.  With that said most of the people whom I have read about who have lingering sx's claim to be able to still maintain happy lives despite this.  But I am in complete agreement with you that there is much more work that needs to be done.

A word about "outdated" information - that term is relative - the information is only considered outdated unless better treatments have been researched and/or developed. So you're correct in that the 6 month mark was likely premature to consider these cases as "permanent," as Ashton's clinic proved otherwise in the future. How many years has dentistry been practiced; has there been any advancement in hypodermic delivery of pain control since the invention of the -caine family of drugs? No- so the same practices that we used nearly a hundred years ago are still being used today in dentistry, and the reason why is because no new research or new techniques have been developed. It's sad, really. Reason being - true allergies to -caine drugs are incredibly rare, but when they do occur, it often leaves people with no choice but to go under general anesthesia for pain control just to get a tooth filled. It's tragic, and proves that not just the benzodiazepine phenomenon is in dire need of new research.

Again, I am in complete agreement with all you have said.  This is why I said the bulk of the paper was valid...only the timelines seemed to be outdated, and I think maybe one otherthing- i would have to go back and reread the paper to say what that was, but it was a great paper over all and we should never 'throw the baby out with the bath water' right?  As research progresses some items will be validated and other thrown out, this is just the nature of things.

However, when I talk about permanent damage, I'm regarding people who have been benzo free for over a decade. I need two hands to count all of the ones whom I've spoken to personally. They've all gone on to heal but many of them still suffer tinnitus, fasciculations, or some other strange neurological phenomenon which seemingly originates from the Peripheral Nervous System... though, they say it doesn't bother them like it used to, so I would assume it has improved. And these people consider themselves healed for all intents and purposes.

This sound like the very crowd I was referring to.  It appears that many who abruptly discontinued the drug were hit the hardest, myself included.  At 18 months I still have over 30 symptoms- so I had to change my optimism to a more realistic scenario.

In my opinion - until the protracted withdrawal syndrome is included in the DSM, I don't see any progress to be made. Call it pessimism, I call it reality. It sucks. Here is a good article on some reasons why the PWS is not yet included in the DSM-IV. http://benzowithdrawalsyndrome.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/the-benzodiazepine-protracted-withdrawal-syndrome-its-existence-and-why-it-is-not-included-in-the-dsm-iv-yet/

Sure hope it does. That should, at the very least, validate this condition a little more.

:laugh: ......I'm sorry, I have little respect for the DSM to begin with...and since many psychiatrists are involved in the iatrogenic addiction aspect of this problem, I would not put all my eggs in this basket.  I have been trying to take different approaches as it seems the financial ties have corrupted many avenues in the industry.  Contacting my representatives has gotten no where here in the US, but I have had really good correspondence with influential people in the UK.  It is my hope that if they can make serious headway over there, that since they are a Western country it will spill over to the Americas.

Great talking with you as usual...please stop by my blog anytime!

Last night I had the oscillopsia again.  I have probably still been having it and not knowing because each night when I lay my head on the pillow the room spins so bad and the fear of seeing my vision do this prompted me to keep my eyes shut.  However, last night I forced myself to keep them open and sure enough, the oscillopsia was still there.  It only happens if I move my head in certain positions, such as when I lay down…what a nightmare on top of nightmare this has all been.  This adverse reaction to the macrolide has caused a HUGE setback for me in my recovery and is tough to swallow.

After I received the Burows solution I noticed the bottle had different ratios of strength for dilutions in water which led me back to the medical library.  I soon discovered that various strengths are used, depending on what ails you.  This made me look into the OTC Domboro again.  I went to the mfg.’s website and read a warning stating it was not to be used in the ears.  This is because the OTC version has other chemicals added for quick mixing.  A normal solution takes a long time to set up and these chemicals speed up the process- but are not good for ears.

I next stumbled upon a pre-mixed prescription version of Burow’s solution called Domboro Otic.  I was thrilled to find this because Burow’s solutions not only fight BOTH bacterial and fungal infections- but also have no ototoxicity.  So I called my Doctor and he agreed to order it.  I will be picking up the prescription today and we shall see how it goes.

I now realize why both the nurse practitioner and the pharmacist down-played the ototoxicity aspect of this macrolide.  Turns out there is only a 1% chance this will happen with Azithromycin.  However, since I was one of the unlucky ones and know that often times adverse events are under reported,  I reported the event to the FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.  I included in my report that this adverse event happened concurrent with a current Benzodiazepine Protracted Discontinuation syndrome, as I suspect this may have been a contributing factor.

There have been a few cases of permanent ototoxicity occurring from macrolides, and specifically Azithromycin…but the only way I will know is the same way with benzo recovery- by allowing time to pass and see what happens.

I just learned that Azithromycin is actually not a Macrolide but rather an Azolide antibiotic.  I spoke to my pharmacist and she recommended that I change my order for my new Med Alert bracelet to say specifically 'Azithromycin' so there will be no chance of a mix up- so my new bracelet will now include: Benzodiazepines, All Hypnotics, Fluoroquinolones, Steroid Hormones, and Azithromycin- whew! :laugh:

I also learned that the reaction I had was not ototoxic, but rather neurotoxic because the sx's involved both the vision and the vestibular system.  I found several articles in the medical libraries discussing this with the most common adverse central nervous system symptom being delirium.

Here is one such article...I chose this one not because of the elderly subjects, as I am not elderly yet ;D - but because of the following remark:

"In contrast to the adverse central nervous system symptoms associated with clarithromycin, those induced by azithromycin seem to take longer to resolve..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12826358

I thought this was important to know since no one will be able to predict how long my sx's will last- boy this all sounds familiar, lol.

As far as ototoxicity goes...it appears that this can happen even on a low dose:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17963663

I picked up the prescription Domboro Otic ear drops yesterday and started treatment last night.  I will update this thread on the outcome.

I never respected the DSM-IV much either - but imagine if it did include the PWS?

How many doctors would be shooting themselves in the foot and setting themselves up for potential lawsuits...

Which is why it will likely never happen, unfortunately. I mean, they could just use common sense and not prescribe the stuff for longer than two weeks, which would relieve them of  a PWS DSM-IV criterion diagnosis. But I've met few doctors who use common sense.

I'm really sorry to hear you're one of those folks who had such a terrible reaction to Z-pak. (It is news to me that it is an Azalide; I've actually never heard of such a thing, but at least it's not an aminoglycoside?) I usually have terrible reactions to medications, and it is my neurological system that is most sensitive since my benzo saga. Thank God Z-pak didn't have any adverse effects in me. I think it's worth repeating that people usually have a good experience with Z-pak or a horribly bad one, there doesn't seem to be any gray area in between, and it doesn't seem to matter whether one is in benzo withdrawal or not. It does not discriminate. Either it agrees with you or it doesn't, it seems.

Look forward to hear about your drops experience.

Ironic thing happened the other day; I had to go to my doctor's office to pick up some routine lab slips. While I waited at the reception window, the receptionist was on the phone with a patient... the convo went something like this:

Receptionist: Are you sure you received the correct prescription ear drops?

Patient: (apparently said yes)

Receptionist: Are you sure?

Patient: (must have also said yes)

Receptionist: Because I've never heard of anyone experiencing vomiting from ear drops!

k, since when does the receptionist try to figure out the cause of vomiting and differentiate an adverse drug reaction? Jeez. The poor patient could have been experiencing nausea and vomiting due to her EAR PROBLEM that the damn drops were prescribed for. Sorry, lol, went off on a tangent. Thought you might find it interesting. The ignorance still amazes me everytime. I just can't get used to it.

Would love to say 'ello on your blog, but I actually don't get around to those too often (at all?) heh.

Looking forward to your update.

:smitten:

Magnollie,

Just wanted to tell you I misspelled Azalide- I wrote Azolide, sorry for the error, Azalide is the correct spelling.  I do not have my head on right as I am worried about my Mom who is having a very risky surgery tomorrow.  I did not read your entire reply as of yet, but will reply as soon as I get a moment to do so.

• 1 month later...

After researching this topic further, I have discovered the following information discussing the category of antibiotic Azithromycin falls under:

Aminoglycosides that are derived from bacteria of the Streptomyces genus are named with the suffix -mycin, whereas those that are derived from Micromonospora[4] are named with the suffix -micin.[5]

This nomenclature system is not specific for aminoglycosides. For example, vancomycin[6] is a glycopeptide antibiotic and erythromycin, which is produced from the species Saccharopolyspora erythraea (previously misclassified as Streptomyces) along with its synthetic derivatives clarithromycin and azithromycin, is a macrolide.[7][8] All differ in their mechanisms of action, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aminoglycoside

From that explanation it appears there is a lack of standardization with the terms.

After reviewing the following information it appears that the adverse event I suffered from the Z Pack may not be classified as a neurotoxic event, but rather a two-sided loss in vestibulotoxicity, as explained in the following article from the Vestibular Disorders Association:

Vestibulotoxicity symptoms range from mild imbalance to total incapacitation. Symptoms of a vestibular or balance function loss depend upon the degree of damage, if the damage occurred rapidly or slowly, if it’s one-sided or two-sided, and how long ago the damage occurred. A slow one-sided loss might not produce any symptoms, while a rapid loss could produce enough vertigo, vomiting, and nystagmus (eye jerking), to keep a person in bed for days. Most of the time, the symptoms slowly pass, allowing a person to return to normal activities.

A two-sided loss in vestibulotoxicity typically causes headache, a feeling of ear fullness, imbalance to the point of being unable to walk, and a bouncing and blurring of vision (oscillopsia) rather than intense vertigo, vomiting, and nystagmus. It also tends to produce inability to tolerate head movement, a wide-based gait (walking with the legs farther apart than usual), difficulty walking in the dark, unsteadiness or the sensation of unsteadiness, lightheadedness, and significant fatigue. If the damage is severe, symptoms such as oscillopsia and problems with walking in the dark or with the eyes closed will not diminish with time.

http://vestibular.org/ototoxicity

I experienced  a lot of confusion and disorientation during the height of the event which made researching this matter rather difficult and explains the confusion in my previous posts while trying to sort it all out.

The Burrows solution has been working- albeit slowly.  I also have been using silicone ear plugs while I shower to help move things forward.

The oscillopsia has been diminishing over time as well as the vertigo symptoms- however I still have the following symptoms:

Strange ‘brain sensations’ when I move my head

Dizziness

Feelings of brain movement inside my skull

Balance problems that are more prominent in the dark

Nausea

Occasional side to side eye jerking

Fatigue

Slight jumps in vision when lying down

I have still been unable to determine if any of these symptoms will be permanent and to what degree.  It is however encouraging that the symptoms seem to be slowly diminishing with the passing of time.  IMO the risk of this happening is not worth it- and my own personal advice would be to avoid taking Azithromycin (aka- Z Pack, Zithromax) while on or recovering from benzos as both can affect the vestibular system and the chances of an adverse event may be increased due to their cumulative effect.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough go with this one, Perseverance! You'll persevere, I'm sure :)

I've had 'bad' HPPD for 15 years, and it caused me unbelievable anxiety for the first several months. I literally go days or weeks at a time without being consciously aware of it at this point. I've read that the nervous system filters out ~90% of input before it's noticed consciously, and am fairly convinced that various mindfulness techniques can give you conscious control over that, which is why I'm investigating mindfulness and biofeedback to deal with my ear ringing rather than taking more drugs or resigning myself to being on benzos forever.

Pers - I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Z pack. It must have been scary. Perhaps it was from the drug, or from the ear infection alone? Who knows! I personally have taken the z pack several times in wd without any noticeable problem. I wish you the best

Holly x

This medicine helped me a few times with upper respiratory infections and bronchitis.  Worked very well for me, with no noticeable side effects.  i guess all of our bodies are created with different chemistry.

• 3 months later...

ehhh....

As you can read from mine and Pers's other convos, I was on the Zpak (Azithromycin) over the summer, a few months after a reinstatement/failed taper. I didn't have any problems with it then so didn't expect any now.

However I just got done with a round of Zpak due to an ominous ear infection that hit me at the same time as a gastrointestinal virus which started on December 18th (is Christmas over yet?)

Not only is the ear infection still present (Zpak didn't cure it) I had some seriously bad side effect symptoms while on it. Mostly GI symptoms, mental stuff - anxiety, paranoia, OCD, obsessive thoughts, some restless legs, - and also some return of old "acute" withdrawal symptoms such as hyperacusis and paraesthesias/fasciculations all thru my muscles. My heartbeat was also irregular at times and very recently the FDA has found a rare association with Zpak and Long QT syndrome incidences. That freaked me out.

The GI virus wiped my potassium out and I had to be hospitalized for dehydration. I'm still on RX Potassium supplements.

Despite my initial good experience with Zpak I have to say, this one's tricky, as this second experience I had with Zpak wasn't so kind to my body. I only got down to 9.5mg of Valium and ended up reinstating. I really need to get my head on straight and get my ass in gear.

This drug - Seems very hit or miss.... depending on many other factors I assume. I suppose if you need an antibiotic, you need an antibiotic. Just make sure you need an antibiotic.

I still need an antibiotic. this one was ineffective. Next step is finding the appropriate a/b for my ear infection, but I'm gonna give this z-crap a few days to cycle out of my body. jeez oh man

My goodness!  Thank you for sharing that with us.  I didn't know it could do that.  These benzos are really something else.  Like aliens made them or something.