Hi I'm a benzo addict!

[br...]

My name is Brandon been on benzos for 6 years now this summer started at 0.5 mg of Xanax 3 times a day went all the way up to 5 pills and a half a day by the end of 2011! Knew I had to stop some day tolerance was so high was having withdrawals even at high does switched to Valium 10 mg 5 times a day now im down to 20 mg a day and barley started to get bad withdrawals" I feel like im  going crazy I don't know if I can do it. Thats why Im here im scared im 28 now I started when I was 22 I  dont want to wast my life away being on these pills that ruined my life" Hoping I can get some kind of help here. I don't know if 6 years is alot to be on benzos wondering if it even matters. I almost got off them in 08 should of, But was too shell shocked of the withdrawals kind of feel the same as they did then! Day 1 on here almost at  the finish line down to 20 mgs of Valium this Sunday will be down to 15 mg of Valium next Sunday after that I will be down to 10 mg a day then next Sunday 5 mg day then Zero.... AND HOPEFULLY WILL MAKE IT! Its going to be hard but Ive barely started feeling the hard pain this week maybe thats a good thing Feeling it just now then through the whole tapering!

Hello brandon :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies, your not going crazy and you can do this I personally think your tapering way to fast

Here is a link to The Ashton Manual its recommended to reduce 5/10% every 10/14

Feel free to check out the forum and post if you want to, others will be along shortly to welcome you.

Make yourself comfortable you'll find a great community of people who are here to support and encourage you

Let us know If you have any questions and we will do our best to answer them

This will take you to The General Taper Board  Click Here

If you wish to add a signature this link will show you how Click Here

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi Brandan,

Welcome to BB.

Good for you..changing your life. You can do this..and 27 is a perrrrfect time. You will find loads of good info here as well as good advice..you already have; from magrita. Do yourself a big favor and read up on that Manual. This is not a sprint but a marathon. Slow it down..give your CNS (Central Nervous System) time to catch up with the taper. We are here to support you no matter what route you take to get off these 'destroyers of life.' I am beyond grateful for finding BB and being free of these pills...you will be too. Take good care of you and know whatever symptom is popping up at any given time...while you are tapering ..healing is taking place.

Wishing you a smoooth taper!

:thumbsup:

w1

Hi Brandon,

I think you will feel less fear if you slow down in your taper.  Your body needs time to adjust.

You will succeed.  Take one day at a time.

Well-done for choosing to turn your life around!

Lizie

Hello Brandon,

Welcome to the forum !

You will get plenty of support here from a group of very caring and knowledgeable people.

I'm sorry you are feeling so rough right now. I agree with the others, you are tapering far too quickly. This is almost certainly the reason why you are experiencing such severe symptoms. I'm sure if you slowed your taper rate down you would find that your withdrawal symptoms would be much more manageable.

A slow taper is advised to keep the withdrawal symptoms manageable and the individual fairly functional.

Magrita has given you the recommended guidelines for tapering and she has given you a link to The Ashton Manual which is a good basic resource for understanding benzodiazepines and how to withdraw from them. There is a withdrawal schedule for diazepam  in The Ashton Manual, chapter 2.

You are still very young and providing you taper slowly and carefully of course you'll get your life back.

Perhaps you could fill in a Signature line (history of use & taper ) The Signature enables other members to see, at a glance, what meds you are taking and where you are up to with your taper so that you can be properly advised when you need it. Magrita has given you the link explaining how to create a Signature.

I'm glad you found us and I wish you well.

Debbie  :)

Yeah Thats what I been thinking myself" Thanks everybody feels good to know theres others that care makes me feel like their is hope and makes me stronger! I know now that the reason I feel these withdrawals is because I lowered so fast I went from 120 mg of benzos down to 20 mg of benzos from April to now never felt a single bad withdrawal till this week" I found out 3 weeks ago that my wife is pregnant" Shes 12 weeks now And I want to be benzo free for me and my new baby and my 2 kids and wife as well! I put me first because I know I have to do this for me or else it wont work! Im down from 25 mg to 20 mg since this last Sunday" I should of went down to 22 mg? Im not sure but Ill have a Look at the manual and I am more than grateful for all of ya'll's help I dont feel so scared anymore thanks to ya'll people that understand! ps should I go back up to my 25mg or at this point  5 days in would it be a bad idea? 

Hi Brandon

Congratulations to you and your wife. Your going to be fine you are definitely not alone

Make yourself comfortable and have a look around

Magrita

Had one more Question does tapering down on benzos make your eyes hurt or feel weird I been feeling that alot and I have been still working out like Muscle building not cardiac exercise. And I been having weird smells like Hospital smell is that normal? Also had some stomach pain and nausea when sleeping!  :sleepy: 

Hi Brandon

I had lots of eye problems during my benzo journey, sore gritty eyes and sensitive to light which is quite common with these meds

It all sounds like withdrawals to me but Its always best to get these things checked by your doctor tho

Magrita