Do Additives in Health Food Supplement and Pharmaceutical Tablets Make us Ill?

[...]

Found this article interesting since both Diazepam and my multi-vitamin turned out to have Silicon Dioxide (Silica) in them.

The Theory

Over-exposure to mineral silicon dioxide can occur via ingestion of excipients found in common drugs in tablet form, health food supplement tablets, foods and the environment, as well as via the lungs.

Mineral silicon dioxide is indigestible and is not bio-available, therefore will not be metabolised. Instead, tiny particles that are not excreted will be trapped in the tissues. Excess accumulated silicon dioxide in the body causes localised reactions: granulomas, fibroids etc. and overproduction of collagen, causing thickening and hardening of connective tissue. The body reacts against the presence of the silicon dioxide further by contracting connective tissue: fascia, muscle, tendons, ligaments etc., thereby causing either localised or widespread contraction of the fascia/muscle matrix over the skeletal frame.

The consequences of this are many and varied; all of which can be intermittent, temporary or chronic. Pressure on connective tissue, nerves and ganglia interrupts neurological function, inhibits blood flow, inhibits proper metabolism, inhibits proper muscle function and inhibits proper and adequate healing responses, inhibits proper nutrition absorption and toxin elimination in tissues and can causes or exacerbate most disorders caused by such factors.

Key factors include:

mechanical constriction of ganglia in the spine: sympathetic and parasympathetic disruption leading to excess acidity, metabolic disorders, fatigue, circulation problems, stomach problems, sleep disorders, anxiety states, depression, allergy, immune disorders etc.

mechanical constriction of blood vessels: reduced blood flow to the head causes headaches, earaches, dizziness, memory impairment, cognitive impairment, fatigue, depression, neurological disorders of various sorts, eye disorders, blood pressure problems, ultimately dementia in extreme cases etc. in CFS there can be reduced blood volume and shrinkage of pre-frontal cortex of the brain.

reduced blood flow to muscles and connective tissues causes pain, contracture, general deterioration, inflexibility, stiffness, joint disorders, excess free radical damage, irritable bowel syndrome, Raynaud’s syndrome, tendonitis, impaired healing of injuries etc., general reduced blood volume in CFS exacerbates these symptoms in chronic states.

Silicon dioxide may be transported through the tissues in blood, lymph, fats and trans-fats, possibly exacerbated by the presence of magnesium stearate that binds the insoluble and indigestible porous silicon and the water it contains with other bodily fluids.

The effects of silicon dioxide on body tissues have been investigated following incidences of illnesses caused by silicone breast implant leakage. Many of the same disorders suffered by the women whose implants leaked or ruptured correlate with a myriad of symptoms experienced by sufferers of disorders generally not linked to silicone implants, nor noticed to be linked to ingestion or exposure to silicon dioxide.

Chronic fatigue disorders are increasingly common and categorised according to sets of symptoms. Many non-CFS disorders share many commonalities with common diseases that are not classified as CFS disorders. A range of CFS disorders may be simply diagnostic subsets of the same disease caused by silicon dioxide, differentiated only by the defining markers of a specific list of symptoms in each case. Furthermore, many common ailments, from general back pain to arthritis, simple allergies to severe immunological disorders, benign cysts to tumours, could be exacerbated or even caused by the consequences of excess silicon dioxide in the body.

This Silicon-Induced Contracture Syndrome (a term coined by the author) can go entirely unnoticed. The effects of silicon dioxide accumulation are gradual and can take from days to years before symptoms become apparent. It also mimics many aspects of the ageing process – musculoskeletal deterioration and brain-related deterioration such as memory problems, fatigue etc.

The contraction of muscle and fascia around the rigid skeleton can also easily go unnoticed, despite a considerable generalised pressure being exerted upon it. Its progress can be so gradual that the individual becomes accustomed to many of the symptoms. Pain may be absent or so slight that it is attributed to general ‘everyday aches and pains’. Even where symptoms are obvious they are attributed to any number of a myriad of recognised disorders.

The syndrome is exacerbated by the treatments for such disorders, as the usual therapies tend to include pharmaceutical pills and/or an increased consumption of health-food supplements in tablet form. Many - and in a great number of cases, most – of the tablets the individual consumes will simply add to the quantity of ingested silicon dioxide and thereby exacerbate the problem. The condition will be assumed to have progressed but the link with the medication or supplements may easily go unnoticed because the illness will gradually display an increase in severity of the same symptoms, whichever tablets are taken. Even if certain substances in the tablets are found to help the symptoms, they may contain silicon dioxide which prolongs recovery and does not allow the body sufficient time to detoxify and heal itself. Therefore cure is prevented and treatment remains symptom-based. This ‘revolving door’ syndrome may then continue for the remainder of the individual’s life.

Whilst silicon dioxide is a relatively inert and non-toxic substance, and is therefore unlikely to cause fatal issues (except in the case of silicosis in the lungs), it can cause or exacerbate an enormous range of common and uncommon illnesses – some of which can be fatal – as a consequence of the way the body‘s defences deal with this irritant.

The Symptoms

Having been a previously healthy person, fairly well-educated in health – a former nurse with an interest in alternative and complimentary health care - I was surprised to develop a range of symptoms over a period of six years that ultimately became debilitating. Not until fairly recently did I realise that I was suffering from Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS), one of the recognised syndromes under the broad banner of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

This condition affects far more women than men but some of the symptoms are also experienced intermittently and in isolation from the others by both sexes, whether or not they are attributed to any form of ‘syndrome’. Recent experiences and observations have suggested to me that there may be a common factor linking these fatigue syndromes, as well as numerous other common and uncommon ailments, that may or may not include fatigue, chronic or otherwise. Many such syndromes may be found to be mere subsets of the same chemically-induced disease.

The main symptoms of FMS are as follows:

Pain - The pain of FMS has no boundaries. People describe the pain as deep muscular aching, throbbing, shooting, and stabbing. Intense burning may also be present. Quite often, the pain and stiffness are worse in the morning and you may hurt more in muscle groups that are used repetitively.

Fatigue - This symptom can be mild in some patients and yet incapacitating in others. The fatigue has been described as "brain fatigue" in which patients feel totally drained of energy. Many patients depict this situation by saying that they feel as though their arms and legs are tied to concrete blocks, and they have difficulty concentrating, e.g., brain fog.

Sleep disorder - Most FMS patients have an associated sleep disorder called the alpha-EEG anomaly. This condition was uncovered in a sleep lab with the aid of a machine which recorded the brain waves of patients during sleep. Researchers found that most FMS patients could fall asleep without much trouble, but their deep level (or stage 4) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity. Patients appeared to spend the night with one foot in sleep and the other one out of it.

Many FMS patients have been found to have other sleep disorders in addition to the alpha-EEG, such as sleep apnea, sleep myoclonus (nighttime jerking of the arms and legs), and restless legs syndrome. A newly discovered sleep disorder, upper-airway resistance syndrome, is also being evaluated for its association with FMS.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Constipation, diarrhea, frequent abdominal pain, abdominal gas, and nausea represent symptoms frequently found in roughly 40 to 70% of FMS patients.

Chronic headaches - Recurrent migraine or tension-type headaches are seen in about 50% of FMS patients and can pose a major problem in coping for this patient group.

Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome - This syndrome, sometimes referred to as TMJ or TMD, causes tremendous jaw-related face and head pain in one quarter of FMS patients. However, a 1997 published report indicated that close to 75% of FMS patients have a varying degree of jaw discomfort. Typically, the problems are related to the muscles and ligaments surrounding the jaw joint and not necessarily the joint itself.

Other common symptoms - Premenstrual syndrome and painful periods, chest pain, morning stiffness, cognitive or memory impairment, numbness and tingling sensations, muscle twitching, irritable bladder, the feeling of swollen extremities, skin sensitivities, dry eyes and mouth, dizziness, and impaired coordination can occur. Patients are often sensitive to odors, loud noises, bright lights, and sometimes even the medications that they are prescribed.

Aggravating factors - Changes in weather, cold or drafty environments, infections, allergies, hormonal fluctuations (premenstrual and menopausal states), stress, depression, anxiety and over-exertion may all contribute to symptom

(List taken from the website of the Fibromyalgia Website at http://www.fmnetnews.com )

...At this point something had to be done. I could not continue like this and a radical change was required or I would soon be seriously ill. I didn’t realise then that I already was severely ill...

Read the full extensive article in The Truth Campaign magazine http://www.ivanfraser.com/articles/health/sics.html

Hi Zoe,

That was some interesting information.  I don't think any of us have an answer to your question, though maybe I'm wrong ???  There is a wide range of opinions when it comes to benzos and supplements of any kind. So, just to clarify, you do have FMS?  That seems like a lot to have to deal with.  I hope you get the best treatment available if you are suffering. 

Take Care,

Maggie

• 5 weeks later...

i use natural source vitamins - it is good to learn which ones are toxic at high levels.

another thing that is good to do is detox with a sauna, with detox tea - with dnronline root or milk thistle.

additives in anything is not good - purse sources are best - but check for how they are processed and produced.

caveat different people react differently to different things.

i take  zinic, calcium and magnesium and have had excellent results i have a lot of muscle pain.

Hi, Silver,

Along those same lines, one of our former moderators found that supplements that are as close to their naturally occuring form caused the fewest problems for people in w/d. That's why she recommended things like whey protein and barley grass (?) powder.

Be careful with the dandelion root and milk thistle, as both those herbs make your liver work more efficiently--and therefore speed up the elimination of benzos, which increases symptoms. It's unfortunate, but during w/d, it's better to have a liver that's somewhat on the slow side!

Many people have good results with magnesium during their tapers. I'm glad it helps you!

Therese

thank you for your advice - i have noted it and will be moving my detox stuffs to the back of the freezer and wait till i am cured - from what i understand it takes 6 months to 1 yr - but i don't think i will wait that long - maybe 3 months after i am done.

i so very much look forward to detoxing - if my fibromyalgia comes back with a vengeance instead of a light roar - then i will have to go for the 3 months after detox.

Silver,

Once the benzos are completely out of your system, you can do a detox. The only reason those herbs make w/d worse is because they're eliminating the drug from your system--so once you're off, there's no more drug to eliminate, and you can detox all you want. I think that two weeks after you've taken your final benzo dose should be long enough to wait before doing a detox.

Therese